Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire  (Read 2099 times)
Sojourner

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 06:49:33 AM »

Ace........have you check this near Orlando, fl.?
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/
Ask the manager if they have it or can locate another source of surplus roll of wire for your need.

Copper has skyrocket in cost in the last 5 years.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »

Chris 85 RTS: Your quote " I don't think wire can ever be considered too big,"

This is a fallacy frequently expressed on this board. Almost all electrical components are designed for a specific size of wire. #10 wire does not fit 15 amp duplex receptacles and #4 wire does not fit into boxes designed for 30 amp switches or receptacles.  In some cases you can go one size larger and the wire will still fit the termination and the specified length of wire will fit inside the box.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 11:43:46 AM »

Ace, is your bus all electric?  If not, #6 with a 40 amp breaker on the supply should work... that's 6-3 with a 2-pole 40 amp breaker.  I know I've never tripped a 20 amp breaker with a 15K Carrier HP, small 'fridge, circular saw (or miter or recip. saw, big drill, etc), lots of lights, etc.  That's on 36' of 50 amp RV cable, a dog bone adapter to a 25' 30 amp cable with a cheap round adapter to a standard 110 volt outlet.  I measured the voltage with a few things running, including the A/C, it was around 110-112 volts in the bus.  Even with '40 amp service', you'd have 2 legs of 40 amp power - comparable to 4 standard 20 amp circuits.  If you've got an all electic bus, that extra 20 amps might matter. 

David
gecole

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »

Ace if you are going to install a sub-panel you will have to use 4 conductors as the neutral and the grounding equipment conductor can only be bonded together at the service. OOps, I see someone mentioned that earlier.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:56:43 PM by gecole » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: