Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 02:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto or manual trans ?  (Read 2219 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 06:55:13 AM »

I enjoy a manual. I also like a automatic... Personal preference. My Courier 96 has the 5 speed Spicer (stick) that it came with. It is great for that bus. I enjoy it because of the memories driving it in the Canadian Rokies years ago. Our Junior Hockey team's 102D3 has the 7 speed Fuller (also manual). Some of our volunteer drivers only drive a couple times a year and I cringe at the thought of them undougtedly being in neutral with their foot on the break once in a while. A straight cut manual is great if you are good at shifting it: you have to drive that bus regularly like every day to be confortable with it. Bus companies used to get manuals for the better fuel mileage, and they are cheaper to buy and maintain. Now only 1% of new coaches are purchased with manuals, partly because so few people can shift a manual anymore. And the new automatics are so nice. A manual in your bus makes it a lot harder to resell, therefore less value.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »

well aside from the resale value, it seems like a personal preference. I drove truck for years, so shifting doesn't bother me. My wife drives a standard car..I wonder If I could teach her to drive a stick bus without us having some sort of domestic incident..lol Roll Eyes

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 09:14:43 AM »

Travelingfools, I bought a MCI 5C w/stick in AZ. After driving it home the stick came out. Not the same as sticks in autos.  Maybe it was not ajusted right, but I could not see my wife drive it and still have my hair left. I am in NW PA if you get this way.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: