Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OTR Little Rock to Phoenix  (Read 4080 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »

Time to move "Bill Ville".  Smiley Raytheon has given me a new assignment.  Thursday morning I depart Litte Rock for Phoenix, Az.

Now, I'll open this up for recommendations on routing.

The Northern route.
North on 40 out of Little Rock, through Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Texas, Albuquerque, Flagstaff to Scottsdale.

Or The Southern Route,

South out of Little Rock, to Texarkana, Dallas, then on I-20 to I-10 El Paso, Tucson then to Phoenix.

Let the good times roll.......

Bill Williamson
Big Blue MCI-9

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
bus05eagle

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:33:52 PM »

Bill,this time of the year you never know what the weather is going to be on I40 we just came from Texas on I40 and it was nasty i would go the southern route if i was going to Phoenix good luck
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »

Due to the forecasts, definitely the southern route even though it is a lot of extra miles.

Quote from: Weather.com
A major winter storm will batter parts of the Rockies on Wednesday and Thursday. Severe weather is likely in the Plains.

Precipitation forecast map through Thursday AM (at the time of this posting).  Southern route looks better, although there is a probability of rain either way.  But I-40 is looking dangerously close to the snow line.

Wind forecast map for Wednesday (at the time of this posting).  Southern route definintely looks better with regard to wind.

If you do end up starting out on I-40, monitor weather closely along the way.  There is at least one good option for making a last minute change to the southern route before getting to the Rockies.

At Amarillo, TX, I-27/US 87 south intercepts I-20 at Big Spring, TX.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »

According to the routing program I use for estimating charter quotes it's 1342.3 miles @ 19 hrs, 24 mins. across 40. And 1384.3 @ 21 hrs, 45 mins across 30,20,& 10 ! I don't believe it's really over 2 hrs. longer to go the extra 42 miles, but that's what the program shows! I have it set for running average speeds which is slightly less than the speed limit in most cases! I'd say it just depends on whether you'd prefer Dallas, El Paso, & Tucson as your major traffic zones or OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque & Flagstaff. FWIW BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »

Hi Bill,

I know your headed West but,     here is one for the road.......... and I'm not singing it. lol

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »

I just can't resist.......

Jackie Gleeson is just the funniest comedian ever.......

Sorry for steeling this thread
nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »

If you're in no hurry take I40 to Amarillo then drop SW to Las Cruces, we did this last spring and it was a nice scenic drive.

Flagstaff is a wild weather place, it could snow at any time simply because the elevation is 7000+ feet, sure surprised me it was this high. The worst part for a bus is the very steep grade from flagstaff to Phoenix, it seems to never end and is really steep.

Nothing wrong with the southern route either, about the same distance either way.

You're going to drive through some interesting weather either way, this big frontal system across TX and OK that has been stalled for the past week is about to move on and it is a mean one.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »

Take the southern route.  Even though it is a bit further you'll burn a whole lot less fuel since you won't have to go up to the 7,000ft elevation of Flagstaff and then come down I-17 into Phoenix.  You'll be the happiest this way.  Between Dallas and El Paso and into New Mexico right up until you come into Tucson can be subject to freezing rain, ice and sleet.  I ran through freezing rain between Dallas and Alamogordo, NM and had 3/4" of ice on the trailer, so much so I had to buy a propane torch to melt the ice around the door to get into the trailer the next day.  If the weather starts getting bad, especially if the outside temp dips below 28 degrees (that's where roads freeze), just get off the road and wait it out.  I've seen too many trucks and cars in the ditch with people that just had to go.  9 times out of 10 the next day, the storm will have passed.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:44:47 AM »

According to the routing program I use for estimating charter quotes it's 1342.3 miles @ 19 hrs, 24 mins. across 40. And 1384.3 @ 21 hrs, 45 mins across 30,20,& 10 ! I don't believe it's really over 2 hrs. longer to go the extra 42 miles, but that's what the program shows! I have it set for running average speeds which is slightly less than the speed limit in most cases! I'd say it just depends on whether you'd prefer Dallas, El Paso, & Tucson as your major traffic zones or OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque & Flagstaff. FWIW BK  Grin

Wow!  I am amazed that it is only 42 miles different.  Almost defies geometry.  I-40 is almost a straight line vs. I-20/I-10 is a sweeping arc.  That definitely makes me think southern route is best given the weather this week.  Precipitation forecast map
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 05:13:15 AM »

Wow!  I am amazed that it is only 42 miles different.  Almost defies geometry.  I-40 is almost a straight line vs. I-20/I-10 is a sweeping arc.

It must be something to do with the curvature of the earth. We wanted a route from Arcadia, Fl to Huntsville AL. Our GPS gave us I-75 to Atlanta, I-20 to Birmingham and I-65 to Huntsville.  This seemed way out of the way, so I plotted a route in what was almost a straight line going through Dothan, AL. Because it was almost all non interstate, it was almost 4 hours longer and only 60 miles shorter.  Who'd guessed?   Smiley  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »

I would rather take a beating than drive I 10 thru west Texas!! Seems like it never ends - and the winds can be really bad. I vote for the north route then south to las cruses. Nice route.
Just my way - your milage may vary
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 07:18:12 AM »

Thank for all the input..... Weather is a huge factor....

Southern route it shall be.... Plan on departing Little Rock day break Thursday morning.
Should drive 500 miles and stop for the night.

Now, does anyone live along my route?

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »

Bill, I'm in the Dallas area, on the north side.  Nine seven two, four sixty six, forty six eleven.   

Crossing into Texas from Texarkana, there's a good state rest area for Texas maps, and the folks there are quite helpful. 

About 175-200 miles later, as you're coming in Rt 30 from Little Rock, you'll cross Lake Ray Hubbard and come into Mesquite.  I'd strongly suggest you then take Route 635 SOUTH, which becomes Route 20 West.  That avoids downtown Dallas and Fort Worth, which you'd hit by staying on I-30.  Coming through downtown Dallas (the mixmaster) is a mess - I've been here over 20 years and do my best to avoid it with my car.  Ditto taking Route 635 north from Mesquite, not only is traffic heavy (and laden with idiots), but you have another confusing conflict (the Grapevine Funnel) just north of DFW airport.  I'm in and out of DFW airport quite regularly, and take great care in that area with my car.

Since it's supposed to rain tomorrow, the downtown Dallas mixmaster will be a mess.  Also, I believe there's a Flying J on I-20, south of Dallas, if you need fuel, a break, etc.

Tejas Coach Works is in Mineral Wells, west of Fort Worth.  Five hundred miles from Little Rock puts you about Abilene, TX - I believe Paul (Dreamscape) is in Abilene.  Have a good trip. 

Arthur   

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »

Arthur,

I was looking for a way around Dallas. Thank you, I will take your advise....

Paul,  you home    HuhHuh?

Bill
863-604-3701

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »

Bill:
I am 20 miles west of I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix,  You are not going to come this way but thought I would let you know.  When you get to Phoenix and settle in give me a call and I would like to meet you.  I am 100 miles noth of Phoenix, between Sedona and Cottonwood.  Great sight seeing up her.
ED
MCI 7
928-300-9046

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: