Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 01:52:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report on small elec compressor  (Read 4066 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 04:42:29 AM »

We have not HAD to use this switch, but have tested it. Engine starts the same, (we do not touch the throttle, just master on, overide switch on and start). This is NOT used unless neccessary. My opinion: a few starts this way should not harm anything.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »

It is model number 921.153101. It has a 3 gallon tank, is direct drive with a cast iron cylinder, and is rated at 125 PSI maximum, delivering 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Cut in pressure is set at 95 and cut out is 125. As i said, it is oil lubricated.

John, I just got the same compressor and think it's great! I'm ticked at how well it works for the size it is. I added a water trap / filter just for giggles.

Many thanks for the recommendation!

captain ron

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 07:14:59 PM »

I was at Big Lots in Union City a while back and saw a compressor that was wall mounted. Did not look to see any specifics like oil less, cfm's or tank size but thought that would be nice for a bus, not taking up valuable floor space. They also have them at Lowes.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »

I keep an oil less in the bus under the drivers position.

Gary, I'm going to suggest you move that compressor into a bay.

I had a small 12v oilless compressor that I used for my bay locks mounted in that compartment (power steering compartment under the driver).
I had not used it for several months because I had the bay locks latched in the open position. When I tried it, I found that it had completely
rusted up on the insides. Piston, bearings, everything. It was totally ruined. With no oil in it, there was not way to keep the moisture in that
compartment from getting into it and doing damage to the internal components.  I replaced it with two of the same make, and mounted them
in the first bay. Been using them for several years, now, and no problems with rust.

Food for thought.

I have a small Harbor Freight compressor that I'll be mounting in my rear bay for leveling and airing up the bus. It has a small 2 gallon tank, and oiled compressor. It's not too loud. I have another HF pancake compressor that is extremely loud, but the one I'm going to use in the bus is
not bad. It will air up the bus in about 10-12 minutes.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 06:43:55 AM »

Hey Chuck! Glad it is working out for you. After using mine all summer, i can say that i am very happy with this little thing! As a matter of fact, i have not turned on my 20 gallon/5 hp shop compressor since i bought the little one. so i guess i may as well sell the large one, it is just taking up space now. Any chance to see a pic of the water filter you added?
John Z

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »

I'd like to see a pic of the water eliminator as well.  Fear of getting water into the bus air system is what has held me back from putting a cheapo compressor onboard.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 08:36:30 AM »

Well shore! I can take pitchers a lot easier than crawling under the bus this morning to work on leveling valves!

I just did a quick install to get it up and running in a hurry, but I'll be moving the filter before the quick disconnect and also put a 90 in there so that it's not hanging off so precariously.

I'm embarassed to say that the filter came from Home Depot - I needed something for a *really* cheapo oilless compressor a few years ago and thought I'd stick it on this one before hooking it up to the bus. It is *definitely* needed, as the air coming out still seems kinda 'wet'...and the clear bowl gets at least 1/4 inch of water in it after a short while. There's a valve on the bottom to blow it out as well as a filter inside.

I bought the other regulator/filter in the box behind it from HFT some time ago thinking I'd need it, but I may just take it back because the regulator in the Craftsman works so well.

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 09:21:28 AM »

That looks good Chuck. How are you plumbed into your bus? Is the compressor hooked up full time, or do you plug it in when needed. I have not installed mine in the bus yet. I will pick one of those up next time i get to HD.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
captain ron

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 09:27:22 AM »

The water trap will work better if moved a few feet away from the compressor letting the air cool down a bit. If your using it as a portable I know it is inconvenient but if your going to mount it in the bus you should get one mounted a few feet away.
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »

You know Charley, you're right.

The last few days I have *finally* started learning about the bus air system and learned that's why the dryer & wet tank are as far as they can be from the bus compressor. I just had an a-ha - I'm gonna use that other one and mount it on that fenderwell in the rear compartment just before the input into the bus system. So then it will be 15' away from the aux compressor.

Thanks for the reminder about that.

So it should be clear that I haven't plumbed it in yet, and we'll see if on the completion of my leak-detection adventure if I'll even need to! Heck I may never even need it again! LOL

Yeah, right...
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »

Our local volunteer fire department does this all the time.  Cheaper and better to keep the air presssure up on old, but still serviceable fire department apparatus.  No $budget$. The neat thing about keeping your coach aired up all the time is that you can make a quick (if not quiet) get-a-way early in the morning WITHOUT paying your space bill.  He he he, I love a good plan. JUST KIDDING!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 05:38:39 AM »

Grumpy,
Thanks for thinking of me, I did some time ago rearrange my rear storage/water heater/fresh-gryblk tanks bay. I only keep warning cones & washer fluid in the front area under the driver seat.
I am also this weekend clearing out all the stuff I DO NOT need out of the bus. I am tired of carrying things I do not use, and having to rummage thru it to get to something I have forgotten where I put it.

Good catch from April,

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Stone

67 MCI 5A Challenger 8V71 allison MT644

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »

Prior to my trip last Feb i was shopping for a small compressor to carry on the bus. I did not want an oil less one, as i feel that is a cheaper way to make them, but not a better way. Sears had a small compressor on sale for 99.99. They offered a 1 year extension to the standard 1 year warranty for 15.00. So for 2 years, if it ever fails it will be replaced at any Sears location. It comes with a 25' coiled hose, quick connects, various fittings, blow gun, inflator etc. I have seen similar accessory packs at WalMart for 20.00. So at 115.00 plus tax the price was great, but i had my doubts as to whether it would work. I bought it and threw it in the bay and it has sat there until this week.

It is model number 921.153101. It has a 3 gallon tank, is direct drive with a cast iron cylinder, and is rated at 125 PSI maximum, delivering 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Cut in pressure is set at 95 and cut out is 125. As i said, it is oil lubricated. The electic motor is rated 1.5 HP (max developed) and 1 HP running. It requires 120 v and 15 amp minimum. The owners manual states a 50% duty cycle per hour.

I opened the box on Monday and filled it with oil. After putting the disconnects and fittings on the hose i hooked it to my 4104 which has been parked since the end of Feb. My bus was flat out of air! I set the compressor's air flow gauge at 80 and turned it on.

The compressor shut off after 12 minutes! My bus was sitting high up on the air bags and the dash gauge read a bit over 75 pounds - ready to fire up and drive off! I was quite happy with the results. I checked the tank pressure last night, and it has only lost about 8 pounds of air while sitting in my garage. This is better than my big shop compressor does!

This is not spam,,, i have no connection to Sears. I am only passing on some info i hope will be helpful to someone else.
Stone

67 MCI 5A Challenger 8V71 allison MT644

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 09:25:22 PM »

Prior to my trip last Feb i was shopping for a small compressor to carry on the bus. I did not want an oil less one, as i feel that is a cheaper way to make them, but not a better way. Sears had a small compressor on sale for 99.99. They offered a 1 year extension to the standard 1 year warranty for 15.00. So for 2 years, if it ever fails it will be replaced at any Sears location. It comes with a 25' coiled hose, quick connects, various fittings, blow gun, inflator etc. I have seen similar accessory packs at WalMart for 20.00. So at 115.00 plus tax the price was great, but i had my doubts as to whether it would work. I bought it and threw it in the bay and it has sat there until this week.

It is model number 921.153101. It has a 3 gallon tank, is direct drive with a cast iron cylinder, and is rated at 125 PSI maximum, delivering 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. Cut in pressure is set at 95 and cut out is 125. As i said, it is oil lubricated. The electic motor is rated 1.5 HP (max developed) and 1 HP running. It requires 120 v and 15 amp minimum. The owners manual states a 50% duty cycle per hour.

I opened the box on Monday and filled it with oil. After putting the disconnects and fittings on the hose i hooked it to my 4104 which has been parked since the end of Feb. My bus was flat out of air! I set the compressor's air flow gauge at 80 and turned it on.

The compressor shut off after 12 minutes! My bus was sitting high up on the air bags and the dash gauge read a bit over 75 pounds - ready to fire up and drive off! I was quite happy with the results. I checked the tank pressure last night, and it has only lost about 8 pounds of air while sitting in my garage. This is better than my big shop compressor does!

This is not spam,,, i have no connection to Sears. I am only passing on some info i hope will be helpful to someone else.
Hey John I have 2 of the same compressors you talked about..1 has 3 gal tank & the other has 2 gal tank..Other than that they are identical...I put the 3 gal in the bay onboard. I have aired my bus up many times with it..great little compressors....on hot humid days make alot of water so I crack the drain on the bottom of the tank while it is running to keep the water out of the bus lines........
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »

The last few days I have *finally* started learning about the bus air system and learned that's why the dryer & wet tank are as far as they can be from the bus compressor. I just had an a-ha - I'm gonna use that other one and mount it on that fenderwell in the rear compartment just before the input into the bus system. So then it will be 15' away from the aux compressor.

Chuck -

Just a thought/question:  When you mount the water separator, shouldn't it be lower than the output of the compressor?  That way, any moisture that condenses in the line will naturally flow into the separator.  As long as gravity works, that is - altho that is probably the next thing the global warming folk will be attacking.  Roll Eyes

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: