Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 06:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KOA doesn't like Buses?  (Read 6182 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »

I guess this means there is no use in me making reservations there when I come down for the auction Smiley You will have to find another option for me assuming I put together the financing.  Grin

I don't think you have any grounds for legal action either, but I think any anti-bus  regulations should be publicized  in any way possible.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Dallas (and others) -

I just fired off a message to KOA Corporate HQ, requesting a clarification on this KOA University policy, if, in fact, it actually exists.

According to their website, they will respond within 48 business hours (which would be Tuesday afternoon).

Don't be hasty - gotta have the correct ammo to fight this type of thing.

It appears that Jim Rogers, the CEO of KOA, is also an avid RVer, according to some industry publications.  Depending on their response to my email, the next step might be a professionally-worded letter written directly to him.

Let's see what happens. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

I have stayed at a number of KOAs with my 4104 and have never met with any resistance because I am a bus owner. No one has even raised an eyebrow, and the only comments I typically get are the "Hey, what year is that bus?"

Personally, I don't have preference for or against staying at KOAs. They are pretty middle-of-the-road, as far as I am concerned, and rarely make my list of the best or worst places we have stayed. Kinda like at eating at some restaurant chains.... you just sort of know what you are going to get.

I agree with the comment that you should look into this further and find out what the corporate policy truely is.  Under most circumstances, if an independent campground were to deny you entrance, there is probably little recourse, in the courts or otherwise

One aspect that does make this interesting however is the fact that KOA has membership cards. Last year I dropped a few dollars and bought a card which entitles me to stay at KOAs for a discounted rate. If I were to show up at a KOA with my membership card in hand and was denied access for a reason that was not disclosed when I purchased the card, that could get interesting.  Potential breech of contract grounds. At a minimum, it would enable me to make KOA state their declared policy, and side with either me or the campground owner.

Unless further information is uncovered, I am probably still going to periodically stay at a KOA, at least until I hit a problem. But keep us posted on what you find out.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »

I thought I would let you folks know exactly what was said to me today. 
The owner told me that KOA had just changed their rules and now NO bus will be allowed in, no matter what condition or age.  When I asked about the skoolie here, I was told that because of his length he can stay.  I was then told that they will also no longer allow long time camping here.  When I asked about the family that I know has been here for over 4 years, I was told that length of stay depends on the unit itself.  The owner had already told us HE wants all old units out of here.  When we checked in he stood and watched as the clerk processed my payment and THEN, told us we weren't supposed to be allowed in. I had made a point of telling them we had a bus when we called for reservations.  This, supposedly, was before he went to KOA university.  I asked about why Devin wasn't allowed in to visit with us and he told me that he had already broken the rules by allowing us in.   Somehow, I feel that if someone was to pull in with a fancy unit there would be no hassle whatsoever.  The owner claims he told the PTB that Dallas and I were "good people" but they said NO busses, no matter what or who.  He also stated that KOA will probably end up buying this campground from him since they are apparently trying to buy lots of these places. 

We have stayed at KOA before and it was in our older bus that was pulling a camper on a trailer and there was no comment of any kind made about us.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 06:55:57 PM »

It will be interesting to hear from KOA. Obviously, if we are banned, the vote with your wallet wonít work. But the word of mouth, for good or bad, can have a much greater long term effect. It can be a slow bleed for sure if they want it. I am big on feedback; letís see what kind they get. Undecided
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:33:26 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »

I dont know if they are a american company or not but there web site shows 4 other countries flags. no american flag.

Pete & Jean
           Fantasy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:31:51 PM by pete81eaglefanasty » Logged

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 07:48:26 PM »

I don't usually stay at the KOA's but I for one will be more than happy to send off an email or two telling them that they will NEVER get my business "IF"
we find out that it is in fact a new corporate policy. I'm sure that there are other bus nuts that would do the same.
But I will wait for the response from the KOA office before doing so. I just want to make sure that you are not just being singled out, and that person is just too timid or afraid to tell you the real reason and is using KOA as the scapegoat.
Let us know what the KOA has to say about it when you find out.

JimCallaghan 4106
Wisconsin

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »

I dont know if they are a american company or not but there web site shows 4 other countries flags. no american flag.

Pete & Jean
           Fantasy

I love that observation.  The web design job was probably outsourced to another country.   Wink

Actually, in this case, it is a link to a page for international website visitors to use for selecting another language.  I do think it would have been better had they also included an American flag since one of the language options on that page is English.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »

I'm surprised that KOA will allow long-term camping.  Most "modern" or "corporate" (for lack of better term?) campgrounds have strict one or two week camping limits. 
Most have so many rules that anyone could be ordered out at any time.   
Mecklenburg County limits the term here. 
The little "Mom and Pop" campgrounds are where you want to locate for long term, "no rules" living. 
I've stayed in various KOA campgrounds and never had a problem with them...they were all sort of worn out.  Never been in a really nice KOA.  I'm sure that they exist...just haven't been in one.  Nicest campground I've been in is at DisneyWorld in Florida. 
Cat, have you looked around for an individual that may have a mobile home lot, or location that you could run some water and power up?  Networking at work...maybe thru the in-house bulletin board may turn up something.
You could also buy a mobile home or small home, and park the bus behind the home, power and plumb everything up in the bus, and rent the home.  You could live really inexpensively. 
I'd scour the small campgrounds for accomodations.   
Is the bus running good?  I didn't realize that ya'll had moved.
Good Luck!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.Ē

Ayn Rand
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 04:06:27 AM »

KOA does have a rule of no long time campers but does allow camping on a month to month basis and there are campers that have been here for over 4 years, and two that I have talked with that have been here for 1 1/2 years each. 

We were offered places to stay by 2 different co-workers but Florence County will only allow it if DEHC inspects the bus and it has mobile home type connections (permanent, not hook up) and it requires a special permit.  There is another campground we can move to and I'm sure there are a few other small ones around. 

I think, with us, it is the principle of the situation.  The skoolie can stay because it is short but we have to leave because NO bus is allowed.  I know I'm not a genius but.......I always thought a skoolie was a bus.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 06:51:51 AM »

Sounds like there's a bit of the "good ol' boy" thing going on there.  If the manager wanted you to be there, there wouldn't be a probem.  If it really is a corporate decision, then the school bus would be gone as well.  As for the size, your bus is 35' right?  Same as the schoolie?  So if the schoolie can stay because of the size, why can't you?

Ross
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »

Some of this just seems odd.  In that the skoolie  of 35 foot would be preferred over the motorhome of 40 or 45 foot?  How is it a length issue then?  what about a fifth wheel of 45+ feet? 

Grrr.

Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »

Maybe they just don't like you...

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 08:10:49 AM »

I agree with Ross and Phil, we are missing something here. You would think that a schoolie (Iím thinking stereotypical schoolie) would be out first over a bus conversion. Post some photos of the schoolie so we can see what it looks like. I might be confused, are they basing the decision on looks or length?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 08:37:44 AM »

Just had a kind of off the wall idea.  Could it be that this campground owner got wind of the bus conversion community's discussions about buying the other property?  If so, maybe he is personally picking on bus conversions because he thinks a bunch of busnuts will be his competition in the near future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: