Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 02:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on covering the walls with plywood  (Read 2757 times)
belfert

« on: May 01, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »

What type of screws should I use to attach 3/8" plywood to the interior of my bus?  Craig used some screws with real fat heads in his bus, but I'm not sure if those are best or not.  I'm also considering "plybead" plywood so I don't have to put any additional covering over the plywood.  How could I attach this "plybead" plywood without the screws being obvious?

What are good choices for interior wall coverings on a budget besides carpet?  I would do oak of some sort, but that is probably too expensive.  I'm considering a white paneling with a design on it, but I don't want the interior to look like a cheap travel trailer.

My bus will be used for traveling to high power rocket launches around the nation.  It is generally dirty and dusty at these locations, especially in the desert.  I will have lots of guys in and out of the bus all day and evening long so the interior needs to be simple and hold up well.  Carpet on the walls and/or ceilings will just get full of dust.  My travel trailer took 4 to 8 hours to get all the dust out of interior after three days in the desert.

Brian elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »

Brian,

I used a large head drill tip screw to secure the plywood, about #8 machine. Most of my walls are covered with laminate but, I used a very inexpencive vynal  wall paper

that has pearlesent patterns in it for the bathroom. Fuond at Lowes. I used body filler on all the screw heads, than sanded smooth. Looks Great!

Here's another pic.

Nick

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:53:07 PM »

What are good choices for interior wall coverings on a budget besides carpet?  I would do oak of some sort, but that is probably too expensive.  I'm considering a white paneling with a design on it, but I don't want the interior to look like a cheap travel trailer.

I was going to use oak wainscoating with wallpaper, but when I got to HD to buy the wainscoating I cheaped out and went with Cape Cod wainscoat instead.  As it turns out, it looks better than oak.  I think oak on the walls would have been too much oak seeing as how everything else is oak.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Nick,

When you say "body filler", you mean like bondo type?

Yes Clif, like Bondo! It works great and  stick to wood very well.
Nick-

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 07:30:47 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
El-Sonador

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »

I used a commercial grade spray adhesive to glue fabric over the plywood as wall coverings. I did this over four years ago and even in the hot climates where I travel most, I have had no problems with it, including the desert sand.

Fabric comes in all types and colors and hides screw heads, seams and other imperfections very well in addition to some repelling dust and dirt.

Steve

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:56:50 AM by El SoŮadorô » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:28:21 PM »

I also used #8 screws that were self tapping.

I didn't screw the plywood with this but 1x4's.

My purpose was to add 3/4" of insulation before the plywood.

The plywood was attached using drywall screws to the 1X4's.

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 05:49:14 AM »

Brian,

I used a large head drill tip screw to secure the plywood, about #8 machine. Most of my walls are covered with laminate but, I used a very inexpencive vynal† wall paper

For the laminate, how did you deal with the joints?  Lamiinate might be a good option if I can afford it.  It is easy to keep clean.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:12:46 AM »

Brian,

Laminates with factory edges can be joined together with a seemless joint if the installer knows how to apply it.

The trick is to figure out how to apply the laninate correct the first time.[contact cement is unforgiving!]

Using dows is the easiest way, also a commercial grade adhesive that cabnit makers use!

Nick-
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:56:54 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »

Nick,

Very interesting idea on the filler.

I had not thought of the body filler and was concerned how I could seal the screws and joints enough to use wallpaper or coverings and have them look right.

Let the mixing and filling begin! Tongue

Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:22:48 AM »

Floridacracker,

Just don't go crazy with the stuff, [allthough it's fun] remember you have to sand it a little when dry!

Nick-

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:36:24 AM »

Nick,

Your not kidding!

On of the things I learned about filler application is that it should be 90% to finished when applied.

Ahhh!† Reminds me of my teens and the big mound of filler we would apply over a dent Roll Eyes, and then the two hours with the D/A sander to get it level...

Mark Twain
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 07:44:05 AM »

Good comments!  I am going to go with laminent as well.  The thin stuff can be gotten at Lowe's to go around any curves.  The big guys use heat for the corners to help in the process.  As far a plywood an adhesive should work with a few screws to hold it in place until it sets up.  I will probably but both - I like over-kill!

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »

Hi All
Look at this site for those that haven't put wall covering in yet, http://www.homasote.com/product.html. Homasote is an insulating, sound absorbing fabric covered hardboard that can be placed in the living room, dining room and bedroom areas and is able to attach with glue or screws. It comes in 5 colors of fabric, can be cut with standard shop tools, can be covered with another fabric if you deem their colors aren't right for you, available at many lumber yards around the US and realitively inexpensive for what it does. It would not do well in the kitchen and bathroom areas. Hope this helps

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
Missouri
belfert

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »

Hi All
Look at this site for those that haven't put wall covering in yet, http://http://www.homasote.com/product.html. Homasote is an insulating, sound absorbing fabric covered hardboard that can be placed in the living room, dining room and bedroom areas and is able to attach with glue or screws. It comes in 5 colors of fabric, can be cut with standard shop tools, can be covered with another fabric if you deem their colors aren't right for you, available at many lumber yards around the US and realitively inexpensive for what it does. It would not do well in the kitchen and bathroom areas. Hope this helps

I'm familiar with Homasote, but didn't realize it came fabric wrapped.† Could this stuff be applied directly to the bus walls, or would plywood be needed first?† Any ideas on cost?

Edit: I realized after I wrote this that fabric and dust in the desert wouldn't be real compatible.

Brian Elfert
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:08:02 PM by belfert » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: