Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
March 29, 2015, 10:48:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delo 100  (Read 4151 times)
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »

Afternoon All,

What is the main problem with using detergent oils in a 2-stroke?  The trucker that I bought the bus from said to avoid it like the plague.

My last oil change I used 30W Esso.  Non-detergent.

Thanks for the info in advance.

FB.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »

Flyboy -

There is NO harm in using detergent oils in a two-stroke.  The harm comes from using multi-weight oil (like 10-30, 15-30, etc.).

Here's the factory's own publication regarding oil requirements in the their engines:

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/support/on-highway/manuals/Lubricants_Fuels_Coolants/7se270.pdf

Also, if you do a search under "oil" and using Russ as the author, you'll find a post I shared a little while ago with an explanation about multi-weight oil.

Do the research, lots of "old wives tales" out there.

Personally, I prefer not to second-guess the factory on this one.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C
6V71/MT-644
Clovis CA
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »

There is a good article about it here.

The high wear of multi grades is one issue, sulfated ash content is the other.  Detroit Diesel specifies that the oil have no more that 1% ash content.  Delo 100 has the lowest at 0.76%.  Exxon XD-3 is at 0.80% and Shell Rotella 40T comes in right at the mark at 1%.  Delo 400 is way out of spec. at 1.35%.

Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »

Thanks much Russ and HTR,

Another couple of additions to the technical library.

Aron.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »

Using non detergent oils in two strokers is very old thinking.  This comes from when the gaskets and seals were of poor quality and Detroits leaked like a sieve.  The non detergent oil would allow dirt to build up and act like a sealant.  Whereas detergent oil would keep the engine clean on the inside, hence you would know about any kind of oil leak.  I would always use detergent oil-specifically Chevron Delo 100 sae40 weight since that is the oil that Detroit designed the engine around.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: