Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 03:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report on small elec compressor  (Read 4325 times)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:48:21 AM »

Prior to my trip last Feb i was shopping for a small compressor to carry on the bus. I did not want an oil less one, as i feel that is a cheaper way to make them, but not a better way. Sears had a small compressor on sale for 99.99. They offered a 1 year extension to the standard 1 year warranty for 15.00. So for 2 years, if it ever fails it will be replaced at any Sears location. It comes with a 25' coiled hose, quick connects, various fittings, blow gun, inflator etc. I have seen similar accessory packs at WalMart for 20.00. So at 115.00 plus tax the price was great, but i had my doubts as to whether it would work. I bought it and threw it in the bay and it has sat there until this week.

It is model number 921.153101. It has a 3 gallon tank, is direct drive with a cast iron cylinder, and is rated at 125 PSI maximum, delivering 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Cut in pressure is set at 95 and cut out is 125. As i said, it is oil lubricated. The electic motor is rated 1.5 HP (max developed) and 1 HP running. It requires 120 v and 15 amp minimum. The owners manual states a 50% duty cycle per hour.

I opened the box on Monday and filled it with oil. After putting the disconnects and fittings on the hose i hooked it to my 4104 which has been parked since the end of Feb. My bus was flat out of air! I set the compressor's air flow gauge at 80 and turned it on.

The compressor shut off after 12 minutes! My bus was sitting high up on the air bags and the dash gauge read a bit over 75 pounds - ready to fire up and drive off! I was quite happy with the results. I checked the tank pressure last night, and it has only lost about 8 pounds of air while sitting in my garage. This is better than my big shop compressor does!

This is not spam,,, i have no connection to Sears. I am only passing on some info i hope will be helpful to someone else.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »

Thank you for the review, John! I'd been waiting to get one until I "studied up" on the subject but with such a glowing review I might just trot out and get one. I have a wimpy cheapo already and it's definitely time to upgrade. Thanks again.
skipn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:48 AM »

ChuckMC9
  I have a 24v 0-40 psi 3 SCFM coming when I get it and install it I'lll let you know how it works.

Skip
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »

John, how noisy is this compressor? 

I purchased an oil less one, primarily to air up in a campground to keep from driving folks crazy with the engine noise.  Turns out the oil less is noisier than the engine Angry

Thanks for giving us the model number.  I have been looking for an oil type unit and did not see one at Sears or any of the big box stores.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »

And if you use a 1/2 hp tankless, that's just about perfect for use on the inverter. On our coach, we get 100 psi in a bit over 10 minutes.

We got our IR off of eBay for around $65 bid, no switch. We'll be putting one of those on.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »

Hello.

I have tried both kinds of small compressors.

Oil-less get awfully hot trying to air up the bus, and are prone to being noisey.

Oil lubed is the way I am staying.

Much the same price for either kind when on sale.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »

That Sears oil bath is what I have for 5 years. Love it.
It still noisy but by adding a muffler or silencer to intake will greatly reduce dba level.
A spin on brand new or unused oil car type filter should work…plumb to air intake. Some are ½” female pipe?
Haven’t use oil-filter arrangement yet…..if anyone willing to report your results is appreciated.
Whatever you do….let the outer opening expose directly to outside air.

PS…oiless version has 2 areas that produce pulse noise…..crankcase & inlet. That why they’re noisier that oil bath-type
FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:50:22 PM by Sojourner » Logged
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »

To be honest, i have only used the compressor twice, so it is difficult for me to describe the noise level. I did not consider it to be too loud. It has large rubber cushions that it sits on so that should help some when i mount it in the bus. I will say that i don't see how a different compressor could operate any quieter without some type of drastic measures.

I was talking about this yesterday with another guy, and he said he thought that Sears either has them on sale again, or they are still on sale for 99.99.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »

I've got a Master Fasteners, oil type, 2HP with 2 small tanks (4 gal) it is rated at 4.5 cfm and draws 14 amps. I have had this about 5 years so do not remember the price, but I am cheap so I know it was not expensive!
 It is mounted in the engine compartment of my MCI5C so that it is easy to remove, couple of wing nuts and quick air disconnects. So that I may use it elsewhere if need be. I could have removed the tanks and hardwired it in but elected not to.
 It takes about 15 min to air up the bus from zero. I agree with your description of the noise level, not quiet but not excessive. I have an manual air leveling system and use the compresor to level the bus. It is also nice to have the bus aired up when I start it. This compressor will air up the bus tires but it is barely adequate for the job. I would rather use a shop compressor for tires. I can use this compressor with a 3/4 inch impact to remove lugnuts!!! But it takes a long time!
 I feel this was a good investment and have got a lot of use out of it over the years. If it were to quit working. I would replace it with a comparable compressor.  HTH

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 05:45:10 AM »

All great info. I keep an oil less in the bus under the drivers position. I have a 110V recp and the original Schrader to air the bus is located here as well. This oil less works well, but I have a larger one ( ancient) in the garage, connected to a 40 gal resv. tank.
The biggest thing I have found is to have the largest, shortest hose for the job to keep the compressor working at a minimum. A 3/8" 50 foot hose is convient (sp?), but puts a load on any compressor.
My $ 0.02

Take care.
Gary
P.S. JJRbus, Which side did you locate the comp. and tanks? I have a Webasto 2010 (?) on the curb side, and I find I need the drivers side clear to access the trans dip stick/ fill.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »

Curb side, next to the wheel wheel.  I could be wrong on this, but I think we should not air up from the front of the MCI. Due to air not going through dryer. Maybe some of the more knowledgable people will chime in.

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

Good Point, but I am not sure as to whether that line goes thru the dryer or not. I will look up in the manual. I have never aired up in 2 1/2 years of ownership thru that point, However I will if I leave the coach in Drive, and lose the air. The Stone Bennett shifter would not be able to move the shifter to neutral to enable a start..... I need to locate that shifter lever and its position for later reference.
JJRbus, is yours a Saudi ??
Gary

Ocean City, NJ
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »

Yes it is the Saudi model. Rumored to be Osama's personal ride!

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »

The Stone Bennett shifter would not be able to move the shifter to neutral to enable a start..

When we re-wired our coach, I added a neutral start switch override switch on the dash. IF NECCESSARY, this allows the engine to start in gear. Jack
PS: This switch has a red safety cover on it like the emergency stop switch.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 02:15:11 AM »

Jack, Very simple solution to a problem, However how does the engine/trans take to be started in Drive?? I understand this should not be an every day thing. But gatta ask? I am on the fence as to starting in Drive, but I like your thinking...
Thanks,
Gary

Ocean City, NJ
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: