Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 09:00:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weight Distribution  (Read 7525 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »

Thanks Don.

Let's remember that the bus has two ends?  Mess with the back and you will mess with the front.

WoW, I might suggest you do some math to figure out the potential percentage change you are wasting your, (and our) time discussing.

Way to much time and effort for effectively no change.

GM Fishbowl needs nothing other than be sure you have the right bars installed underneath as far as handling goes. You can do anything you like, it won't tip over. Highspeed circles, tires squealing, no roll over. I might recommend that you ensure your suspension is in operable condition, radius rod bushings, and shocks all in DOT condition before trying it, since these things are usually in "out of service" conditions on a $100 bus.

This collection of posts are all fine if we just want to spend our time chewing the fat via the keyboard, however it is not a productive use of time if you are actually planning to impliment.

I don't know if you realize you have a credibility problem now.

Start doing some conversion work, change out some mechanical and get it up to roadworthy condition, let us know how you are making out, and then we'll be happy to chew some more fat.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 09:31:07 AM »

Thanks Don.

Let's remember that the bus has two ends?  Mess with the back and you will mess with the front.

Boy, you got that right.  Quite a few years ago but, replacing the REAR bushings in my 4104 made all the difference in the world in steering and handling.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
cody

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »

I guess I don't understand what all the excitement is, my bus was originally designed to hold about 50 passengers and all their luggage, now it holds me, I would think trimming 100 pounds out would be a little like throwing a deck chair off a cruise ship, but I don't claim to be an engineer or even an acrobat, just a dumb guy that would rather worry about how to cover the fuel to see whats around the next corner, I guess what I'm trying to say is I would worry less about the weight transfer and enjoy life a little more, life is much too short, trolling, trolling, trolling lol.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 06:03:09 PM »

Hi Russ,
I am sure I have the right VIN. I was told it came from Lansing, MI, and there are several route maps from the LATA transit system. I used this site, http://www.omot.org/roster/GMList/tdh4519.html , to verify what I was told. Would you please post the source of your info? I'm curious, mainly because my coach has 110 on the body, and your info confirms that number, but mine does not. Mine confirms what I was told except for the bus number.

Thanks
Keith
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »

Keith -

Using the same link you provided, it shows that 1552 was delivered to the agency I originally posted.

Very possible that it was sold to Lansing at a later date - not an uncommon thing in the bus industry.

If you look a little further down the list, you'll see that units 1562 - 1565 were delivered new to Lansing.  Matter of fact, unit 1563 was Lansing fleet number 110.

The plot thickens. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 06:39:45 PM »

Hi Russ,
Ok, so maybe I am as much of an idiot as some here think I am!
I could not figure out how in the world you got your info on my coach so messed up!? I looked and saw that coach serial # 1552 went to LA, and is fleet number 110, but my coach is 1522, which went to MI. So I figures I'd double check the VIN I posted...and saw I posted TDH45191552. Huh I have had that vin memorized for 2 years now, but my fingers must not have it memorized! The correct VIN is TDH45191522.   Embarrassed
Thanks
Keith
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »

Ok, I did it. I took the coach for a low speed (40mph) tight turn drive, to see how it handles, because so many here have told me basically that this thing is rock stable.
WOW!!! It was wild! I took 3 different turns at speeds higher that any sane person should, and it held fine! Tires howeling away, even to the point of severe under steer, but still very controllable! I did get sideways when I hit the brakes a bit hard after entering the turn too fast and chickening out. The coach slid off the road and into a shallow ditch, and stopped. I am glad I was in the country! I was only going 30, but it was a t with a stop, so I really should have slowed to maybe half that.
Suffice it to say that I drove it harder today that I ever intend to again, and the only time it really got away from me is when I begged it to with way too much speed in a turn.
I know it will handle much differently loaded, after a conversion, but this drive put my mind at ease about the balance of these coaches.
I did this on old well-worn tires. I didn't want to risk A good set of tires.
So now I can look for a more suitable coach to convert and relax a bit on the balance of the vehicle.
All in all, it is a very forgiving machine.

Thanks
Keith
Todd

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 05:31:19 PM »

Wow, you are WAY over thinking this. Skip a few ice cream cones, set the air bags to correct height and drive.

Todd Smiley
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »

Wow, you are WAY over thinking this. Skip a few ice cream cones, set the air bags to correct height and drive.

Todd Smiley
WOW"  simple, straight to the point, yet powerful in it's simplicity, Einsteinian even, pure genius. Todd you said more in 22 words or in 85 letters, than everything said by all of us, and all our words put together. So Todd I am awarding you on this day the 14th day of May in the year of our Lord 2007 "The Mega Atta Boy Award"  which is worth 50 of those little Atta Boys, plus three High Fives, and a slap on the back. If you were an athlete in your younger day and played Football, Baseball, or Basketball you can convert the back slap to a butt slap for old time sake.

WVaNative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »

and perhaps we need a flight plan registered on here, so we can stay out of the way of WoW...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »

Buswarrior, that was really funny I'm busting a gut over here. It's always good to stay out of the way when someone is practicing with guns, horseshoes, and buses lol.

WVaNative
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 07:57:27 PM by wvanative » Logged

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »

buswarrior, cute   Cheesy.
Thats y I did that adventure in the country. The coon's and possum in the neighborhood are still hiding!
I'm not the first here to power slide a bus into a ditch am I? lol
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

Keith -

I power-slid a brand-new MC-9 on a frozen bridge WB on I-80 from Reno in a blizzard with 44 passengers, three full baggage bins and no chains back in the mid-'80s.  Kept it between the snow plow poles, too!   Grin

After we got straightened out, I asked the folks riding shotgun in the front seats if they wanted me to go around and do that again - but their faces were as ashen as the grey hair on their heads, so we continued on. . .

I knew learning to drive in Ralph Nader's favorite car would serve me well some day!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »

buswarrior, cute   Cheesy.
Thats y I did that adventure in the country. The coon's and possum in the neighborhood are still hiding!
I'm not the first here to power slide a bus into a ditch am I? lol
For an encore you do some donuts with it.   Grin Grin Grin

Seriously though, even though buses are very tip resistent due to being bottome heavy, ditches can roll them over.  That was a very dangerous experiment.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »

Only mildly dangerous. By ditch I mean a 12" deep 4' wide low spot for rainwater drainage. By the time I was flying (30mph) into that turn, I was confident of the coaches stability. I was glad I didnt peel a tire off!

It was not a ride I'd like to take again, but I did learn about driving a coach, with no traffic to worry about. And I never did like coon that much!  Cheesy

As for dough nuts....well I'll wait till I can find a 500' clear ice covered parkinglot. Anyone wanna ride?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: