Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 11:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parts Interchange Info  (Read 1021 times)
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:33:16 PM »

Ok, after some time to mull over the advice given here on my earlier posts, I have decided to find a different coach to convert. I have setteled on a 40' newlook with a V730 and power steering and most likely a 6v71. A1 salvage has lots of T6H5307N's for sale that seem perfect. I'd like a coach with an 8v71, but so far the only one I have seen was the one on ebay last month, and TomC pointed out that it had a higher floor that reduced the headroom to 6'1"- not enough for us. The 6'10" in the regular newlooks is a might tight.
That gives me the added room we're looking for, a trans that will provide a bit better drivability, and power steering so my wife can actually park it. And it's still a newlook! (thats a good thing btw  Smiley)
I have googled this, and come up with nothing helpful. Almost all my mechanics ability is automotive, and there is lots of info, and personal experience, to help me know what fits where from what, and there is the ultra-handy Hollinder Interchange Manual. Anything like it for the newlooks?
Anyhow, with all that said, Here is my question.
Where can I get reliable info on interchangability of the parts on my 1966 with other coaches, like the T6H5307N?
I'm hoping to use it as a parts donor.
Also, who is a good one to talk with about traiding 2 6v71's (both running good) for a good running 8v71? I'm thinking that may be the only way I'll get a newlook with an 8v71 in it.

Thanks.
Keith
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:37:45 PM by WorkingOnWise » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:14 PM »

Keith- even though I like the 8V-71 better, since you have the 6V-71 in it now, you might consider swapping with a 6V-92TA since it is exactly the same on the outside.  Course you'll have to do some plumbing and possible radiator, air cleaner, and muffler upgrades.  And since the 6V-92TA is still being used in many buses, there should be a big surplus supply of them.  Glad you decided on a bus.  What size is the 5307?  Hopefully a 40ft x 102" wide-the extra 6 inches over 96" really makes a big difference.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:26:36 AM »

Hi TomC,
Yup, it is a 40'*102". Thanks for pointing out the low ceiling in the coach on ebay. I would have never known that was the case!
For the 6v92TA, you said that it's exactly the same on the outside? Do you mean the block and heads are the same and it's just got different jugs and crank? Heads are likely not the same, huh? But it sounds like the 6v92 might be a fairly easy swap. The cooling system and exhaust will get replaced on such an old coach anyway, so thats no problem.
Isn't the 6v92 the engine that the RTS coaches came with in '79 and '80?
Can the 6v92 be run without any electronic controls, like my 6v71 does? I know it's a step back do remove a DDEC system, but for what we want to do, we need simplicity first in the core coach. Right now, our coach's electrical system is 100% dead. Nothing works electrically, except the started and alternator, which are wired totally independent or the factory electrical system. Even with that major problem, I can still start and drive it reliably. Thats the kind of simplicity I mean.
I love all the electronics on modern vehicles, almost as much as I love being able to drive my coach even though it is a total basket case electrically! =)

Thanks
Keith
Thanks
Keith
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:38:05 AM by WorkingOnWise » Logged
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:24:37 AM »

Keith -

Try looking for a Flxible Metro transit bus with a 6V92TA / V-730 in it.  That powertrain will bolt right into your Fish.  The RTS powertrain, while the same, uses a different tilt to the engine (more upright) than the Flx and Fish.  The Flx/Fish cradles won't interchange, but the 92 will bolt right up to the stock Fish cradle.

The MUI (mechanical unit injector) 6V92TA can be bumped to 350 hp just by changing the injectors (9G90 IIRC) and a different scroll ratio on the turbo.

Flxibles aren't as popular as GMCs, so finding one shouldn't be as expensive. . . especially if all you want is the powertrain.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »

Hmmm. a 6V92 eh. That one is worth lookin into. Thanks.

How about the brake and suspension systems, both mechanical and pneumatic. What is interchancable between a mid '60's and a mid to late '70's newlook?

Thanks
Keith

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »

really the only way to answer your main question:  Is to build yourself a library of parts manuals...and manually cross reference the numbers.

quick answer.......ALOT swaps over.....build it right the first time and you do not have to change it for 20 years....LOL......if it were not for the Fed Gov't GM would have probably just updated the fishbowl rather than doing the RTX/RTS program
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »

Thats kinda what I thought. The same was true in the 60's and 70's for cars and light duty trucks....then Uncle Sam got overly involved...

So I'm gonna assume that everything is interchangeable and strip the '66 I have now of everything that isn't welded together, and buy the manuals for whatever I end up buying. I was just hoping that there was an already existing cross-reference book....I am lazy.

Thanks
Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: