Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:15:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite body prep tools, electric or pneumatic?  (Read 1201 times)
Dreamscape

« on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »

I would like to start collecting some body work tools. What is your favorite likes or dislikes?
Example: What sander works the best for preping existing painted areas?
             What tools do you use for body filler work?

I have done this type of work in the past, several years ago. Are there any better designed tools now.

Thanks for the input,

Paul

Dreamscape
kysteve

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »

Paul, my neighbors don't seem to care for any of my bodywork tools.....lol... Sad Sad Sad  But all jokes aside, I only have a 50 gal air compressor and it dont want to keep up with some of my air tools.  Like my favorite for paint prep is a 5 inch dual action sander, but my compressor frowns every time I pick it up.  So in my case I use both electric and air, electric mostly while im waiting on the compressor to catch up.  Just my adaptation I guess......Steve...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »

Because of the dust, electric would get destroyed rather quickly-that's why air is used.  A disc sander, jitter bug (random orbital) and inline pad sander should be a good start.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:30:37 AM »

Because of the dust, electric would get destroyed rather quickly-that's why air is used.  A disc sander, jitter bug (random orbital) and inline pad sander should be a good start.  Good Luck,

What is the difference between a disc sander and a random orbit sander?  I thought air disc sanders are usually randon orbit already?

Brian
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34:59 AM »

two stage air compressor with 75 gallon tank. Tools are only as good as the air you give em!

Grant
Sacramento

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »

In line air sanders, sometimes called air files, 17.5" long are great for large flat panels.

If you opt for one, Harbor Freight has one for $19.99. I bought one and it is a piece of junk. I wish I'd bit the bullet and bought the Ingersoll Rand. (about $70)

The Harbor Freight model won't hold paper unless you build it up with 3 double layers of duct tape, the paper clamp system is a copy of the Ingersoll unit but HF's copy is flimsy junk and keeps bending. I have to keep a pair of long nosed pliers handy to keep mine working.

Buying that, and my ex-wife, are the two bigggest mistakes I ever made in my life.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »

Disc sander rotates at 3-5000rpm, like a drill.  Orbital sander vibrates in place.  Disc sander-good for fast removal of Bondo, random orbital for slower finishing work.  Inline-good to get flat panels flat.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: