Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Service Insurance - AAA Vs. Good Sam?  (Read 4566 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:06 AM »

Rv_Safetyman just had an occasion to use his road service insurance with AAA & his experence is referenced here:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3599.0

I just got an ad for Good Sam for their package for the amazingly low price of $12/yr. It says it includes "discount rates on towing & repairs". I have heard good things about Good Sam on this board.

I have the sneaking feeling the $12 program is not the one some of you guys have. What is the REAL cost and name of the "good" program that includes towing for free?

Secondly, has anyone had experence with both Good Sam & AAA? How do they compare?

Any other comments/experences welcome.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:43:01 AM »

OMS,
Good Sam has a couple of different plans for towing.

What most people opt for is the $79.95 Road Service plan.

http://www.goodsamers.com/index.cfm?promocode=DRCJUN135&AID=10294062&PID=1467387

Or the next one up, the platinum service, which I see is the same price as the regular service right now.

http://www.goodsamers.com/members/platinum/benefits.cfm

The only problem I have with Good Sam and AARP and FMCA is that they spend more in paper and postage filling my post office box with junk mail than I give them in money every year.  Smiley Wink
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:48:26 AM »

oldmansax,

I have Good Sam roadside and towing. Last june on the way to StarJet, you might remember, the jeep tire blowing out..

I got on the phone with Good Sam, [on hold for 65 min's] in the mean time, Bruce Knee called his AAA and they had a truck

behind my bus before I ever had a chance to talk to anyone at Good Sam. Now, grant you I was on the PA turnpike in

102 deg. temps outside.  I just think AAA has a better network on the major highways.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »

I have AAA for car tow, and Good Sam for the bus.  AAA is area based, so if out of your area, can be a bit harder for the tow.
I recently had the opportunity to experience my Good Sam tow.  I was heading to Las Vegas from Los Angeles, got about 35 miles before Baker at a rest stop and discovered I had a fuel leak.  I drove on to Baker where there is a tow service that asked if we had Good Sam coverage.  The tow service has never had a problem collecting from Good Sam and the response time was fast from the head quarters of Good Sam.  Good Sam will tow you to the nearest repair facility which in this case was back at Barstow, 65 miles back.  I was going to Las Vegas and that was 98 miles.  I paid the extra $115.00 to go to Las Vegas, and off my bus went on the back of the Landoll trailer.  No problems.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:09:23 AM »

Regarding Good Sam:   Don't they require less than 10 year old vehicle?  If so how do you get service?  We have (think ,we have) coverage thru Progressive  (AIS).  Have not used it yet, so I don't know if it is any good or not.    Denis
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »

I had Good Sam, and did have to use them once, they did the job, although the tow truck operator had been in ill health and I was his first call after several months, so he was very unorganized - read took much longer than he should have.

I really hated the TON of stuff Good Sam sends you in the mail.  I switched to FMCA largely because of the mail thing.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »

The one good thing with FMCA you DO NOT get any mail from companies other than FMCA it self.
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 03:55:55 PM »

I have The AAA plan ,but they cancelled after towing my bus 11 miles. I plan on going to Good Sam. Maybe they just have to get rid of all that paper;huh?
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

FWIW, my son heats with a wood stove so whatever junk mail  I get just helps him heat his house.  Grin Grin

I already know we are ruining the enviroment & the fumes are toxic.

Delaware

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:15:14 PM »

You have probably already read it, but there are some good opinions on Good Sam Club in this post:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=1527.0

I just got an ad for Good Sam for their package for the amazingly low price of $12/yr. It says it includes "discount rates on towing & repairs". I have heard good things about Good Sam on this board.

I have the sneaking feeling the $12 program is not the one some of you guys have. What is the REAL cost and name of the "good" program that includes towing for free?

Regarding Good Sam:   Don't they require less than 10 year old vehicle?

That is not the roadside assistance plan, I think you are referring to the plan Nick referenced in this post:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3582.0

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »

I have Good Sam road service $79.00 per year.  Less than two months after signing up I had to use it three times. First was a jump start after the wife left the lights on, on the jeep. The next was when the fuel pump went out. They landdolled it into Las Vegas. Two weeks later I got stuck turning around on soft ground. They sent out the big wrecker to get me out.  I didnt see a single invoice  all paid for by Good Sam.  I expected at least a warning letter or a letter cancelling the service but nothing in the mail.  The service was fast and Good Sam called to confirm that the tow was on the way and after the ETA  they called to confirm that the tow had arrived.  So far I could not have ask for more.

73 MCI-7
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 06:42:21 AM »

I went through all posts referenced on this thread and so far we have 6 positives for Good Sam, 1 for AAA, and 4 for CoachNet. I probably started out with the wrong question. I am going to put up a poll on this as soon as I figure out how.  Grin

Stay tuned............

Delaware

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: