Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 08:24:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing 91 Dakota backwards on Dolly  (Read 3512 times)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »

Your question was, towing 91 Dakota backwards on Dolly

Anybody done the above any problems or troubles to watch for??

I have a ďStehl Tow dolly, http://www.stehltow.com/ and in the
Owners manual it says to never tow a car backwards on the dolly,
And always leave the steering unlocked or the lock will brake.

I donít know why maybe someone here could send them an e-mail and ask, then post the reply.

I do know that when Iím towing a car on the dolly and make a turn not only does the platform turn but so does the steering wheel on the toad.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 04:28:45 PM »

I've had quite a few emails directly asking how we turned etc I won't say we can make a true 90 degree turn but close and I will post the company's web site where you can view pictures  how they turn etc  and yes we can park in adjacent sites  LOL enjoy the link.
http://diamondheavyhaul.com/convoy.htm

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »

Another factor that could come into play pulling the toad backwards would be if it has radial tires.  I've always understood that once a radial tire had been settled in, it is dangerous to put it in a position that would reverse its rotation direction (other than just backing up a little of course) because it could cause instability and early tire failure.  This is why radial tires are swapped front to back rather than the traditional 5 point rotation of bias ply tires when rotating the tires.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »

Another factor that could come into play pulling the toad backwards would be if it has radial tires.  I've always understood that once a radial tire had been settled in, it is dangerous to put it in a position that would reverse its rotation direction (other than just backing up a little of course) because it could cause instability and early tire failure.  This is why radial tires are swapped front to back rather than the traditional 5 point rotation of bias ply tires when rotating the tires.

Man, that's an old wives tale!  Grin

The torque transmitted thru the tire is reversed every time you change from acceleration to braking. So rolling forward or backward makes no real difference as far as the tire goes.

My 95 GMC suburban shows rotating the tires in a cross pattern that swaps sides (changing rotation direction) when going from front to rear & the rears move straight to the front.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 04:00:25 AM »

Man, that's an old wives tale!  Grin

The torque transmitted thru the tire is reversed every time you change from acceleration to braking. So rolling forward or backward makes no real difference as far as the tire goes.

My 95 GMC suburban shows rotating the tires in a cross pattern that swaps sides (changing rotation direction) when going from front to rear & the rears move straight to the front.

Just goes to show, learning is a never ending process.  That was taught as absolute fact for many years and it was reflected in tire rotation instructions in manuals for years.  But I just did a Google search and found a document by the NHTSA confirming that the criss cross approach is advised for all tires now.
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 04:34:49 AM »

(I tow my Mercedes-Benz Turbodiesel that has a drivetrain disconnect on it). 
  Tom, can I know what disconnect are you using, brand, model?
             thanks   wrench
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: