Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 03:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headliner Glue  (Read 3966 times)
Lester

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

We installed a fabric headliner on the ceiling of our MC9 bus. We have used several types of spray glue and a brush on glue by 3M company. The headliner stays up for a while but the glue gradually lets go as the roof heats up. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the correct type of glue to use?
Les
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »

Lester,

I've had the same problem before, but really have no clear answer....... except:

About 15 years ago, I had a beautiful 1985 Buick Riviera. We had just had the head liner replaced (Trim Card type) and after about 6 weeks it started coming lose in the back by the rear window.

I first noticed it when my kids and I were at a McDonalds. My son, I think was about 9 at the time had a McD's strawberry shake, and while I was ranting and raving and looking for some thumbtacks to put the liner back up until I could take it back and get it repaired, took some of the shake on his straw and smeared it between the liner and the card.
I gave up and drove on home, then looked at the mess.
Well, that shake had dried on there so hard, it looked like it part of the original installation so I left it.
3 years later, when we sold the car, that repair was still there, and holding just as tight as it was the day it happened.

Now I'm not telling you to go get a McDonalds shake, but it does make you wonder what's in those things and what they are doing to your innards!
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »

I used:

DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive
Landau Top & Trim HHR Solvent Type
Spray Grade (natural) in 5 Gal can
Also available in red

This is a contact cement with a fast drying time (professional) and it's made to withstand high temperatures (LANDAU TOPS)

$50 from an upholstery shop - supposed to be only sold to professionals - but usually available to guys like us

Think they had 1 gal can @ $15

I used a cheap spray gun (Harbor Freight) - full pressure (100-120 psi) - comes out like cotton candy - that's fine - it means it working - to store - always keep it full - pull the trigger half way and shoot just air to clear the nozzle - block of the air hole and stored it in a plastic bag - keeps for months and months

Either paint the wood or spray it once and let it dry - then apply a second coat - If you don't the first coat gets absorbed into the wood and IT WILL NOT HOLD - I also spray the carpet twice (just let it dry - then respray) - it works much better - you will not be able to pull it apart

My first attempt without a double spray - released - pulled away - did not stick well

OPEN EVERY WINDOW/VENT - REMOVE ANY SOURCE OF FLAME OR SPARK - PUT FANS IN EVERY WINDOW - WEAR A GOOD MASK - BE CAREFULL

Pete RTS/Daytona
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 03:22:50 AM by RTS/Daytona » Logged

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:31:34 PM »

I second that pete. Your right on the money.

Still stuck,
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JerryH

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 05:07:18 AM »

We used 3M "90" to hold Ozite to metal ceiling.  So far so good ... no problems.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 06:20:09 AM »

My condolences, very frustrating. I checked with my friends and took my MCI5C  to a well recomended auto upolstry shop and had it done. Most things I do myself but I did not want any problems. 6 monts later it was starting to come down! I took it back and they injected adhesive into the loose areas and put it back up. Year later its coming down again.
 As I am looking over the situation I notice that the liner (this is a standard Ozite material used in RV) is starting to come loose in the middle of the radius and works out from there.
 I'm thinking as they installed the material they stretched the material at the radius. In other words at the radius it is always under tension. I pulled it all down, resprayed it all , put it back up being careful not to stretch or tension it at the radius. It has stayed up for 4 years now.
 It was originally put up with a 3M product. It was either headliner or headliner and trim adhesive.  HTH

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 06:36:59 AM »

I used the "Headliner Medic". He is a local guy that fixes headliners. It took him about 1/2 hour & he guarantees his work.  Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

I used 3M 90 to hold up the headliner in the bedroom.  I was a little to conservative with the spray, so have to re-due it.  When I filled in my windows I just cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, screwed the first one in place from the inside, then used white glue on the second sheet also screwed in from inside.  Then on the outside used 3M 90 to hold the aluminum sheet onto the wood (also riveted it, mainly for looks).  Also-before building my bathroom, glued a sheet of white chemlite to the ceiling for moisture control.  Both are still holding well after 12 years.  3M 90 spray works well-don't scrimp on the spray.  Spray both sides and let dry to the touch, then apply together correctly the first time, you don't get a second chance.  With headliner, I believe you apply while the glue is still wet for positioning.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 08:15:58 AM »

I get this stuff from a local supplier but they are national... Keyston Bros. supply... they carry every kind of headliner fabric known to man and all the goodies associated...

It's a spray can just like 3M stuff, but it's great and doesn't come off in heat.  Spray on both sides, let dry, apply, it will work perfectly for you.

It's called Keyston hi-temp heavy duty trim adhesive, part # ADH092

I use it for everything from headliners to adhering soundproof foam in my genset compartment.  Good stuff!!

Keyston:

Corporate Headquarters East
1000 Holcomb Woods Parkway, Suite 417
Roswell, GA 30076
Phone 770-587-2555 Fax: 770-587-3661

Corporate Headquarters West
2801 Academy Way, Suite A,
Sacramento, CA 95815-1800
Phone: 916-646-1834 FAX: 916-646-6392

Locations in:

Anaheim, CA
Atlanta, GA