Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:22:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking Up Generator To house for Emergency Power  (Read 5368 times)
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »

Might have been asking for trouble, but I just back fed the house panel through a spare 50A breaker.  When on grid power that 50A was shut off.  If the power went out, shut off the house main, turn on the 50A going to the genset and start the genset.  When grid power came back on, reverse the process.  Genset off, 50A breaker off, house main back on.  I only had to do this a couple times, but it worked fine.

Ross

Yes that does work fine until you get the order wrong and backfeed the power company's transformer and the lineman thought they were working on a dead circuit suddenly have 2,200 volts or more.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 09:57:43 PM »

I think you should always pull the meter if you are going to play. My power company just reseals it after a power outage. I tell them the lights were flickering and I pulled the meter for safety and thats really pretty much what happened..... If I had all the fancy transfer switches I still would not put generator power to my house without pulling the meter. Its the only way I know for sure, Its kid proof and tamper proof.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: