Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing 91 Dakota backwards on Dolly  (Read 3517 times)
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:52:16 AM »

Anybody done the above any problems or troubles to watch for??

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
cody

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:19:41 AM »

Instead of putting miles on the truck, by towing it backwards wouldn't that tend to take miles off the truck eventually making it a new truck? lol
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »

If you tow backwards, you have to use a tow dolly-just one more thing you have to contend with.  Many tow big SUV's on all 4 with modifications to the drivetrain (I tow my Mercedes-Benz Turbodiesel that has a drivetrain disconnect on it).  There are requirements from the auto manufacturers as to towing on all 4's.  Many require all wheel drive when equipped with automatics so you can put the transfer case in neutral when towing so the transmission is not turning.  Some (like Saturn) can take towing without the disconnect.

Highly recommend that you do NOT tow backwards with a tow dolly.  It is inherently unstable.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »

Hi Larry,

Read this link from our archives....

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=2190.0

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
cody

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:46:57 AM »

Actually some dodges tow well 4 down, my 97 dodge ram has an automatic and is 4 wheel drive but if I put the transfer case in neutral and the shift lever in park with the key at the first position to unlock the steering column it tows like a dream.  You might want to check on that if you can with yours, it's much easier to tow 4 down than to mess around with a tow dolly, a tow dolly just means one more thing to move around when you get to your camp site.
beatsworkin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »

Yes you can tow your pick up backwords if you use a tow dolly BUT you have to be carefull to be vary steady on the steering of your towing vehicle.  The reason that the towed vehicle is un steady is because the heavy part ( motor ) is farther back and the lighter part ( box ) is centered over the axle of the toter.  I am in the used car business and I do it all the time but I do it for very short moves ,15 miles or less

Red
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »

Having the weight of anything under tow biased to the rear of center of gravity is always a bad idea.  Having two pivot points, the hitch and the dolly would only make things worse.  Have you ever towed a trailer without enough weight on the tongue?  Not pretty. 

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »

Don I have towed a few heavy loads in my time in the industry over a million accident free over the last 50 years I will attach a picture My 91 Dakota is 2 wheel drive auto is why I have to tow backwards my reg toad blew engine last week and I want to get on road real soon

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
havin' ta walk,
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:08:05 PM »

Larry -

Ever pushed a shopping cart in the grocery store backwards?

Basically, that's what you'll be doing if you try to tow the Dakota the way you're planning.

Due to the caster designed into the front-end steering geometry, towing backwards creates a very unstable situation.  Locking the steering column and removing the key isn't the answer, either - the pawl that locks the column isn't strong enough to withstand the forces that can be induced.

Most towing companies, when forced to do so, secure the steering wheel with some type of strapping to allow a tiny bit of movement (1/32nd turn or less), but no more.  They also don't tow this way very far, usually just 5 - 10 miles at city street speeds.

Suggest you get the regular toad's engine fixed. . .  Theoretically, a good shop should be able to drop in an exchange engine in less than a week.

Would be much less expensive than any damage claim should the Dakota break loose while being towed backwards. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 11:51:11 PM »

Wow Larry, now that is toad!   Shocked   Nice!!!!  So what do they say at the KOA office when you pull up with that?  Huh

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
cody

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 05:56:55 AM »

Wow larry, I'll bet that is tricky to back into a site at the campgrounds lol.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:28:55 AM »

Man, what was under that tarp?  The load doesn't look any bigger than about 4 full size cars.  Must have been a solid block of lead. Looks like 450,000 lbs by counting the axles.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 06:37:44 AM »

Len

Your close 482,000 147 feet long overall 24 feet wide took 9 days to get there 1147 miles and was classfied never got to see under tarp.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
havin' ta walk,

Quartzsite,
cody

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 06:42:45 AM »

I'm thinking that the generator was under the tarp,  lol how would you like to be boondocking next to that one when it was time to recharge the batteries lol.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 09:06:19 AM »

The caster setting & toe-in on the toad is what will cause the instability when towing it backwards.
You may be able to have the toad's alignment adjusted to minimize this, although the toad may feel a little loose when you are driving it.
Raising the rear of the toad will also help put the caster where you need it for pulling it backwards.

Russ is right, DO NOT rely on the steering column lock to hold the wheel straight (- If you have ever rebuilt a steering column, you will know how minimal the lock is). But if you do properly restrain the steering wheel, it won't be much different than regular towing with a dolly.

BTW, if your toad comes loose, it won't matter if it's forward or backward, you are still in deep s#!t.

A tow dolly can't compare to a regular trailer when it comes to tongue weight - very different dynamics involved. A tow dolly is more like towing 4 down.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: