Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:05:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: webasto  (Read 790 times)
berrybus

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »

what is best diesel water heater out there? are they easy to install? are they worth the trouble? will a webasto heat a bus? thanks jim.

"No man is a bus."
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »

I think they are the best way to go.  The best one to use depends on where and how cheap you can get one.  Webasto seems to be the name brand everyone knows, but Proheat and Espar are also good.  I have an Espar and it seems to be quieter than the webasto units I've heard.

Easy to install depends on your skill set.  There is a lot to do and think about, so I think its kind of a PITA.  Of all the systems I've installed, by comparison, its a 9 out of 10 in PITA factor.  Not incuding any bus stuff.

a 40,000 btu is probably enough unless you live in the arctic, and then may be ok if you have lots of insulation and small windows.  Its best not to size it too big, they need to run closer to capacity, similar to a generator to get the best service and life from them.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »

Hi Jim,

I also think any diesel fired boiler is the way to go..  Like any componet, they can be involved a bit to install.

The end result will be a long lasting and very comfortable heat system.  I have a Proheat X45 system, works well

for my set-up.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »

I have heard nothing but alot of comments on how much work it is to set up a properly running Diesel fired water heater, with engine heat, heating the water for the shower, and then trying to keep it running with clogged injector tips, lots of additional hoses, and multiple heat exchangers-let alone the initial cost (AquaHot- over $6,000 new!).

I went the cheap way.  For hot water I used two 120v electric water heaters straight from Home Depot-one connected to the next with the final water heater wired through the inverter for hot water when driving (and no extra radiator hoses, since the extra loop heat exchanger in the water heater just about doubles the price of the water heater and also presents another possible leak point).  My stopped heat is a 35,000btu propane furnace that works well down to 25 degrees (lowest I've been in). And my driving heat is the original heat exchanger from the OEM that I had tested, reinstalled going length wise to the bus under my wardrobe/washer-dryer in the hallway powered by two 14" 12v electric radiator fans that heat the bus very quickly.  The grand total for the two water heaters, propane furnace, heat exchanger prep, and propane tank was less than $2,000.  And it has been completely trouble free (except for cleaning the furnace once a year, and draining the water heaters periodically) for the 12 years that they have been in the bus.  I don't think anyone with a hydronic system on their bus can say it has been completely trouble free.
If you need engine block heating, just install an 120vac electric block heater.  Very cheap at most truck supply places.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: