Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 09:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Injectors for an 8v71 for more power  (Read 1050 times)
poohbear

PoohBear

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »

I have a mci 9 that i am converting but going up a 7% grade it only goes about 35 mph.i would like more power i understand it is rated at 280 hp does anyone know what size injectors are in this engine and what the govenor is set at at no load. any recomendations on size injectors for more power would be appreciated also i was told that i could add a turbo off a 6v92 that that would help
                                                    thank you Richard

Richard, I moved your post from the Help board to the main board where I think you will get more information. Richard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:30:16 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »

The common injector for a 8V71 in bus service was a N60 or C60. If you are climbing 7% grades at 35 MPH you have a lot more power than most old buses.

If you want to get the number of your injectors  you have to remove the valve covers to see the tag on the side of the injectors.

Many things can be done and many dollars spent to hot rod a Detroit 2-stroke. The things to consider are how much you want to spend and what results you want. Any increase in HP requires upgrading the cooling system (expensive) and a decrease in fuel ecconomy.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »

Richard, the normal up grade would N65 injectors.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »

Richard- pull one of the valve covers and look at the tag on the injector (in the middle of the four valve springs).  If you have 60 injectors, I highly recommend you keep them since 65's will give you a bit more power, but a big hit on fuel mileage, since the torque curve on 65's is different.  The 60 injector has its' torque rated at 1200rpm-which is great for a 4 or 5 spd manual.  If you have an automatic, you could go to the 65 injectors that have their torque rated at 1600rpm.  Going from 60's to 65's, you'll go from 280hp and 730lb/ft torque to 300hp and 800lb/ft torque.  You could change to advanced cam timing and install 70's for a true 318hp with 860lb/ft torque. 
Course you could have the engine rebuilt into a turbo engine with a air to air intercooler.  With 80 injectors (that Detroit did make) you'd get 400hp and 1200lb/ft torque.  I had my 8V-71 turbo'd and installed an air to air intercooler with 9G75 injectors and am getting 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque-with a very noticeable change in power-it really wakes up the engine.  And my mileage, so far, is about the same.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: