Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 07:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taillight Converter Question  (Read 1284 times)
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

I hooked up a Hidden Hitch Powered taillight converter today to convert my busses separate turn/brake lights to the standard common turn/brake lights on a trailer.  I was surprised that when a blinker is on, and I hit the brakes, the brakes override the blinker.  That is, the side that was blinking stays lit up.  I know that when I connect to my Explorer, the blinking side keeps blinking, and the other side lights up for brake. 

Is anyone using one of these converters who can verify how it works for me?

Chris

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »

Okay, not being one who gives up easy, I checked the converter on a battery stand alone. It does work as it should, blinkers override brakes. But it still did not work on the bus. I then checked the voltage on the taillights when the brakes were on, and it was less than 9V. I have 4 taillights, so I started removing them one at a time, with the brakes on and a blinker on. When I removed the 3rd one, voila, blinker started working. I measured the current, about 2 amps per light, so my guess is that the wiring is marginally sized. I did reseat all the connectors I could find, but it did not help.

Since I had just run a heavy guage wire from the battery to power the converter and the accessory pin on the 7-pin trailer connector I added, I decided to add a relay in the rear, to activate the brake lights, instead of drawing the power all the way from the front. WOW, my brake lights on the bus are way brighter, I mean like the sun. What a difference, and the trailer brake lights work as expected.

Whew, I am glad that is over!

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »

Chris,

If the lights had been converted from 24 volts to 12 without rewiring, then it's likely that wire is too small.

Len Silva

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: