Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 07:21:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weight Distribution  (Read 7283 times)
Dallas

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »

Take her out on Lake Superior in the winter.... lots of room there, just don't run over any shacks! LOL
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 09:39:38 AM »

Oh Man! I could charge admission for that ride!
And some of you here think the newlooks are junk! Pish Posh! Cheesy Cheesy
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »

Wow, you are WAY over thinking this. Skip a few ice cream cones, set the air bags to correct height and drive.

Todd Smiley
WOW"  simple, straight to the point, yet powerful in it's simplicity, Einsteinian even, pure genius. Todd you said more in 22 words or in 85 letters, than everything said by all of us, and all our words put together. So Todd I am awarding you on this day the 14th day of May in the year of our Lord 2007 "The Mega Atta Boy Award"  which is worth 50 of those little Atta Boys, plus three High Fives, and a slap on the back. If you were an athlete in your younger day and played Football, Baseball, or Basketball you can convert the back slap to a butt slap for old time sake.

WVaNative

Can we ALL give him a Butt slap  Grin

Speaking of setting the Ride Hight, Which waty do you set them for a bit Softer ride.. I have the manuals but they dont tell you that..
Paul... T6H4521-271

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »

Hmmmmm. . . . .

Speaking of setting the Ride Height, Which way do you set them for a bit Softer ride.. I have the manuals but they don't tell you that...

Paul... T6H4521-271

Paul -

The manuals don't tell you that because you're not setting up the ride for a Cadillac/Lincoln.  You're setting up the ride for an industrial piece of machinery, in this case, a transit bus.

Do you really think you can second-guess the team of factory engineers who designed the suspension system for your coach?

Set the ride height to the correct setting per the shop manual.  That's the setting for the best combination of ride quality and handling, as determined by the factory. 

And install new shocks. . .

BTW, the ride characteristics of a transit bus are quite different than those of a highway coach.  Guess which one rides "smoother". . . and why do you suppose so?  Especially if they're both air suspension systems. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »

Air bags are similar to tires. Air bags have steel cords from top to bottom. Air bags do not have the capability to flex. Less air is less ride height, more air is more ride height PERIOD.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 04:49:45 AM »

I have had people tell that changing the ride height affected the handling on their buses. I do not remember waht make or model these buses were, but this should probably be considered.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:08 AM »

Air bags are similar to tires. Air bags have steel cords from top to bottom. Air bags do not have the capability to flex. Less air is less ride height, more air is more ride height PERIOD.

The Firestone design guide mentioned fabric plys but not steel cords. Air bags DO FLEX. They are air springs & changing the air pressure changes the spring rate. It is this that makes them great for buses, you can change the spring rate to suit the load - full of passangers or just a few. The ride height valves do this automatically.

Here is the link to the design guide:
http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/pdfs/OE/AirideDG.pdf

Maybe this can explain air bags well enough to answer the questions, seems there is more to it than some realize  Smiley

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 07:38:33 AM »

Kyle -

Great link - thanks for sharing!

NJT5573 -

"Air bags do not have the capability to flex."

So you're saying that springs (like leaf, coil steel or air) don't flex? 

Wow, learn something new every day. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: