Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 03:53:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The bus and the internet...??  (Read 3476 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:15:58 PM »

Technology questions - how do you travel and stay contacted on the internet?  What options are out there?

Thanks,
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »

Danny,

I use a Verizon "card" that plugs into my laptop.  It works off the cell (phone) system.  Has worked everywhere my cell does.  Cost $60.00 a month.  I use it all the time... Sent this message with it.

Worked in Tombstone, Az.  this weekend.     Smiley

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
AKThom

When there is no mo sno... Thats when we go!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:14:35 PM »

Bill,
How much air time does that $60 include?
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 02:46:05 AM »

Danny,

We use Cingular with unlimited data, 550 anytime minutes/mo. weekends and nights after 7PM free and 2 LG CU500 data capable phones for about $130 per month.

The service has been pretty good over all with speeds up to 2.5mbps but normally we connect at somewhere between 115K and 325Kbps.

Right now we are in a bad spot for service and I'm only getting one bar, and am connected at 80Kbps, which really sucks! Unless I think about the old days with my blazing fast 14.4 dialup modem!

We connect to the computer with a USB cable and hang the phone out the window.

Dallas
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 05:02:11 AM »

I use Verizon wireless which means a second phone account, however it's data only and is unlimited as far as air time is concerned.  I haven't really had any problems I can't live with as long as I'm near an Interstate because that's where the cell towers are.

There are times I have a problem getting a connection, for example around 7-8 in the morning when all the gals on the way to work have their cell phones in their ears.  I truly believe that Data connections aren't the highest priority and so I get kicked off in favor of connecting the Soccer Mom's....or the gals drying their fingernails....or those sipping their Starbuck's on the way to the office.

I've laid out the asbestos suit 'cause I expect either Cat or Christy will have a few choice words about my picking on the ladies.  I calls 'em the way I sees 'em.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:24:59 AM »

We use the USB cable to connect out cell phone to the computer. Our cell phones are through Alltel and so far we have not been anywhere we could not get online (although a few spots were slower). We recently upgraded Paula's phone which was about 2 years old. Her new phone has a new technology which allows us to get a much higher speed connection, so the phone you use can make a difference. Our plan gives us unlimited high speed internet connection for an extra $24.95/month.  Jack
PS: We found this past weekend that we can be online and talking on the phone at the same time, although it does slow down a little.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 05:26:54 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:43:57 AM »

Verizon Wireless Card, $60 per month, Unlimited useage..

It works everywhere, even while I drive down the road, in tunnels, on ferry's, etc.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 06:10:07 AM »

It works everywhere, even while I drive down the road, in tunnels, on ferry's, etc.

How far west have you been with the Verizon card? 

There are still areas here in Minnesota and Wisconsin that have no digital cell service or only just enough service to put the phone into digital mode, but not enough service to do anything besides text messaging.  (Yes, my phone still does analog unlike a lot of newer cell phones.)

I really would like to get the Verizon service, but can't justify the cost since I have high speed at home and am not traveling enough yet.

Brian Elfert
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »

I use Sprint and am very happy with  it. But the plan I have is no longer available. For marginal service areas I have an external antenna, you can also buy amplified antennas. Not all cell phones will accept an external antenna, you might check befor buying a phone. If you want to spend time in remote areas a satellite setup is necessary.
  Most librarys and Universitys will let you use a computer, usually limited to 1 hour on a first come first served basis.
 I know what Bob means about those women on cell phones! Had one yakkin away and cut right in front of me. I dropped my coffee and egg mcmuffin trying to get out of her way. Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 07:47:21 AM »

How far west have you been with the Verizon card? 

There are still areas here in Minnesota and Wisconsin that have no digital cell service or only just enough service to put the phone into digital mode, but not enough service to do anything besides text messaging.  (Yes, my phone still does analog unlike a lot of newer cell phones.)

I really would like to get the Verizon service, but can't justify the cost since I have high speed at home and am not traveling enough yet.

Brian Elfert

Hi Brian,

West, I have only been to Columbus OH so far, and with great service.
From NY state to Naples Fl.  and everywhere in between. No problems ever getting online.

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:59:31 AM »

Sprint EVDO, RevA, Novatel U720 + Blackberry EvDO

700 - 1,100 kbps d/l typ., 400 - 500 kbps u/l typical.

Most anywhere except the boonies - but when I'm finally ready for that, all new technology will be out there!

Much info at evdoinfo.com, evdoforums.com, internetbycellphone yahoo group, internetbydatacard yahoo groups.

HTH!
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »

You should be able to go online and see where Verizon's coverage area is.

As fas as West, Phoenix is my present location, and it's working fine.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »

We use a Hughes Datastorm Sat system. We drycamp in the boonies a lot and out of cell range, use Voip or MSN for calling the kids. We love it, great speeds and connected in 5 mins form deploying the dish. $68 per month
belfert

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »

You should be able to go online and see where Verizon's coverage area is.

As fas as West, Phoenix is my present location, and it's working fine.

You're in a major metro area so it darn well better work.  Does it still work if you drive say 100 mles out on the Interstate and then drive another 40 or 50 miles off the Interstate and out into the desert?

Nick has had his work everywhere because he has mostly been in the highly populated eastern side of the USA.  I still would like to have Verizon's service, but I know it won't work in some of the remote areas I go to at times.  Once I leave I-80 near Reno, Nevada, all cell phone service ends about 15 or 20 miles off the Interstate.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »

Here is the low down on verizon wireless coverage..

Nick-

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: