Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 08:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 volt charging system, 24v. bank, 24v. inverter, mostly 12v. load?  (Read 1928 times)
bruceknee

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:45:05 AM »

Not sure what the best way to proceed is. Thoughts are maybe- a 110 to 12v. 60 amp  converter which has a 2 stage charger        ( around $100)  hooked to the inverter,  maybe a small 12v. bank for a buffer. or- using a 60 amp vanner equlizer (which I have) and pulling my 12v. load from one leg of the bank. or- what? I do not have an equalizer on the coach batteries, should I? 24v. system, 12v. headlights. 102A3
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »

Bruce,

I was having the same problem.

Since my 24 vdc system was working OK for now I put in a Vanner and ran 12 vdc to my front drivers panel, rear panel and center panel.

At my leisure now I can switch over to 12 vdc if  I want, since I am going to LED (low dc draw) on all the new lights.

I have changed all the markers to LED and the front headlights.  I am planning on doing the rear tail lights in the near future.

This way you can use your 24 vdc control voltage to the relays as they are, but switch 12 vdc through them.

My set up is working great.

Good luck on yours

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:54:45 AM »

With a Vanner equalizer, this appears to be a no brainer.  Simple and powerfull.

Bus System -
24 volts for starting
12 volts for incidentals

House System
24 volts for inverter and charging (max efficiency)
12 volt for incidetals (center battery tap and Vanner equalizer)

Use 2 old air conditioning solenoids to connect the 24 volt positive bus sytem to 24 volt house system.  Do the same with the 12 volt positive cable.  This way, you can charge all batteries when driving down the road or sitting in a park.  You also equalize both battery banks with 1 Vanner equalizer.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 02:02:28 PM »

Gotta agree with Ed on this one, 60 amp Vanner, simplest way to go..  I used a selector switch instead of the solenoids seemed like the way to go.
                                                                                 Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »

Bruce,

I didn't mention it but I have a 60 amp Vanner.

Hooked the solenoid up to the 24vdc output on the voltage regulator to switch the house bank in when underway to charge.

Put a switch at the driver to switch in the start batterys(same solenoid) when stopped and keep them charged up if I want, but also keeps them isolated so as not to draw them down if not plugged in some where.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: