Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 24, 2018, 02:55:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergerncy shut down put us on the side of the road Friday night  (Read 6162 times)
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »

I have allstate too. I pay $100 a year and it covers my boat, motorcycle, cars and my bus. I used them this past weekend to get a tire changed. I needed a new loose tire installed at the storage place.  They did not have a contract with anyone local to do it so i will get reimbursed. The bill was $180. I asked the lady how much they would cover and she said they cover 100%. So if I get the cheque I will be happy.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »

Im in Manitoba, and have CAA RV Plus. Covers everything I drive. About $160 per year.

We have used it a couple times for the Mrs. pickup truck (once was a 200+km tow), but thankfully, never needed it for the bus.

Best regards.

Mark

Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
 Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
 somewhere around Yuma, Arizona in winter
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »

Hi JC
I use Good Sam Road assist for the last few years, had coach net for two years.  Good Sam is a Little cheaper. Glad you made it home okay.

Gary
Handyjim

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

I, too commend Coach Net.  Last weekend I had a tread separate on my S&S.  They had to get a guy 45 miles away (it was Sunday).  The tire man was there in a little over an hour, mounted my lose tire, and I was on the way pronto-pup.

BTW, I gave the guy a $20.00 tip. DW says I'm cheap.  I say she overtips.  Should I have done better?

JCorey
Looking, looking, looking
Toward a Conversion
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »

I klnow I'm going to get some flak for stating this but one of the very first things I did when I bought my bus was to remove the emergency shut down baffle from the intake. If it ain't there it can't cause problems.

And for all of you who are in opposition to what I did let me ask a question: Have any of you actually needed to use the emergency shutdown on any of the DD powered buses? I've been using DD engines for most of my life and yet to have one 'run away'! On the very rare occasion where the E/S is used it's is very expensive to correct all the problems it causes. Usually the first thing that happens is that it inverts the blower seals which could allow lube oil into the combustion chambers giving the engine an alternate source of fuel. Yes, I understand that the baffle starves the engine of air for cumbustion (theoretically) butit's not fail safe. Fogging the engine compartment with CO2 does a complete job without damaging expensive internal parts.

One last comment...I never travel on Friday. If you run into problems on the road you're going to sit there for the week end or pay some mighty high labor coasts for overtime.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »

I think we haven't been talking about the emergency flap, but the low oil pressure shut down.  That operates via the shut down, zero fuel lever on the governor, with an air cylinder.  The OP said he had a short in frayed wires from the oil pressure switch. 

That said, when I got my bus the emergency shut down flap was disconnected.  I tripped it once by accident, couldn't start, and that's when I called the local Detroit Diesel affiliate shop and asked if it should be reconnected.  The shop foreman said no, we stopped putting them on years ago, and we disconnect them now.  I said you guys replaced the blower on this engine a couple of years ago, he said that's probably when it got disconnected.

FWIW and all of that.  later on I figured out that I don't have any of the original shut-down stuff left connected on my bus, makes me pay more attention to the gauges maybe!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »

JC has a 92 series anyway very seldom do you see those on a 92 expect the old green block, the main purpose was the 71 series had a old style fuel rods with no springs and if a injector stuck open you could not shut the thing down with out cutting off the air fwiw most 71 series have the spring loaded 1 screw adjustment fuel rods most have been changed over the years 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »

Hi JC,
I was with BCAA (including RV Plus)for 27 years and have changed over to Coach Net.
They cover everything I drive including motorcycles. Allthough I haven't had to use them
 yet, Coach Net seems to offer more and for less $$ .
HTH....Tim

Cawston, British Columbia
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »

Thanks guys for insurance recommendations.

My 6V92 does not have a flapper emerg. shut down. Luvrbus is right, 92s don't come with them. The 4-71 on my Courier 96 has one because of the old style fuel rod.

My 6V92 emerg. shut down system senses low oil pressure or high coolant temp. and tells a solenoid (Skinner) valve to activate the air plunger to push the shut down lever on the governor. That is also what happens when I turn the run switch off on the dash.

We do travel on Fridays, Sats and Sundays and any day of the week cause we have to. We deal with break downs or anything else as they happen. That's life.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »

I sincerely apologize for not properly comprehending the cause of the problem. There are a few topics that trip my trigger and the E/S is one of them. Hope I didn't offend anyone. At 75 I guess I ought to read more carefully in the future instead of responding on the spur of the moment.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »

But then you wouldn't be Bob   Smiley

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: