Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 01:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Shades or Blinds for Front Windshield  (Read 4944 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »

Cindy,

Our simple solution on the 4104 is three curtains across the bus just to the rear of the "D" windows. They hang on a fancy decorative rope which fastens to a hook on each side plus two more hooks inside the original overhead luggage rack.

It leaves the driver's area open but we don't use that area anyway when parked.

The rope comes down in the morning and the three curtains are folded and stowed for traveling. Takes about 3 minutes to install or take down.

If you're interested I can send some photos and a sketch of the hook setup.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 09:56:37 PM »

We are dealers in Day/Night blinds and that is what we use on ours.  It was cheep and we installed one on drivers side window, two for the front windshields and one over door glass.  This works out great for us as easy to use, always out of the way, and when driving we could also lower part way to keep sun out.  Just a thought  Jim.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 04:52:05 AM »

When using the day/night shades on the windshields for sun visors while driving, how do you keep them from swinging and banging the windshield? 

What does a single unit like this cost?  One that's wide enough to cover one side of the windshield?

I've been wanting to find some spring loaded roll down sun visors like are used on the newer buses that have the metal guide rods along the sides. These seem to be about the best for sun visors and can be used for privacy at night if they're wide enough.

Anyone know where to find some of these at a reasonable price?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 06:07:17 AM »

When using the day/night shades on the windshields for sun visors while driving, how do you keep them from swinging and banging the windshield?†

Gumpy,

The blinds we had in a conversion van had two parallel strings on each side that acted as a guide for the shade and provided the friction surface for the the partial opening/ shade/privacy.† If my old memory serves me I dont think the blinds were connected at the top or bottom so you had the option of privacy low and still see out and let light in at the top or store at bottom or top.† The biggest problem I remember was the kids messing up the pleats, or the strings breaking.

NewbeeMC9
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 06:20:51 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 07:04:24 AM »

When using the day/night shades on the windshields for sun visors while driving, how do you keep them from swinging and banging the windshield?†

Mine were mounted a couple of inches away from the windshield, above it. Never had a problem with them swinging and hitting the windshield and making noise. Although I can not remember for sure, I think it was the natural slope of the windshield away from the blinds that prevented this problem.† Hmmmm. since it was no problem, how could it have been a problem? Is that called an oxymoron?
Richard
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:06:46 AM by Driving MissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

The Day / Night blinds that we have mount on brackets at the top and they have strings that goes down the sides and fasten to the bottom or the sides at the bottom.  The top brackes can either mount on the surface or can mount recess into an opening (needs about 1 1/4")  I a window is open and blind is down they will sway a little but we have had ours for about 5 years and have not replace anything yet.  My wife and I have 9 children so it gets it's share of use.  Jim Atnip
Ace

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 06:22:55 PM »

Craig I was a little concerned about the swaying of the blinds/shades as well, so what I did was mount them as usuall and I installed a 1 inch piece of wooden angle (trim molding) to each vertical side. The blind/shade is actually behind the one side of the angle as if it were framed, on both sides. The shade slides up and down as needed but never comes outward. You could probably do another piece of molding on the inside sort of like boxing it in!  It would be like 2 "L's" back to back.

You can kind of get the idea by going here>

http://groups.msn.com/AceRossiMotorsports/foolsgold2.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=595

If you need better pics or explanation, let me know!

Ace
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 08:10:40 PM »

I've seen them mounted this way on the side windows. Dresses up the window, and seems to work well with the shades. 

Did you use this same concept on your windshield?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »

in reading the latest catalog from camping world I noticed an add for custom made shades for sides and windshielf. they looked pretty good and have a heat/sun blocker on the outside. of course you have to measure and hopefully you got everything correct... Cry
Ace

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 04:38:00 AM »

Craig our H-3 has the stock motorized shades that move with a push of a button on the front winshields and they seem to work just fine for now. I don't exactly like the rods that they slide on but for now they work ok. If (when)  I get around to finishing the front section, I will probably incorporate the  same idea using a larger trim molding. I know others that have done similar and it works ok for them. Some of the higher end coaches I have looked at are starting to do something like this and they look good and finished as well!

Acer.

D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 11:42:45 AM »

Ace, I have the same question as gumpy.† Did you use the "L" framework on the front windshield as well?† Pictures of front windshields with shades (on the inside) would be appreciated from anyone... Please.† I purchased some redi-shades, but, seem to have trouble with the gap at the top of the window.† I used them in a vertical position.† Doesn't seem like that will work without a valance on front windshield as well.† I don't want that!† So, I put that idea aside.† Those power shades sounds interesting.† Anyone have a website for them?† Any info would be appreciated.† Thanks everyone for your help!†

Cindy

Ace

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »

Cindy here is what I wrote in my last post to Craig aka Gumpy!

"If (when)  I get around to finishing the front section, I will probably incorporate the  same idea using a larger trim molding"

I have NOT done the front window YET but I will probably do something pretty similar to what I did in the rear BR as I described but only use a larger trim molding. I think whatever you use be it horizontal or vertical, your probably going to find that you WILL need some sort of trim or valance to hide the gaps as the windows are not very sqaure especially the front windshield! FWIW after attending a few bus rallies and rv parks during the evening hours, I don't think I would want the windshield completely closed off because I for one was being snoopy and trying to see what has been done to the inside. When you see a little light on thru the shades you think you can see what the owner has done. NOT!  A little gap here and there also won't allow the outside ogglers like me, to see ones naked butt, but it will sure tease them when they are curious as to the conversion! Leave a little gap and let their minds wonder! Smiley

Ace
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: