Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 05:23:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite body prep tools, electric or pneumatic?  (Read 1233 times)
Dreamscape

« on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »

I would like to start collecting some body work tools. What is your favorite likes or dislikes?
Example: What sander works the best for preping existing painted areas?
             What tools do you use for body filler work?

I have done this type of work in the past, several years ago. Are there any better designed tools now.

Thanks for the input,

Paul

Dreamscape
kysteve

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »

Paul, my neighbors don't seem to care for any of my bodywork tools.....lol... Sad Sad Sad  But all jokes aside, I only have a 50 gal air compressor and it dont want to keep up with some of my air tools.  Like my favorite for paint prep is a 5 inch dual action sander, but my compressor frowns every time I pick it up.  So in my case I use both electric and air, electric mostly while im waiting on the compressor to catch up.  Just my adaptation I guess......Steve...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »

Because of the dust, electric would get destroyed rather quickly-that's why air is used.  A disc sander, jitter bug (random orbital) and inline pad sander should be a good start.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:30:37 AM »

Because of the dust, electric would get destroyed rather quickly-that's why air is used.  A disc sander, jitter bug (random orbital) and inline pad sander should be a good start.  Good Luck,

What is the difference between a disc sander and a random orbit sander?  I thought air disc sanders are usually randon orbit already?

Brian
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34:59 AM »

two stage air compressor with 75 gallon tank. Tools are only as good as the air you give em!

Grant
Sacramento

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »

In line air sanders, sometimes called air files, 17.5" long are great for large flat panels.

If you opt for one, Harbor Freight has one for $19.99. I bought one and it is a piece of junk. I wish I'd bit the bullet and bought the Ingersoll Rand. (about $70)

The Harbor Freight model won't hold paper unless you build it up with 3 double layers of duct tape, the paper clamp system is a copy of the Ingersoll unit but HF's copy is flimsy junk and keeps bending. I have to keep a pair of long nosed pliers handy to keep mine working.

Buying that, and my ex-wife, are the two bigggest mistakes I ever made in my life.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »

Disc sander rotates at 3-5000rpm, like a drill.  Orbital sander vibrates in place.  Disc sander-good for fast removal of Bondo, random orbital for slower finishing work.  Inline-good to get flat panels flat.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: