Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 11:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trans for a transit and an 8V92  (Read 2700 times)
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »

I ran across someone who has a running 8v92T engine, and he wants $1000 for it.
It's in a boat, so the exhaust and oil/fuel lines will have to be replaced.

1) I think the 8V71 is the same size externally as the 8V92, and so it should fit into a fishbowl. Am I right?
2) Is there a V drive auto or manual trans that will fit, and survive the torque?

I have not wanted to really hop up a transit until now because, while I have seen 500hp marine 6V71's, their life is less than impressive, so I'd rather poke along at 55mph for 500,000 miles plus, rather than 85mph for 50,000 miles.
500hp from a 8V92 should still give a very reliable engine, so now I'm wondering.

Thanks
Keith
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »

In an easy word " Won't fit, No transmission V-drive will survive more that 350 hp and the torque.
The 8V92 runs the wrong way too. LEFT hand is needed for Transits with the V-Drives typically.
The marine versions also have the power kicked way up and life is shortened. Cooling issues and lots
of stuff would have to be changed if you could even find the parts.

You would be better off getting a Series 50/V-731R combo out of a later model RTS or A Cummins/ZFR combo
from a late 80's FLX-Grumman.

The other problem is weight. too much weight rips the rear bulkheads out. The 8V92 would be too heavy.

JMYO.....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

Sad Thanks Dave. I briefly had visions of brake-torque launches and mild burn-outs....
Oh well....

Thanks
Keith
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »

I once had visions of a Giant fire breathing jet engine with afterburner sticking out the back of an RTS....

I somehow got over that too.... It would be cool, But not feasable for daily driving...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »

The 8v92 is 1" longer.
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »

Dry weight of a 8V71 is 2310#
Dry weight of a 8V92TA is 2415#
per http://www.truck-express.ru/detroit.htm

or 8V71 is 2310#
8V92T is 2395#
per http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm

8V92 is one inch longer, but puts out a LOT more in waste heat. Where are you planning on putting the extra radiator(s)?
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »

I saw the http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm table, and while it is more than a little increase, won't the fishbowls take more tongue weight than that from a trailer?

As for waste heat, hmmm....that might be a stopper. There would need to be roughly double the cooling capacity of what the 6v71 cooling system has. That is a pretty big radiator, isn't it.

As for the transmission survival, are there any reasonable options? Any manuals that will fit and take the torque?

As for the jet on an RTS, the people behind you would be very unhappy as you melter the road ahead of them! It would be cool!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 11:54:02 PM »

While the 8V-92 can be configured just like the 8V-71 to run left handed and the fact it only weighs about 150lbs more than the 8V-71, the big problem with the 8V-92 is that it has a big vibration dampner on the front of the engine (looks like a small flywheel) that blocks the crank shaft mount that is used to mount the engine.  So your choices for use with a V drive are 6V-71, 8V-71, 6V-92 running left handed.  There is a reverser gear that mounts on the input shaft of the V730 that will allow a right handed engine to be run.  There are two that I know that have been used-the Detroit Series 50 and Cummins ISM.  As far as horsepower, transit ratings are very low compared to on highway buses because of the heat from start and stop.  S&J in Riverside, Ca that overhauled my transmission said there are bus converters that are running up towards 450hp from there pumped up 8V-71's without problem.  The basic transmission is a HT740 without 1st gear.  As long as the bevel gear is well oiled and not worn, they said it shouldn't be a problem.  My engine now puts out 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque that the V730 easily handles.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:10 AM »

Tom C,

I have got to say when ever I see one of your post, I read it from beginning to end. The information you give comes from the experience of having actually done what you are writing about. I can't recall you giving you info to anyone with a mean spirit even if you disagree with what another busnut is wanting to do or trying to do. In you last post on this thread you came to the table with nothing but the facts and numbers that people need. You have shown how to take an older engine that can be had for less $$$ and get the most out of it for those who want to stay with a mechanical engine, over the more expensive EC engines. You always give food for thought and do it in a way that more of us should try to match.

This is my favorite site because of guys like you, keep doing it your way Tom an then tell me what you did and how you did it. 

WVaNative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:24 AM »

I second that WVaNative.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 07:52:29 AM »

Thank you for the roses. I enjoy all of you and can appreciate the grinding work a conversion takes!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
WorkingOnWise

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »

So, I get the impression that a 40' 102" fishbowl with a 425hp 6v92 and a v731 trans, while not conventional, might make a reliable and fun coach, if maintained well and not abused too often?
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »

Do Marine engins make a good engine to get ?
I would think with all that Fresh or Salt water they would have lots of problems with Rust inside and out ?

Never new anyone with a boat that didnt always have issues with parts carodeing off or moisture in places you dont want it..

Just doesnt seem a good idea to me Huh
Could be wrong though... i was Once  Grin

Paul....

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »

working on wise

If you have ahigh horsepower 6v92  better plan on a big pocket book. Have a 6v92 @350 hp in my 04. It is a little hot rod but better keep my eye on the heat guage. I have been through two sets of heads, one set of pistons and liners. big rad. Just added another vent to the back to let more air out.

Still love to drive it though the power is great. Catch these new stick and staples. the look on hteir face as i blow by is worth it all.

Uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »

Gee, I was hoping its was a 35-foor 96-inch fishbowl. Now, that would really be something to drive.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: