Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling Bus  (Read 1624 times)
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »

Has anyone messed with making a GMC coach, especially the pre 1970 fishbowls, kneel on demand? Any success?

Thanks
Keith
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »

now that is simple and doable
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

LOL!! Thanks!

I imagined that a 3 way valve that will block air from dumping out of the brakes, but allow it to dump from the bags is all it takes. And maybe a tank to speed recovery when I want the coach to stand up again.
I'm hoping someone has done it and has a recipe to whip it together with a minimum of trial and error.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »

Call Luke or Sam Caylor and buy a used kneeling valve off of an MCI. 
They are often removed and tossed. 
Are the front airbags "T'eed" together on a GM?  If not, you'll need two kneeling valves.  They are fed by a large line so recovery is fast. 
As I think about it, Pete "RTS" had something for this purpose too.
Problem solved.   Wink
I use an IR adjustable regulator to control my front ride height.  Allows use for leveling, or just dumping the air...which I have to do in order to get the bus inside the barn.  An adjustable regulator is not a fast recovery system.  It comes up pretty good, but slow to settle.   
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:48:11 PM »

A kneeling valve from an MCI huh? Cool.
I had to dump the air from the bags last winter (05-06) when I backed hard into a snow bank and couldnt get off. The tires just rolled...and the coach didn't! I shut down the engine and pumped the brake pedal about a bazillion times. Finally, the weight of the bus on the snow crushed it down so I restarted the engine, let the bags fill, and drove away like nothing ever happened. We did make a nice 6V71 show angel!
But, I want the kneel ability only for kneeling, no other reason. Yeah, thats my story, yeah..
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »

Call it kneeling, or call it manually leveling valves.  I made my own system.  For each position (I have one valve in front and two in the rear-I think like yours) you need one normally open solenoid and two normally closed solenoids.  First install the normally open solenoid between the leveling valve and the air bags-this serves to cut off the air supply from the leveling valves when activated.  Then between the solenoid and the air bags T in the two normally closed valves-one for exhaust and the other hooked into the air system of the bus-in this case I tee'd into the air supply to the leveling valves.  The operation is you activate the normally open valve that closes.  Then you can either activate the exhaust or pressure solenoid to make the bus go up or down.  This is not fast, but I can level my bus at the campsite in less than a minute-and usually stays put for 3 or 4 days.  If you want faster, have to get bigger solenoids with bigger pipe bores to pass more air.  Many different solenoids made.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 08:01:08 AM »

Tom, what valves did you use?

Thanks
Keith
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »

They are continuous duty 12v dc solenoids (I've left them on sometimes for weeks on end).  The make eludes me-it is a popular brand, want to say Shrader, but not right-I know it starts with an S (starting to sound older than my 51 years).  Anyone help out here?  Good Luck, TomC

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »

Skinner?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

Len, I googled "skinner valve" and got the parker website, so skinner is a brand of parker it looks like, and it looks like what TomC means. Is it TomC?
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »

The RTS bus had a good kneeling cluster on it. Solenoid valves, quick fill valve, all mounted together on a small bracket that bolted to the front bulkhead. FYI.  Cool
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »

Larry Ward is selling RTS parts on the e place.  I just bought a couple parts from him.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:04:03 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »

Yeh- Ah. Skinner, that's the ticket!! Good Luck, TomC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: