Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 12:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinyl Roof on 4104  (Read 2214 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »

Vinyl on roof?  We doing it for looks?

Rhinoliner....a few grand, cost prohibative for most I would suspect.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

well, guys, I'm going to confess. My roof is covered with white vinyl-has been since '95 and is beautiful even if I do say so myself. There is not one bubble anywhere, there are no detaching edges anywhere, the thing is one piece and really helps the looks and reduces the heat absorption from the sun. also makes things a bit quieter.

I didn't install it, the PO had it professionally done long before I got the bus (Two years ago). My only problem so far is keeping mildew at bay while it is sitting because it has a slight grain finish. I clean it well with Murphy Oil Soap twice a year and that seems to work fine.

The PO installed vinyl because the top had so many coats of paint that it was a mess and he didn't want to remove all that paint. None of that mess shown through the vinyl but I don't know for sure what prep was used under the vinyl.

The main reason I made the post was to try to get some further tips on caring for the vinyl. It has never shown any sign of chalking. It was always kept inside and still is so this may be part of the secret to longevity.

I've driven it 15,500 mi so far. I'm in Tucson, left AR Wed and will be in Palm Desert in two more days. Then on to San Diego, Bakersfield, Albany,OR, Edmonds,WA then back home to AR via ID, MT, WY, SD, NE, KS and MO.

Thur, Fri and Sat we were in some of the strongest crosswinds in NM and AZ that I have ever driven in and the vinyl paid no attention to any of it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

Gus -

If you're headed north out of Bakersfield on 99, and you've got some time, give me a call and we'll share some bus "war stories" over a Pepsi when you get to Fresno - I'll buy!

Phone number's in my profile. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »

Russ,

Thanks, I'll try to do that. Meant to last year but the wife was sick and in no mood for stops.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »

We're in San Diego now staying at Santa Fe RV Park right off I5 exit 23. A very quaint place but they gave me a spot that was  sure a tight squeeze for the 4104.

We leave Sun. for Bakersfield where I'll have Don Fairchild look at my 671 oil leak and talk about installing a 671 turbo. I think it is the valve cover gasket but not sure.

Thanks to TomC for telling me about Don, he sounds like a great guy.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JerryH

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 05:48:54 AM »

I know the mentality is "do it your way" ... but, like other "I wanna do's" on this site ... I just don't get it.

JerryH
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

Jerry,

I have no idea what your post means-please enlighten me??

We're in Bakersfield. Saw Don Fairchild today and he is going to look at my oil leak tomorrow. He already found an exhaust pipe loose and possibly the source of the oil leak. Great guy, a real bus nut!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: