Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:20:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a diesel genset for a bus nut!  (Read 4082 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:16:52 AM »

I hope this isn't violating any board policy but I found this diesel genset for sale on craigslist and thought someone who has been looking for one might be able to get a good deal. I already have one Grin

Commercial ADS are not permitted.

Hope this helps somebody.

Grant
Sacramento
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:05:10 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
belfert

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »

Why the heck can't we point someone at a good deal if the poster is not the seller and isn't related to the seller in any way?

By this standard I fully expect one of the moderators to remove the link to Rockler Hardware in the cabinet latch thread.

Brian elfert
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 07:30:14 AM »

Brian, the attached post from the moderators board pretty well establishes what we are to permit. The Rockler hardware is under $50 and is of course permitted.
Richard

Mike did mention he saw a few posts promoting other off-site commercial sites, and thought those folk should pay for an ad.  I have to agree as he is footing the bill for our fine site.   I totally missed those posts..

I think those post are from individuals trying to help other busnuts, not from company employees promoting their company. But, I agree, they are getting free advertising. Perhaps we need to wath closer and delete addresses when found. It is a fine line between advertising and helping fellow busnuts. On another site, I know of people that would post a "looking for" under a different name, then reply with a "I have one for sale" under there name.

Why the heck can't we point someone at a good deal if the poster is not the seller and isn't related to the seller in any way?

By this standard I fully expect one of the moderators to remove the link to Rockler Hardware in the cabinet latch thread.

Brian elfert
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:36:24 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
m-werx

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »

Hi is the gen set being sold by a private seller? what you say is no comercial ads and yet the locks are being offered by a company . Huh
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »

I would think that  there ought to be a line drawn between someone actually selling something, and someone pointing out where to get it.
By the rules that you are applying to this thread, the one last week where we were asked "where to get Sikaflex and what kind to use"- and I answered with a phone number for IBP, should also be axed, along with TONS of where to questions that get answered in an effort to help us all out in our bus madness.  There is a big difference between one of us posting an actual ad or pointing to one, and one of us asking for a source and being answered, or pointing out a great deal that we're otherwise not involved financially with.
As it is, where's the line?  If Grant had said, "there's a great deal for a diesel generator on Craigslist, go find it", likely nobody would have cared.
If he'd said, "There's a great deal for a diesel generator on Craigslist, search "RV diesel genset" there and you'll find it, it's likely nobody would have cared.  Had he said "There's a great deal I found for a diesel generator on Craigslist, ad # XXXXXX and it's not me or anyone I know selling it", nobody should have cared.  However if he'd have crossed the line and said "I'm selling my generator on Craigslist" or any variation of that, then he's in the wrong.

That said, I implore you, the moderator(s) to clarify this, come up with a clear policy, and be clear about how it's enforced....because as it is, the rules seem to be quite clear, but your intrepretation and implementation is quite the opposite....

My vote for the rules: Nothing for sale is allowed... but pointing out where someone can get something if you're not financially involved is allowed.  Clear, simple, better for us all.... and if some folks push the rules with fake posts and aliases, and don't have the ethics to respect to do the right thing, well, humans always find ways to get around rules, that's just how we are.  Someone somewhere is always going to do it no matter how much you restrict (or attempt to) the rest of us, so get over it and move on....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:27:51 AM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
belfert

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »

Brian, the attached post from the moderators board pretty well establishes what we are to permit. The Rockler hardware is under $50 and is of course permitted.

Does US Coach have a paid ad here?

Lots of board users refer folks to US Coach for parts that cost way more than $50.  The same with IBP and others.

It is one thing for someone to advertise something they are selling, but entirely another for someone to respond to a request or point out a good deal they have no financial interest in.  It is unfortunate, but Mak's new online classifieds seem to be a total bust so far.  Not a single ad online right now.  Gotta have ads to draw traffic, but no one will run an ad without traffic.

Brian Elfert
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:22 AM »

The link was to a specific item on another board that is considered a competitor to MAK's classified board. Most of the links posted are not considered competitors to the MAK board.
Hopefully Phil will spell out some more guidelines for us to use in the future. Currently, this is the published policy as posted by Phil. I have highlighted the specific items that pertain to what we are discussing, as I interpret it.
Richard

Welcome to the new board.  This is a quick start.

First things first: Forum Rules
This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (714)799-0062 or e-mail to: web@busconversions.com.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:07:04 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:15:14 AM »

The link was to a specific item on another board that is considered a competitor to MAK's classified board. Most of the links posted are not considered competitors to the MAK board.

So, the real issue comes out.  The removal of the link has nothing to do with it being a link to something for sale, but rather where the link goes to.

Personally, I don't really consider Craigslist a competitor to Mak's own ads, but rules are rules.

Brian
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »

Brian, this is a copy of an ad currently in the MAK Classified Ad section:

12.5KW Kohler/Yanmar
RV generator
Model 12.5CC067-RV w/slide & remote radiator. [0706]
$4250 OBO
Richard 608-862-2344 in WI

If the link would just have been to Craigs List, then I probably would not have deleted it, but that is a judgement call in the case of each moderator. As stated by another moderator in another post
It is a fine line between advertising and helping fellow busnuts.
The guidelines are to remove ads as soon as possible though. 
Richard

quote author=belfert link=topic=3660.msg33263#msg33263 date=1174583714]

So, the real issue comes out.  The removal of the link has nothing to do with it being a link to something for sale, but rather where the link goes to.

Personally, I don't really consider Craigslist a competitor to Mak's own ads, but rules are rules.

Brian
[/quote]

m-werx

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »

Ok you can not tell me its for sale on a list will you tell me the seller email or tel# i just want a good priced gen set,if it cant be put hear call 2284937913 or email.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:24 AM »

Is eBay now a competitor, too?  I see references to eBay, including item numbers, in posts fairly often.  If I point to an article in a local paper, is that a violation (the paper has classifieds that could contain a bus).  When somebody suggests contacting MCI for a specific part, is that a violation (they sell used buses, too).  Are ALL the moderators using the EXACT same criteria when censoring posts containing items for sale?  According to the rules posted, the original poster would have to take out his own ad for this to have been ok?    It seems like things get taken to extremes quite often, it seems.

David
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:33 AM »

Ok,

Then EVERYONE that uses this BBS please subscribe to the Magazine. No Magazine No Play Here....

The BBS is really starting to rehash all the stuff like the m******** ... Gee Now I see why.

This is in effect what looks to be happening... Only buy from paid advertisers... Censor anything you don't like...

Note: This was not meant to be mean or as an attack. I don't really care either way.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »

Hi Folks,

Richard is only trying to abide by what rules Mike has laid out.  Please remember that us moderators are all just volunteers!!  When we do something, we are trying to stick to the things that Mike talks about as we don't want to do something which may jeaprodize this fine site he has provided us busnuts with.  We always do try to put the busnut community first, and "biting the hand that feeds this site" isn't too good.

At the same time, Mike has never once even hinted that he would shut the site down, etc., it's just something that goes across our minds I suppose.  He has been extremely supportive. 

I'll try to get more clarification from MAK  & pass it along.

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »

Well.... head moderators, do you see my point YET?

Probably not, so just let it continue!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »

Hi Grant & Folks,

I would not have a problem with the direction of a generator sale if [my first rule No Prices, second, I always check MAK's listings first]

If MAK has no products of the same, then it's just common sense to help a member to find something of need with a direction or link.

MY Word of Advice- Always check what MAK is listing first....They are paying him for an ad with the hope in selling his product!

We Must Respect That because, he is supporting this fourm for us to use at no cost.

With Respect
Nick Badame-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: