Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 02:33:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gulf Coast Oil Filter?  (Read 2094 times)
Mike in GA

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2006, 06:37:29 PM »

The SE Bus Nuts had a nice rally near Atlanta this weekend - about 35 coaches. One guy drove his Peterbilt tractor sans trailer, and impressed us all by announcing his 1 million mile Series 60 has only had the oil changed a few times. His oil filter uses - believe it or not - two new rolls of Scott paper towels. Every 7,500 miles he pulls the old rolls out, adds new ones for a couple of bucks, tops it off with a couple of gallons of fresh oil, and that's it. He claims oil doesn't wear out, it just gets dirty. The new oil he adds replenishes the additives. Apparently thie system was created for the commercial fishing boats along the Gulf Coast. Has anyone tried using this in their bus?
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

Those filters have been around since back in the late '60s... That's when I first saw one. I only saw single roll filters. They aren't "full flow" filters...only a part of the oil flow goes thru them. Same claim then...don't have to change the oil often. It was a remote mounted silver can the size of a roll of toilet paper...or two stacked rolls of paper towels, and an inlet and outlet. Inlet tapped into the oil pressure sender fitting. They had a return oil line fitting that was installed into the oil pan by by driving a punch thru the pan side. Then a special fitting was screwed into the punched hole. There may be better ways with the new designs.
I suppose they must not be too harmful if they're still around. Doubt that I'll be trying one.
I suppose that's more anyone really wants to know about these filters...but they've been around a looong time.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:16:44 PM »

Our bus runs a single toilet paper filter that's good for over 1500 miles per change. We use it to hold down the soot, but it also keeps the dirt fines out down to 1/2 micron or so.

We use oil analysis reports, and as long as they are favorable, and we don't have any bad luck, we'll probably keep doing it. Our oil consumption couldn't be any lower.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, AK 99901

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »

You might want to check out these sites:

Motor Guard, Paper towel Filters:

http://www.bypassfilter.com/

Frantz Oil Filters:

http://www.wefilterit.com/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:38:45 PM »

Yep...that's what was around for 40 plus years. I"m pretty sure that Frantz is was the what they called them. Looks like the inlet has been modified...with an oil filter adaptor. My fear of such things is the potential for failure...and the results. I've got a low oil pressure shutdown built into the DDEC...but I guaruntee we don't want to test it! Undecided
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: