Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 03:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The bus and the internet...??  (Read 3473 times)
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »

I use Verizon, VZACCESS, I'm like Belfert, I don't travel enough to justify the cost of a large lengthy contract. The VZACCESS works through your phone, and you only pay for it as you need it. When we traveled to Arcadia this year I brought my lap top, the verizon phone (has to be recent issue) and I had no problem getting access, although it was only about 100-150KBS.

The best part is, because I have one of their larger packages (needed for work) I was able to call them up and have Verizon activate the internet package for the trip, then I cancelled it when I got back. I think it only ran me about $10-$15 other than the time used. No need for a year or two package at $60 a month or more.

It worked very well for me to keep in touch with work checking emails ect. I could surf the net reasonably well, BUT, there is no way you would want it if you were going to be down loading large files. 

Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
belfert

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 08:21:23 PM »

What is VZaccess?  I've never heard of it.  I've heard of Broadband Access and National Access, but not VZaccess.

It sounds like you had National Access at Arcadia.  Broadband isn't in a lot of markets yet.  Heck, only 2/3s of the Minneapolis metro area has it to date.  My phone has National Access, but I think I would pay per minute the same as phone calls and it would add up fast unless I only did offline email.
captain ron

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 08:25:19 PM »

Verizon sucks in Wi, northern Mi, and parts of Belferts state. I'm in a broadband area right now.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 05:27:28 AM »

What is VZaccess?  I've never heard of it.  I've heard of Broadband Access and National Access, but not VZaccess.

It sounds like you had National Access at Arcadia.  Broadband isn't in a lot of markets yet.  Heck, only 2/3s of the Minneapolis metro area has it to date.  My phone has National Access, but I think I would pay per minute the same as phone calls and it would add up fast unless I only did offline email.

Hi Brian,

VZaccess is is Verizon's name for their software to access the network.
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 05:43:48 AM »

Verizon sucks in Wi, northern Mi, and parts of Belferts state. I'm in a broadband area right now.

My Verizon phone works pretty darn good just about anywhere I've been in Minnesota (Except wilderness areas where I don't expect to have service), but I don't know about the Internet.

There are some areas where GSM phones work better.  I think they are putting GSM coverage in more rural areas since most GSM phones have no analog fallback.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 05:47:59 AM »

My Verizon phone works pretty darn good just about anywhere I've been in Minnesota (Except wilderness areas where I don't expect to have service), but I don't know about the Internet.

There are some areas where GSM phones work better.  I think they are putting GSM coverage in more rural areas since most GSM phones have no analog fallback.

Hi Brian,

If this helps, My verizon card tends to have the same signal strength as my cell phone.
They advertize that anywhere your cell phone works, the card will too.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »

I have Hughesnet on a tripod and a Verizon aircard.  Downside to the tripod is that you can't use it underway and it's not practical to set up if you stop for an hour in the rest area.  Upside is the speed and the fact that is works anywhere.

The aircard works anywhere there is cell service, which is most of the US.  In or around larger population areas you can get true broadband.  Other areas you will be only slightly better than dial-up speeds.  Upside to the aircard is that it works underway and there is no setup to use it.  I took the bus out yesterday and didn't feel like hooking up the dish so I'm on the aircard now. 

The advantage to the new aircards it that they are USB and can be used with any computer.  If you live in a broadband area, plug the aircard into your home PC for broadband service, then when you travel, plug it into your laptop.  Even if you are not in a broadband area, the aircard service is still faster than dial-up.  Just doesn't make sense to have wired internet anymore.  I have no wired services anymore.  satellite TV, satellite internet, cell phone, aircard and satellite radio.  I can go anywhere in the US and everything still works.

Ross
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 06:47:39 AM »

Ross, is that satellite dish both send and receive?  Or do you also have to be connected via the aircard for sending.  The reason I ask is that I have been interested in getting a tripod based satellite system and would want send/receive.  But it seems that the send/receive systems mandate professional, fixed point installation until you get up to the bigger investements for a MobiSat system.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »

Ross, is that satellite dish both send and receive?  Or do you also have to be connected via the aircard for sending.  The reason I ask is that I have been interested in getting a tripod based satellite system and would want send/receive.  But it seems that the send/receive systems mandate professional, fixed point installation until you get up to the bigger investements for a MobiSat system.

HTR,
Ross's system both sends and receives! It is definetly a very high tech set up, and it takes him just a bit to get it set up just right. But once he's dialed in it works great, when he was here he set it up and I was able to use his system wireless from the laptop here at the house! (back before I moved the DSL from the shop to the house!) It's been a while but if I remeber correctly Ross said that you have to set it for receiving, and then set it for transmitting! Which is why he points out it's not practical to set up for a short rest stop. FWIW BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »

Hughesnet is send and recieve.  No phone line required.  It's the same service as the Data Storm, except it's not an automatic rooftop unit.  I bought the whole setup from Scott Whitney (Dustyfoot.com).  It takes 15 minutes on average to set up using the tools that Scott provides with the package.

Here's the thing with satellite internet....Hughes will tell you that it is illegal for you, the homeowner, to point your dish.  That is not true.  The FCC rules simply say that professional installation is recommended, not required.  The FCC does say that the dish has to be 5' off the ground.  The Dustyfoot tripod and others of the same design comply.  Other systems using construction tripods do not comply.  I doubt you would get hastled either way, but your chances are less if you comply with FCC rules.   

Ross 
Kirby-4104-FL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »

We traveled out west to Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, etc. last summer and most of the time had no problem receiving a Sprint signal.  We use the Sprint EVDO aircard that plugs into the USB port.

Kirby & Linda
captain ron

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »

Nick your last statement is misleading Your card will work only if your phone says "Verizon Wireless" when you open it up, which means your in a verizon digital area.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 06:54:03 PM »

Interesting, nobody has brought up WiFi. I cannot say much about it, becuse I have only been useing it for 2 months at one place.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

I have Wifi cards in my computers.  But the campground must have WiFi for it to be of use.  Most commercial campgrounds/resorts have WiFi I suppose, but many parks don't.  I plan to be spending time in State/National Parks and COE campgrounds in the coming months.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »

JJRbus .. WiFi at most parks is not that good. We had used it before we got our Datastorm and found it to be frustrating at time and typically had to be at the office to get a strong enough to get on line
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: