Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:12:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KOA doesn't like Buses?  (Read 6118 times)
Dallas

« on: March 18, 2007, 08:53:09 AM »

As of this morning, the manager of the KOA in Florence, SC. informed my wife that he had just returned from "KOA University" and they told him that busses were not welcome at KOA except for some classes. One of the classes that were welcome included 'skoolies' because they were "Short". A 35' bus is longer than a 35' motor home or school bus? Hmmm, interesting.

He also informed us that we could not stay past April 1, 2007.

Hmmm. I know my bus isn't the most beautiful in the country, but, I didn't think it was that bad. I have no chimney sticking out a window, I don't dump on the ground and my area is cleaner than probably 80% of the spaces on the place.

I believe this is a case of discrimination, and By golly, I'm rather miffed about it., (He said understatedly).

It may be interesting to fight this one through the courts, but I'm not sure where to start on it. Any ideas?

Even if it's a losing battle, at least we can raise hell.

By the way, we were planning on moving at the end of the month anyway because of the unfriendlyness of the campground management.

Let the flames begin!

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »

Did KOA buy the campground you are in? I read about there going to be an auction but never heard the results.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:05:53 AM »

Good morning Dallas. Well this is not good! Jeez, i just bought a KOA Value Kard on my trip last month. I think i will call them tomorrow morning and ask for a refund if that is to be a policy of KOA!  

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:07:34 AM »

I guess till the end of the month, I'd make darn sure they see the difference in the way you currently are and the way it could be! Hell, if they're gonna ban you for no reason, then give them a reason!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »

He also informed us that we could not stay past April 1, 2007.

Hmmm. I know my bus isn't the most beautiful in the country, but, I didn't think it was that bad. I have no chimney sticking out a window, I don't dump on the ground and my area is cleaner than probably 80% of the spaces on the place.

I believe this is a case of discrimination, and By golly, I'm rather miffed about it., (He said understatedly).

It may be interesting to fight this one through the courts, but I'm not sure where to start on it. Any ideas?

Even if it's a losing battle, at least we can raise hell.

• Ask the campground for a written specific explanation for the action.  If they refuse, obtain a copy of the new rules/agreement.
  • With the written explanation in your posession, contact the KOA headquarters for their clarification whether that is truly the position of their organization.  Get their response in writing.
  • Once you have all of this, study it yourself as objectively as you can to determine if it worth pursueing.  If you find that you can't be objective due to the personal offensiveness of it, get a friend that does not have a stake in the issue to study it with you.
  • If you then decide it is worth the trouble, take the papers to a lawyer specializing in tenants rights

All that said, as much as I share your offense with this and agree it is discrimination, I don't feel that there is viable legal challenge here.  However, if it is not truly a KOA policy, then bringing the written statement from the campground owner to the attention of KOA may bring some pressure on the campground.  If it is a policy of the KOA then they may reconsider when challenged with level headed, logical counterpoints such as length comparisons, turning radius, etc.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38:30 AM »

Unfortunatley not much you are going to be able to do.

KOA is not a landlord but a business and they have the right to refuse service to whoever they want for whatever reason.

Something you might do is contact FMCA and Good sam etc who have Bus Members.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »

Unfortunatley not much you are going to be able to do.

KOA is not a landlord but a business and they have the right to refuse service to whoever they want for whatever reason.

Something you might do is contact FMCA and Good sam etc who have Bus Members.

Agreed, I doubt there is legal standing for a challenge in court, but if there is one, I believe it falls in tenants rights.   Whether dealing with a rental apartment, motel or campsite, the foundation is a rental agreement for a place of lodging.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 10:03:41 AM »

Personally, I would hate to see more law suits over what someone wants to do with their own property. Plus, I agree that there probably isn't much you could do.

THAT SAID, let's "GIVE'EM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  If that ends up actually being their stance, let's just get our organizations involved that we all belong to -AND- I think large bumpers stickers letting the rest of the camping public know that these guys are douche bags!  Cheesy
  If they end up having that opinion about us (or even something close) , well, they don't need my money.
  Campers are a community of freinds and like minded people. I think letting others know could have an effect on them. (in their wallet!)

Just an opinion. (not worth .02)
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

I strongly suspect that KOA will completely clear the campground of any/all tenants while they make any changes/improvements required to bring it up to KOA standards.

I believe Dallas stated earlier that not all campsites had utilities, and based on the age of the campground, many campsites will probably require upgrading to 50 amp service, sewer, water, telephone and any other changes that KOA may decide to make.

I know if I was doing that, I would want the tenants all gone for a couple of months. Once that work was completed, then tenants would be accepted based on the rules/regulations established by the owners.
Richard

P.S. And if they cleared the campground of ALL tenants, then they could not be accused of discrimination.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:42:20 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 10:36:54 AM »

Just go find somewhere else to stay. I personally get tired of all the bright yellow they wear.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 10:45:38 AM »

Here is a link to an email feedback/complaint form for the KOA Customer Service Dept.
belfert

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »

I thought Dallas and Cat moved from their previous campground, the one that was being sold?  I believe the KOA is not the one being sold.

Brian Elfert
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »

While we have no way of knowing whether this is an official KOA policy or some ad hoc local deal, it would be no big loss if it is in fact KOA policy, IMHO.  I can only remember ever staying in 2 KOAs in 20+ years of travelling. One of them was no flying h*ll, the other was downright ugly.  So ugly in fact that Marilyn wrote to KOA headquarters and eventually got a call from the pres of KOA saying that it had been punted out of their system, for whatever that is worth.  I think I'd just as soon stay in a WallyMart parking lot as a KOA.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »

Yes,
We moved from the campground that is being sold.

We moved up the road 19 miles to a KOA so that Cat could keep her job.

Thanks to everyone, especially the ones who have more legal experience than I, (not difficult). I probably will not persue civil litigation, but I am tired of the discrimination campground owners put on bus owners.

I did a quick search through the SC statutes and came up with a few things that prohibit a landlord from discriminating, and since we are monthly renters, it is a landlord - tenant situation.

I am NOT, as I stated earlier, a litigious person. I have no faith in our legal system, since I've seen too many times what happens in small towns and communities when one side is locally powerful or otherwise established.
It doesn't matter whether the more powerful one is in the right or not.

Here is a piece of the SC statutes that pertains to this situation I believe:

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t45c009.htm

Thanks,
Dallas
captain ron

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »

I have always steered clear DOA (KOA) campgrounds. There expensive and too many rules & Regulations. I wouldn't piss in or on one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: