Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:33:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8D's...Keep them or not...  (Read 1476 times)
Ross

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:27 AM »

Has anyone replaced the 8D's with smaller batteries.  I have another dead cell this spring and I'm looking at $146 for a new 8D.  I can buy 2 smaller batteries for less than that.  Since all they do now is start the bus, do I need 8D's?  Will the 300A bus alternator cook the smaller batteries?

Just full of questions this morning......Smiley

Thanks...Ross
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:37:48 AM »

You could use 4ea Grp 31's to replace 2ea Grp 8D's.  But then you would have to make up the cables to connect them all up.  Or you could go light and just use 2 Grp 31's and downgrade your cranking ability.  Are you also using these as your house batteries?, that would make a difference.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:54:46 AM »

Ross, Do you have a engine block heater? It makes a difference in how much ummph your batteries expend......

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:25:36 AM »

I have a block heater....Well, a new block heater that I haven't gotten around to installing.  I dread the thought of draining the cooling system.  The batteries are only for starting.  My house bats are a separate bank of 4 deep cycles.  I've been thinking and I think I'll just replace the 8D.  I replaced one of them last summer.  I replace this one and I'll have the cranking capacity and two new batteries.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »

After reading this board for some time and looking at all the options/opinions ect. 5 years ago I swapped from 2 8D's to 2 group 31's (this is a MCI5C 6V71 auto)  I moved the batteries to the engine compartment, the old rack for the AC compressor with a little tinkering made a good holder.  I also added a selector switch, if the bus batts won't do it (that has not happened yet) I can add the house batteries. I am still useing the original batteries i bought for the swap with no problems. The old battery compartment made a perfect place for 2 30lb LP tanks.
                                                    Work/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: