Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 09:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Led wiring help needed  (Read 1330 times)
bruceknee

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:32:07 AM »

I am working with a 3 wire,15 led tail/ brake light that is 12 v. and a 24v. system.  If I wire a pair of these in series to get the tail lights to work, how do I get the brake lights to work? Each light has 15 leds in it. Next question, using a 6 led marker light, how do I determine what resistor I need to use to connect them to 24v.?
thanks.
Rick Brown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »

Truck-lite sells 24V units, but at nearly $100 a pop they are pricy.  To determine series resistor size for a 12V led to be used in a 24 volt system measure the current to the led when it is powered by 12V.  The series resistor value is then 12V / measured current.  The resistor power rating should be greater than 12V * measured current.
-Rick Brown in Reno, NV
sergei

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 07:15:37 PM »

I use 3 wire 12v LEDs in my 9, used them for about a year, sometimes they  are on for 8-10hrs  at a time and they are always on  when driving. I wired mine parallel , Used an1156 auto 12 bulb as the resistor in series on the 3rd wire (ground). Resistors are cheap at radio Shack but I used what was on hand the day I decided to install the LEDs.

"LET FREEDOM RING-GOD BLESS"
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »

I just converted my taillights to LED and I was able to get 24 volts. I replaced all the lights, including the 7 inchers for less than 200.00. If possible, can you return your 12 volt units. I was able to get amber and red 4 inch lights with water tight pigtails and grommets for 24.00 a piece. The 7 inch brake light (56 led) was only 44.00.  I was able to hook directly to original wires without issue.  IU got my lights from:

http://www.etruckpart.com/index.htm

Good luck! I was also concerned about warranty trying to hook 12 volts to a 24 volt system? I have a lifetime warranty on these units.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: