Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 08:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinyl Roof on 4104  (Read 2331 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed a vinyl roof on a 4104 or other aluminum bus roof.

I know this will bring out all the naysayers but I would like not to hear from them unless they have actually installed a vinyl roof.

I would like not to hear about vinyl auto roofs either because they are steel and not the same situation.

I am giving this very serious thought. I am especially interested in positive results.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »

Sounds expensive but also sounds cool. What color were you thinking? Black would look the coolest but of course would be the hottest
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »

Black would look the coolest but of course would be the hottest

But couldn't the padding (whatever) underneath it be something that could add insulation??

It does sound kinda cool. But MAAAAN........ I think it would be some serious bucks. Hopefully someone on here can help. I can only encourage!  Cool

GO FOR IT!!!
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »

Why are you condsidering vinyl over other methods?

How would you install it?  Just roll it out and lap the seams?  
What would you do on the edges?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
captain ron

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

I can just see it now. Landau roof, those 2 chrome s or cursive f looking things on the rear sides, super singles with spinners, air bags that work like hydraulics. Grin
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »

White is the only color I would consider for many reasons. This was a Trailways bus and they were all kind of a cream color.

I don't think I want anything under the vinyl.\, I've seen too much foam rubber disintegrate after a while and it is a real mess.

I doubt that I would install it, this calls for a pro.

I'm thinking vinyl because it is used for car roofs, has been for many years.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

I can just see it now. Landau roof, those 2 chrome s or cursive f looking things on the rear sides, super singles with spinners, air bags that work like hydraulics. Grin

You forgot the wide white sidewalls and the curb feelers along with the 'coon tails on the antennas!  Grin
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »

If you don't put any padding under the vinyl, you have a lot of rivets to deal with. Stretching the vinyl over  each rivet would be a time consuming job or do you have a different idea?
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:04:44 PM »

Remember RJ posted a picture of one here= http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/11210.html Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »

Ed,

Yeah, you caught me. I tried this question once before and the thread went to hell with naysayers and funny guys, but at least some posters had some good ideas for other materials.

Chaz, as usual, is the most positive.

Is it possible that nobody has ever done this, amazing??

I couldn't really tell much about the bus in the photo posted by rj way back there but I sure wouldn't want black.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »

Ed,

Yeah, you caught me. I tried this question once before and the thread went to hell with naysayers and funny guys, but at least some posters had some good ideas for other materials.

Chaz, as usual, is the most positive.

I couldn't really tell much about the bus in the photo posted by rj way back there but I sure wouldn't want black.
Hey I was positive, just made a few jokes to go along with it. I think it is a cool idea and looked really cool on the bus in the picture but I think you would have problems doing the whole roof. Who am I to say anything negative about your idea?  you've seen some of my hair brained ideas Grin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:23 AM »

Gus -

Well, as you can see from that photo, somebody DID install vinyl on the roof of that MC-8.  Granted, since the pic was reduced to fit Ian's board, it is hard to see, plus the tree doesn't help.  I can rescan the photo and send it to you, if you'd like.  It's only a 3x5, and I'm not sure where the negatives are at the moment. . .  Hard to believe that photo was taken 12 years ago!

The coach, btw, was painted a dark royal metallic blue, with the vinyl in grey.

If you'd like more pics, I'll see if the coach is still where I think it is, and try to arrange a photo opp.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 04:44:58 AM »

This picture reminds me of this topic Grin

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »

This picture reminds me of this topic

lolol Now a paper roof I could even do!   Wink

As far as the padding underneath, I was thinking more along the line of a Thinsulate or something like that as opposed to foam padding. (and the price would just keep going up!  Smiley)

I want to see it if you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
skipn

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »

I just have to ask.... not  exactly Vinyl But has anybody used stuff like Rhino bed liner. I have seen it done on large fifth wheel horse/rv trailers
 and it seem to last. You can tint the white to any color you want.

Just a thought.

Skip
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: