Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which GPS is better to view on bright sunny days while in car & bus?  (Read 840 times)
Sojourner

« on: April 17, 2007, 02:09:45 AM »

Which GPS is better to view on bright sunny days while in car, either laptop or more costly small screen GPS?
My new laptop is very hard to see. Too much outside light. Maybe a polarize film over screen would help???

Thank you.
FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:01:56 AM »

I am using panasonic toughbook, they got a film on the screen, handle, & magnesium case which I think make then a very good cadidate to be bang around. I also saw some film or screen you can order for that purpose, also saw a hood you put around the lid  on a laptop & extend 6" & retract so you can close the lid normaly, if I can trace where I saw it & post. GPS should be readable in sunlight.
                  wrench

Here:http://www.canhamcameras.com/laptop.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:12:57 AM by wrench » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:17:07 AM »

Where are setting your laptop?  If I set our laptop on the dash, we have more difficulty seeing it. If we keep it below the dash level is is much easier to see. In the bus, it is placed on the bracket we attached to the vertical part of the dash so the laptop is below the bottom of the windshield and between the driver and co-pilot. When using it in the car it sets on the console between the seats.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
rip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »

In our bus the laptop works great,but we keep it below dash level.I have it set up where driver can't see it nor do I want to.My wife keeps eye on the laptop and I keep attention on the road.Works for me.I just bought a Garmin nuvi 660 for the car and ever in direct sunlight you can see the screen.
  Don
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:59:43 AM »

Hi Jerry,

Any model that can talk to you, so you don't have to look at the screen at all...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
rip

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:09:29 PM »

Both of mine do,co-pilot and garmin.Both units give you plenty of warning about up coming turns and also tells you if exit is on left or right. A huge help in heavy traffic.
  Don
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »

I like my Garmin, never have a problem in bright sunlight. Besure do get one that speaks the street names,,,,"Turn Left On Main Street". Buy one that is touch screen.  The only problem with mine, is it will not stay stuck on the windshield if the windshield is cold. 

Bill,,,,

On the way to the Phoenix 500 this weekend,,,, Grin

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: