Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:10:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revisited: May need a hydraulic fan for my Air to Air  (Read 5941 times)
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 06:49:37 AM »

Water and steel does not work well together if you don't believe me look an engine that has blown a head gasket. It will pit the piston the head and the cylinder.

Don

Consider in my set up 12gpH not per minute but per hour equals out to very low amount of water being ran through the system and only when adequte heat is being produced to make sure that the water is making it all the way out the tail pipe.  When water is being introduced through a cooling leak it is under much different circumstances with no control.  This guy seems to think water injection is ok on a detroit 2-stroke!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »

I'd be very hesitant on putting a water injection on the Diesel.  One mistake at injecting too much and you can bend a rod or/and crack the heads with water lockup.  Just get the cooling issues in hand and quit playing with a design that engineers made many years ago that has been proven over billions of miles.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

Don & CraigC, the amount of water (or methanol, or a 50/50 mix) is very little.  The volume is less than the gas or fuel that the engine uses under full load.  Hydro lock can happen if the system doesn't have any fail safes.  It's vital that the system have an on off switch and that the trigger switch is a boost pressure switch, or maybe a micro switch activated only when the throttle lever is wide open.  And again, the systems you can buy have multiple fail safes, flow rate sensors, fluid level sensor, trigger sensors, etc.  My car's system performed flawlessly over 5000 miles in 8 days, 24 hours a days.  BTW, I would use 1 gallon of water/methanol in approx 4 minutes on the track. I would think the amount we'd use in a DD would be less, but I may be wrong.

Using straight, 100% methanol increases performance of these water injections systems, but since methanol burns with no odor and a colorless flame, there really is no reason to increase the danger factor when going 170 mph in a car, or 70 mph in a bus, for that matter!  The 50/50 water & methanol is a very good compromise.

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »

OneLapper has anyone tried a mix of water and ethanol?  Ethanol is a lot cheaper than methanol and should provide very similar performance.
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »

OneLapper has anyone tried a mix of water and ethanol?  Ethanol is a lot cheaper than methanol and should provide very similar performance.
Y

I can't say that I'm aware of people using ethanol.  Most guys are using 50% water and 50% isopropyl alcohol.  Methanol is expensive and difficult to find, but isopropyl alcohol is everywhere and cheap to buy.  You can even use windshield washer fluid which will work just fine as it also has methanol in it. 

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

Is my thinking correct in the feasibility of using ethanol?
Dreamscape

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:15 AM »

That was an impressive video. Kinda cool watching a screamin DD smokin them tires!

Paul
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »

This is not relate to the subject but here the link to your question:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Article:Methanol_--_Ethanol's_Sister_Product

Quote" What are the differences between ethanol and methanol? Methanol is less expensive to produce than ethanol. However, ethanol yields more energy and therefore better mileage results from burning it. Dr. Robert Zubrin, president of the aerospace engineering and research firm Pioneer Astronautics writes:

"Methanol is cheaper than ethanol. It can also be made from a broader variety of biomass material, as well as from coal and natural gas.* And methanol is the safest motor fuel, because it is much less flammable than gasoline (a fact that has led to its adoption by car racing leagues). [ Re * Why would we want to get methanol out of coal? How is it different from kerosene, coal oil?] Methanol is methanol. Methanol from coal is has the same properties as methanol from any other source. The only difference is that it cost less to produce methanol from coal than any other source. Methanol is the primitive building block for petroleum (in other words before petroleum could come into existence there first had to be the production of methane (which is methanol). [Methane is different from methanol. Also I don't think synthesis of gasoline from cola foes through methane or methanol steps] Visit the following website for more information: http://www.iags.org/n071204t2.htm (Excalibur R. FreedomReb)
"On the other hand, ethanol is less chemically toxic than methanol, and it carries more energy per gallon. Ethanol contains about 75 percent of the energy of gasoline per gallon, compared to 67 percent for methanol. Both thus achieve fewer miles per gallon than gasoline, but about as many miles per dollar at current prices, and probably many more miles per dollar at future prices." [ How much CO2 is emitted from burning methanol, and likewise how much is emitted from ethanol? How much CO2 is emitted from burning the same quantity of gasoline? And to obtain the same power, how much CO2 would come from burning the greater amounts of the two alcohols that would be required to get the same energy from a given (lesser) amount of gasoline?]
Every green plant (trees, grass, etc.) needs CO2 (carbon dioxide) to produce energy thru photosynthesis, releasing the by produce we all need which is oxygen.(Excalibur R. FreedomReb)"
unquote

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: