Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KOA doesn't like Buses?  (Read 5888 times)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »

Dallas, didn't make the calls to downgrade you or your coach. Merely wanted to see what game if any this KOA was trying to play. Sounds to me like they are descriminating your coach due to it's age rather than it's size.
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »

Dallas,
   Here is the reply and my email to the KOA at Florence.  It sounds like they are discriminating against you.

We would be happy to have you stay with us a few days.  However, we are completely full May 10-13 for the NASCAR race in Darlington.  If your planned date is not during that time, please either call the office or go on line to reserve.

Thank you!

Jean

-----Original Message-----
To: florencesckoa@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 8:02 AM
Subject: Making reservations at your campground

We plan to be in the Florence area in mid May for a few days before going to Myrtle Beach for a large bus conversion rally at the North Myrtle Beach Travel Park. I read on a bus conversion bulletin board that you do not allow bus conversions or motorhomes over 35'.  Is this Correct? Our Coach is a 40' 2003 conversion.  Jack Conrad

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »

Dallas,
   Here is the reply and my email to the KOA at Florence.  It sounds like they are discriminating against you.

We would be happy to have you stay with us a few days.  However, we are completely full May 10-13 for the NASCAR race in Darlington.  If your planned date is not during that time, please either call the office or go on line to reserve.

Thank you!

Jean

-----Original Message-----
To: florencesckoa@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 8:02 AM
Subject: Making reservations at your campground

We plan to be in the Florence area in mid May for a few days before going to Myrtle Beach for a large bus conversion rally at the North Myrtle Beach Travel Park. I read on a bus conversion bulletin board that you do not allow bus conversions or motorhomes over 35'.  Is this Correct? Our Coach is a 40' 2003 conversion.  Jack Conrad

Wow......

Hay Dallas, Time to get out the big guns...Huh!

Great Job Jack!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »

To me, this is a case of why stay someplace that you are not wanted. You can probably present a bunch of evidence and convince them to let you stay, but the owners are going to be miserable to you as long as you stay there. Constant little annoyances like not getting you mail promptly or your garbage missing the pickup, even a tripped circuit breaker when you come home to a hot bus and a warm fridge.

I stayed in a lot of KOAs for one or two nights or for up to six months. I found them all pretty much middle of the road. I never hit a bad one, but I also never hit an outstanding one.  I did hit several that were vastly overpriced, but I can only think of one that I wouldn't return to because of the attitude of the management.  In one, I had a problem with the son of the owner, but when I spoke to the father, the problem went away very quickly.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »

Hey, Well I just couldn't resist.

I wonder at the mentality of some of the campground managers or owners. A while back I heard that if your motorhome/bus conversion was fairly decent looking that most places would let you in. However one manager I ran into said that at the first sign of an air conditioner hanging out of a side window of buses, motorhomes or travel trailers the was to ask them to leave and not come back. They also had a thing about paint quality and cleanliness. No scrunge on the sides or roofline, a/c covers had to be like new and if there was even a hint that a mechanical problem existed the owner would be ejected by whatever means necessary.

If these campground operators ever attended a real bus rally I am sure that they would change their rigid and sometimes outragious opinions about the buses and their owners. We have buses because we want to, Not because we are despondent, broke or mentally unstable (usually)...

Many of us could probably have bought many nice looking Sticks-N-Staples that would be agreeable to them. But to slam someone arbitralily because they have an older bus conversion. Just speaks volumes about the mentality of some of these campground operators.

Kind of like a low life scum bucket driving down your street and calling code enforcement on you just because they CAN
do it without giving their names. Don't ask !!!!! I guess they figure that if they don't like what you drive they can have the code people harrass you until you either die or move !!!!!

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
wcox

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »

Dallas
I am new on this board, My wife is confined to a wheelchair and I recently purchased a suttle type bus w/lift and have been working on it to get us on the road. The information I have gotten from here has been great.
I ran across this add in Fairfax SC and thought I should send it to you. Not sure how far it may be in miles and not sure of your building background.

cut and paste link did not work
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:54:30 PM by wcox » Logged

Wayne, from Yorktown, Va.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »

>>We have buses because we want to, Not because we are despondent, broke or mentally unstable (usually)...<<

Ummmmmm, DrDave...is two out of three good?  Roll Eyes  I'm not despondent!  Smiley
Anyway, Cat, have you considered painting your bus a nice "skoolie" red? 
Maybe that will solve the problem.   Skoolies are usually the first to be triaged out of a campground. 
You stated that some folk had a place to park the bus, but the site would require county certification....If any of those private places are out of sight, go for it and sneak in...without certification.
The worse that would happen is a "cease and desist" order.  And that would come from neighbors.   If private enough, you could stay for years.  No complaints...no problem.   Just don't "build" anything that looks permanent (underpinning, parking on cinder blocks, pool).  The only issue that will trigger an inspection is buying your own power meter.  Try to get into an existing building power....ya'll could likely live on 30 good amps?? Maybe not.   
People would assume that the land owner bought himself a bus. 
I'll bet you'd find out that the guy living in the skoolie at the KOA is friends (or family) of the owners.   That gives them privileges. 

Good luck with your travels!  JR

BTW, this ain't legal advice...it's just a suggestion as to how I'd handle the situation should it come up. 
If anyone goes to jail, feel free to call my E&O guy. I'll mail the number...  Wink

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »

Thanks Wcox,
We may look into it.
I like the Walterboro area.

Dr. Dave, We also have had our fun with code enforcement, Dhec (health department), and others.

I just love nosey people. I've proven uncountable times that I carry X amount of fresh water, and it flows into grey and black tanks, not onto the ground. I've also proven that the bus runs extremely well, and starts and drives anytime I wish it to. We probably have more money into the engine alone than many people have in their whole vehicle.

At one time I had a pretty new Winnebago Chief. After 50,000 miles it wallowed in the wind so bad I was afraid to drive it any more. The entire roof structure had come loose from the stud walls. And that makes it better than a bus?
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »

JR, you said that lawyers phone number was BR549???   Dallas did paint the bus, the black part around the windows is now bright red and was freshly painted before we got here.  The bus looked pretty nice in my opinion.  I know the aluminum isn't shiny but we still look pretty good. He has been painting some more on the bay doors.  We even took the chimneys out of the windows and the rocking chair off the roof before coming here.  Actually, we only have the AC that is on the back of the roof and a few things neatly placed inn our roof rack.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
wcox

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

Not sure what happend with the link. I tried it after posting and it worked for Fairfax SC. A house 3 bed, 2 bath, that had a fire in it on sale for 22,000, not sure of condition or prices there, but may be worth something...wayne

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:00:52 AM by wcox » Logged

Wayne, from Yorktown, Va.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2007, 01:51:54 AM »

Not sure what happend with the link. I tried it after posting and it worked for Fairfax SC. A house 3 bed, 2 bath, that had a fire in it on sale for 22,000, not sure of condition or prices there, but may be worth something..www.unitedcountry.com..listing 39033-06300...wayne

LOST?Huh??

Now that's OFF TOPIC....or is it?

Mebee I missed something?Huh?
 Shocked Shocked

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 05:31:08 AM »

My guess is that once the cg staff get to know Dallas & Cat as we know them, the problem will go away.

It is the horror stories of bad tennants that scare the mis-informed.

BTW, my brother owns rental property. The fact is that it is cheaper & easier to keep a potential problem out. Once it is in, the expense of removing the problem rises exponentially.

Come on guys, it should still be a free country! Let others know you, even if they would rather not.

RE: 'We have buses because we want to, Not because we are despondent, broke or mentally unstable '
I wanted my bus as a result of mental instability  Grin
I'm despondent as a result of having a bus  Roll Eyes

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »

RE: 'We have buses because we want to, Not because we are despondent, broke or mentally unstable '
I wanted my bus as a result of mental instability  Grin
I'm despondent as a result of having a bus  Roll Eyes

I'm broke as a result of having a bus.  Cry

But having the bus actually helps me not to be despondent or mentally unstable. Wink  Seriously, these things are therapy.  When I get stressed or depressed, I just go work on the bus some more and I get over it.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »

A little clarification - I'm despondent as a result of having a bus - BECAUSE I CAN'T WORK/PLAY ON IT MORE   Grin

I'm happiest when I'm working/playing on the bus (even if the wife is fussing Wink )

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
bernie

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »

we contacted KOA and the reply we got was,KOA did not have an opinion,they said each KOA park is privately owned and it is up to the owner to accept or refuse a bus conversion. most of the conversions i know about should not be turned away
                   Bernie
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: