Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:47:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delo 100  (Read 4010 times)
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »

Afternoon All,

What is the main problem with using detergent oils in a 2-stroke?  The trucker that I bought the bus from said to avoid it like the plague.

My last oil change I used 30W Esso.  Non-detergent.

Thanks for the info in advance.

FB.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »

Flyboy -

There is NO harm in using detergent oils in a two-stroke.  The harm comes from using multi-weight oil (like 10-30, 15-30, etc.).

Here's the factory's own publication regarding oil requirements in the their engines:

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/support/on-highway/manuals/Lubricants_Fuels_Coolants/7se270.pdf

Also, if you do a search under "oil" and using Russ as the author, you'll find a post I shared a little while ago with an explanation about multi-weight oil.

Do the research, lots of "old wives tales" out there.

Personally, I prefer not to second-guess the factory on this one.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »

There is a good article about it here.

The high wear of multi grades is one issue, sulfated ash content is the other.  Detroit Diesel specifies that the oil have no more that 1% ash content.  Delo 100 has the lowest at 0.76%.  Exxon XD-3 is at 0.80% and Shell Rotella 40T comes in right at the mark at 1%.  Delo 400 is way out of spec. at 1.35%.

Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »

Thanks much Russ and HTR,

Another couple of additions to the technical library.

Aron.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »

Using non detergent oils in two strokers is very old thinking.  This comes from when the gaskets and seals were of poor quality and Detroits leaked like a sieve.  The non detergent oil would allow dirt to build up and act like a sealant.  Whereas detergent oil would keep the engine clean on the inside, hence you would know about any kind of oil leak.  I would always use detergent oil-specifically Chevron Delo 100 sae40 weight since that is the oil that Detroit designed the engine around.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: