Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 10:56:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinyl Roof on 4104  (Read 2357 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed a vinyl roof on a 4104 or other aluminum bus roof.

I know this will bring out all the naysayers but I would like not to hear from them unless they have actually installed a vinyl roof.

I would like not to hear about vinyl auto roofs either because they are steel and not the same situation.

I am giving this very serious thought. I am especially interested in positive results.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »

Sounds expensive but also sounds cool. What color were you thinking? Black would look the coolest but of course would be the hottest
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »

Black would look the coolest but of course would be the hottest

But couldn't the padding (whatever) underneath it be something that could add insulation??

It does sound kinda cool. But MAAAAN........ I think it would be some serious bucks. Hopefully someone on here can help. I can only encourage!  Cool

GO FOR IT!!!
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »

Why are you condsidering vinyl over other methods?

How would you install it?  Just roll it out and lap the seams?  
What would you do on the edges?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
captain ron

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

I can just see it now. Landau roof, those 2 chrome s or cursive f looking things on the rear sides, super singles with spinners, air bags that work like hydraulics. Grin
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »

White is the only color I would consider for many reasons. This was a Trailways bus and they were all kind of a cream color.

I don't think I want anything under the vinyl.\, I've seen too much foam rubber disintegrate after a while and it is a real mess.

I doubt that I would install it, this calls for a pro.

I'm thinking vinyl because it is used for car roofs, has been for many years.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

I can just see it now. Landau roof, those 2 chrome s or cursive f looking things on the rear sides, super singles with spinners, air bags that work like hydraulics. Grin

You forgot the wide white sidewalls and the curb feelers along with the 'coon tails on the antennas!  Grin
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »

If you don't put any padding under the vinyl, you have a lot of rivets to deal with. Stretching the vinyl over  each rivet would be a time consuming job or do you have a different idea?
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:04:44 PM »

Remember RJ posted a picture of one here= http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/11210.html Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »

Ed,

Yeah, you caught me. I tried this question once before and the thread went to hell with naysayers and funny guys, but at least some posters had some good ideas for other materials.

Chaz, as usual, is the most positive.

Is it possible that nobody has ever done this, amazing??

I couldn't really tell much about the bus in the photo posted by rj way back there but I sure wouldn't want black.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »

Ed,

Yeah, you caught me. I tried this question once before and the thread went to hell with naysayers and funny guys, but at least some posters had some good ideas for other materials.

Chaz, as usual, is the most positive.

I couldn't really tell much about the bus in the photo posted by rj way back there but I sure wouldn't want black.
Hey I was positive, just made a few jokes to go along with it. I think it is a cool idea and looked really cool on the bus in the picture but I think you would have problems doing the whole roof. Who am I to say anything negative about your idea?  you've seen some of my hair brained ideas Grin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:23 AM »

Gus -

Well, as you can see from that photo, somebody DID install vinyl on the roof of that MC-8.  Granted, since the pic was reduced to fit Ian's board, it is hard to see, plus the tree doesn't help.  I can rescan the photo and send it to you, if you'd like.  It's only a 3x5, and I'm not sure where the negatives are at the moment. . .  Hard to believe that photo was taken 12 years ago!

The coach, btw, was painted a dark royal metallic blue, with the vinyl in grey.

If you'd like more pics, I'll see if the coach is still where I think it is, and try to arrange a photo opp.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 04:44:58 AM »

This picture reminds me of this topic Grin

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »

This picture reminds me of this topic

lolol Now a paper roof I could even do!   Wink

As far as the padding underneath, I was thinking more along the line of a Thinsulate or something like that as opposed to foam padding. (and the price would just keep going up!  Smiley)

I want to see it if you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
skipn

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »

I just have to ask.... not  exactly Vinyl But has anybody used stuff like Rhino bed liner. I have seen it done on large fifth wheel horse/rv trailers
 and it seem to last. You can tint the white to any color you want.

Just a thought.

Skip
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »

Vinyl on roof?  We doing it for looks?

Rhinoliner....a few grand, cost prohibative for most I would suspect.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

well, guys, I'm going to confess. My roof is covered with white vinyl-has been since '95 and is beautiful even if I do say so myself. There is not one bubble anywhere, there are no detaching edges anywhere, the thing is one piece and really helps the looks and reduces the heat absorption from the sun. also makes things a bit quieter.

I didn't install it, the PO had it professionally done long before I got the bus (Two years ago). My only problem so far is keeping mildew at bay while it is sitting because it has a slight grain finish. I clean it well with Murphy Oil Soap twice a year and that seems to work fine.

The PO installed vinyl because the top had so many coats of paint that it was a mess and he didn't want to remove all that paint. None of that mess shown through the vinyl but I don't know for sure what prep was used under the vinyl.

The main reason I made the post was to try to get some further tips on caring for the vinyl. It has never shown any sign of chalking. It was always kept inside and still is so this may be part of the secret to longevity.

I've driven it 15,500 mi so far. I'm in Tucson, left AR Wed and will be in Palm Desert in two more days. Then on to San Diego, Bakersfield, Albany,OR, Edmonds,WA then back home to AR via ID, MT, WY, SD, NE, KS and MO.

Thur, Fri and Sat we were in some of the strongest crosswinds in NM and AZ that I have ever driven in and the vinyl paid no attention to any of it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

Gus -

If you're headed north out of Bakersfield on 99, and you've got some time, give me a call and we'll share some bus "war stories" over a Pepsi when you get to Fresno - I'll buy!

Phone number's in my profile. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »

Russ,

Thanks, I'll try to do that. Meant to last year but the wife was sick and in no mood for stops.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »

We're in San Diego now staying at Santa Fe RV Park right off I5 exit 23. A very quaint place but they gave me a spot that was  sure a tight squeeze for the 4104.

We leave Sun. for Bakersfield where I'll have Don Fairchild look at my 671 oil leak and talk about installing a 671 turbo. I think it is the valve cover gasket but not sure.

Thanks to TomC for telling me about Don, he sounds like a great guy.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JerryH

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 05:48:54 AM »

I know the mentality is "do it your way" ... but, like other "I wanna do's" on this site ... I just don't get it.

JerryH
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

Jerry,

I have no idea what your post means-please enlighten me??

We're in Bakersfield. Saw Don Fairchild today and he is going to look at my oil leak tomorrow. He already found an exhaust pipe loose and possibly the source of the oil leak. Great guy, a real bus nut!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: