Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 07:46:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost on topic, BIG RIG Campsite design  (Read 3753 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »

So Nick,

Some of the high end places I have seen (internet only I couldn't afford or have a fancy enough rig) have high fencing
 between slips with manicured shrubs. The fencing is below the top of a rig (for satellite) but provides privacy on a smaller
 width slip design. Would that be something ok for your tastes?

Just negotiating widths...Smiley

Ron:   Well around here there there are mountains to see but I am afraid nothing to match Sturgis but then again who could match
           that.

Also is it reasonable to have a 35ft minnimum. (reverse discrimination) Grin

Skip

Hi Skip,
A good busisnessman always listens to what the customer wants. That is the only secret to sucess! I belive that the "camper" has evolved...
What I mean is, the needs, the size of the rigs, the things campers bring with them, have all changed. essentually, everything is larger!
I have personally expierenced that the big rig sites average about $42.00 per night. thats only less then $10.00 more then a regular site.
For me, having a rig thats worth more then $150.000 it just makes sence. I'm not going to have my kids track mud on a two thousand dollar carpet
because I wanted to save ten dollars. Thats Just Me but, I'm finding alot of "me's" around the parks...
Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »

Skip,

Look close in this pic and you will notice a "pop-up" on the left of this picture. I'm seeing it more and more.

What does he need 50 amps for?  Nothing.... He is just a want-a-be big rig. He pays the same $42.00 per night.

It is a funny site to see though......

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
captain ron

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 08:04:32 PM »

$42.00 a night I can find a hotel room for that. I have a big rig but not a big budget. I like the nice pads, fire pits, cable tv, wi-fi, sewer, water and 50 amp service but I think the privacy fence defeats the purpose most of us go camping, meeting people. The fence thing seems a little snobish. If you want privacy pull the curtains. If you don't want to socialize don't be sociable.
skipn

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »

In my research I have seen a lot of places like this. It does look better from a ground view.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&z=17&ll=46.704844,-112.029573&spn=0.004723,0.008626&t=k&om=1

It seems a lot of places are upgrading for bigger RVs but wouldn't one feel like cord wood stacked in.

So what I am hearing is privacy but socialable. Well manicured (rustic is out).

As far as zoning etc. the farm ground around me is being developed into a 1k+ homes development though I think they may be backing off on the number of houses they are going to put in. It seems a little odd that Nick's requirements (which are reasonable to me) will be almost the same size lots the houses will be on. The bus sounds a lot better I can always move from bad neighbors(hard to move a house)

Zoning and stuff I am still in the county which is a little less strict but the politics and paper work will be a major patience tester. From what I understand the new regs are 1 house for 5 acres otherwise a large community septic which generally run around here 80K plus yearly certification.

Skip
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 03:01:01 AM »

Tom, Please note,  I have my hand up high (very high and waving) !!!   Pinehurst is in my home county and only about 10 minutes from my hometown.  Moving back there would be great and working for you would be a real plus.  We both enjoyed visiting with you and Phyllis.  I am very jealous though.... Stuffie liked Dallas better than she liked me  and my poor heart was wounded.  LOL   We will keep our fingers crossed that it wil work out for you.  Cat
PS:  If you need a realtor in that county, let me know.  I know a super one.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 04:28:18 AM »

Look close in this pic and you will notice a "pop-up" on the left of this picture. I'm seeing it more and more.

A friend in the RV industry told me a few months ago that right now the biggest selling type of RV are travel trailer and 5th wheels. Don't know if this includes pop ups. Seems most of these are going to younger working age families.  Since they have children, I would imagine they would also want things to do at any campground, and a pull through is always easier when towing whether is is a trailer or toad.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 04:51:15 AM »

In my research I have seen a lot of places like this. It does look better from a ground view.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&z=17&ll=46.704844,-112.029573&spn=0.004723,0.008626&t=k&om=1

It seems a lot of places are upgrading for bigger RVs but wouldn't one feel like cord wood stacked in.

So what I am hearing is privacy but socialable. Well manicured (rustic is out).

As far as zoning etc. the farm ground around me is being developed into a 1k+ homes development though I think they may be backing off on the number of houses they are going to put in. It seems a little odd that Nick's requirements (which are reasonable to me) will be almost the same size lots the houses will be on. The bus sounds a lot better I can always move from bad neighbors(hard to move a house)

Zoning and stuff I am still in the county which is a little less strict but the politics and paper work will be a major patience tester. From what I understand the new regs are 1 house for 5 acres otherwise a large community septic which generally run around here 80K plus yearly certification.

Skip

Hi Skip,

I don't think anybody mentioned Privacy... That is not a requirement that I posted.
Why would we need privacy bushes between sites? Save your money....Don't do it!
Also, Theese big Rig sites are usually sold out in advance. Call any Resort with theese
Big Sites and I'm sure they will tell you that there is a waiting list to get in.
I'm just trying to tell you "If You Build it They Will Come"

Nick-

cody

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 06:07:11 AM »

Personally I'd rather not have a privacy fence, I'm one of those that enjoys meeting people, one of my favorite things to do is to drag up a picnic table after we set up and some chairs and bring out the coffee pot with a stack of cups, seems it doesn't take long before we have a few people sitting around BSing and it always seems that before long someone has added a box of donuts to the table.  I'm also glad to see the new popups and campers coming in, to me, that means a new generation is trying out the Rv lifestyle, fresh blood is always good, especially up here where the mosquito's could starve if all they had to depend on were the old guys like me.
skipn

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »

Nick,

The privacy was taken from 'I sure don't want to look inside my neighbors window' so My take was privacy was only to the point of not being so close that everytime your neighbor flushes the toilette you know it. The picture you supplied is well designed because each slip is offset so when you
look out your front window you are not in direct line with your neighbor and enough space to breathe.

Couple of other thoughts/questions

1. Charging for day guests good or bad?
  2. I was surprised to find age limit RV camps with no children allowed. Are They that booked they can be that selective?
  3. Some have minor on site RV repair facilities and staff. Do you think that would be cost effective?

I really am appreciating the input. In the last 18 years I have only dry camped and it only been in the last few years I have been at fairgrounds that actually had electricity, water, one even had sewer. These are totally paved, sardine setups and I will tell you being on straight blacktop the poor
airconditioner ran 24-7

Skip
gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »

If you already own property,are allowed to do most of plumbing and  electrical your self. That has avaliable water,power and sewage with good drainage and  location,with no disputed use issues and in an area without  the need for a engineering study,where you can use your own design without any impact fees .... It currently runs about $6000. per spot national average... If any of the above are not true it jumps to $11000. + per spot instantly totaly based on local rates .. Also have not ever built anything in any state that allowed dry camping without  having full facilities (hook ups plus properly sized dumpstation, bathrooms, showers )   gg04

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
belfert

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »

These fairgrounds that have full hookups must offer camping all season to break even on the cost of upgrades.

The campgrounds at our local state fairgrounds is only used four to five weeks a year.  They have 15 or 20 amp service at most sites with a few 30 amp sites.  Water is shared among several sites and is not supposed to be hooked up fulltime.  No sewer, but they have a dump station.

They also have a large dry camping lot with no water, electric, or sewer.  The only amenity is some porta potties.  This lot is open 14 days a year.  Dry camping is $14 a day.

The prices are a little steep, but the nearest campgrounds are pretty far and often full.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »

Nick,

The privacy was taken from 'I sure don't want to look inside my neighbors window' so My take was privacy was only to the point of not being so close that everytime your neighbor flushes the toilette you know it. The picture you supplied is well designed because each slip is offset so when you
look out your front window you are not in direct line with your neighbor and enough space to breathe.

Couple of other thoughts/questions

1. Charging for day guests good or bad?
  2. I was surprised to find age limit RV camps with no children allowed. Are They that booked they can be that selective?
  3. Some have minor on site RV repair facilities and staff. Do you think that would be cost effective?

I really am appreciating the input. In the last 18 years I have only dry camped and it only been in the last few years I have been at fairgrounds that actually had electricity, water, one even had sewer. These are totally paved, sardine setups and I will tell you being on straight blacktop the poor
airconditioner ran 24-7

Skip

Sorry Skip,
I ment that I didn't want to be so close that my only view was my neighbors window.
There should be enough space between RV's so that they don't obstruct views.
Nick-

skipn

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

No problem Nick

As you can probably already tell I don't travel much around this country to see the sights so I am depending on others for what works and what doesn't. To me these kinds of investments requires no second guessing. You also know one must understand the clients needs and wishes. I do a lot of
 research in my daily life and real world experiences are just as important as facts and figures.

Skip
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »

Hi again Skip,

"1. Charging for day guests good or bad?
  3. Some have minor on site RV repair facilities and staff. Do you think that would be cost effective?"

Yes, charge for extra guests, have a repair man around for customers needs,  and most important,
charge an extra 20% above competive prices for convience. I'm talking about Food, Impulse items, Camping supplies, eaterys, cart rentals, etc.
You wouldn't belive what kind of things patrons can buy from you just because they don't have to travel out of camp!
If this a serious Venture, then look at it as your life....You need to squeeze every penny out of it to protect your investment and your future.
Bottom line, the "new age camper" will pay any price you ask if there is a value or an expierence that you give then everytime they come
that they can't get from your competiter.So, every new feature you put in...raise the prices, they will pay.
Have any more questions? This is getting exciteing....

Nick-

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:05:09 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 03:23:29 PM »

Definitely NOT pull through but a big view with a lot of services.

Welcome to the **** ******* RV Resort. We are located in Gold Beach, Oregon on the north bank of the Rogue River. We provide full hookups and a private dock where you may dock your boat or board the Rogue River Jet Boats. A laundry, showers, a grocery and bait and tackle shop (including fishing licenses) are located within the park. Steelhead and salmon fishing advice is free. Reservations can be made for fishing guides and jet boats at the park office. We are Good Sam and AAA affiliated.
Located on the mighty Rogue River in scenic southern Oregon. Some river front spaces.
Full Service. Open year round. Beautiful lawns and shade trees.
A Good Sam Park and a AAA affiliate.
RV spaces feature patios, lawns, shade trees, and all hookups.
Grocery, laundry room, and tackle shop are located within the park. Fishing licenses are available at the tackle shop.
42 full hookup spaces.
Private launching and dock facility on the river for your boat.
Where-to-fish advice is free. Reservations can be made for an experienced guide to take you fishing on either the Rogue River or the Pacific Ocean.
Click here for a great fish picture.
Make your reservation and then board a Jet Boat for a 64, 80, or 104 mile trip up the mighty Rogue River. View wildlife while on the trip.
Tent sites are available.
Your Pets are welcome.

$37 a day for the 6 spaces on the river.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: