Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 02:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I want an all electric coach???  (Read 5031 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

Ok....... All the threads I have read lately relating to fridge's and batteries, etc. have me considering going a different route.
  Since I bought a 4024 Xantrex,(still in the box)  and understand that it combined with good batteries and a decent generator I could probably run an all electric coach, I want to look into that.
  I had my Dometic fridge upgraded but it doesn't vent to the outside- the PO never did it. And I understand they are "not all that" in the cooling dept. anyway, so I would like to use a home style fridge.
  I also bought a new 3 burner cooktop, but have since looked into induction cooking and would rather go that route. That just seems waaaaay better.
  The only thing left is the hot water heater. It's propane. But I'm sure I could come up with something adequete there. Plus, I would like to eventually run a Proheat or Webasto anyway.
   Sooooooooo, what do ya think? Bail on the propane now and cut my losses or stay with it? I guess my thinking is that the Xantrex is the thing that is swaying me this way. If it really is something that will make going all electric feasable and maybe somewhat easy, I think I would like to do it.
  I have been trying to collect the things I want, and get everything sorted out and then do everything at once, but it looks like I may have been collecting the wrong stuff.  Undecided
   Oh well, wha'cha think?
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »

Not real up on All electric, but one Bus Dude related about running his coach 4 days on the system without useing the Gen. Didnt say How long it takes to Recharge all that battery power ?

Propain is kinda nasty, I mean it gets things Greasy, ya know Huh

I just like Useing Other peoples power, like at KOA. But if you want to be Way out in the boonies, then Huh
I personaly dont feel safe Way out in the boonies. To many Nut balls running around and I Dont like Guns. Had enough of thos in Nam.  Grin

Im a Peacenik now.. Used to be a Long haird, dirty Hippy, Pot smokin Peace Kreep.. But i gave up the Pot  Grin
oh, and Most of my Hair, fell out...  Roll Eyes

Tongue Tongue

Paul...

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »

I have all electric, solar panels, 24 volt frig, anything else I can get in 24 volts I use.  I'm very happy and can boondock for a long time with it.

13k wrico genset - 3 years old and only 25 hours on it
4024 inverter
600 amp hours of bats at 24 volts
600 watts of solar power - great stuff!!!
16 cu ft Sunfrost, 24 v refrigerator
Advantium Microwave, 110 v
I have a 2 burner 110 cooktip, just bought an induction unit to play with, so far its the only way to go.
3 15k btu rooftop airs
home theater system, 1 tv, soon to be two

I leave the refrigerator / freezer on all the time when its parked, I am not plugged in, solar does the rest.  I'm never down more than 10% on the house batteries, and always topped off by 10 or 11 am.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:51:03 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »

Hey Jim,
  That's awesome! That's what I want to know!!! What are the best way to do it, better appliances to use, things to be concerned with, etc.
  It just seems like it is a doable deal. Especially, if I'm not mistaken, with a 4024 to manage everything.
  I don't know that I will go solar, at least for awhile, but it's something I am considering. Funds make the priorities.
   Thanx!!!!!!!!!
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

Jim, do you think a 24 volt refrigerator is more efficient than a 120 volt unit running thru an inverter? What is the relative cost difference between the 24 volt unit and the 120 volt unit for comparible sizes?
Richard

I have all electric, solar panels, 24 volt frig, anything else I can get in 24 volts I use.  I'm very happy and can boondock for a long time with it.

13k wrico genset - 3 years old and only 25 hours on it
4024 inverter
600 amp hours of bats at 24 volts
600 watts of solar power - great stuff!!!
16 cu ft Sunfrost, 24 v refrigerator
Advantium Microwave, 110 v
I have a 2 burner 110 cooktip, just bought an induction unit to play with, so far its the only way to go.
3 15k btu rooftop airs
home theater system, 1 tv, soon to be two

I leave the refrigerator / freezer on all the time when its parked, I am not plugged in, solar does the rest.  I'm never down more than 10% on the house batteries, and always topped off by 10 or 11 am.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »

Yes, the 24 v refrigerator is significantly more efficient than a 110 going thru an inverter.  In addition, this unit has two compressors, one for the refrig, one for the freezer.  What this means is that there is no air flow between the refrig and freezer.  This translates into much less (if any ) freezer burn, and veggies etc keep much better in the refrig as it maintains higher humidity.

Now the bad news, I paid $2700 for the refrig, many times what a home depot job costs.

I have a friend who got a side by side refirgerator with bad compressor, and is putting some of those 24 volt Danfoss compressors in it to acheive the same thing.  (he's currentl running teh danfoss compressors in an ice chest which is very efficient since its small.

The other thing about he Sunfrost unit is that it has about 4" of insulation in it, something you can do with any refrigerator by adding several inches to the outside.

I'm not sure what all the dollar tradeoff's are, such as needing less battery or solar due to greater efficiency, or cost per usage (since I don't live in it and my $ per usage is probably pretty high). Or spending the $ on just running the genset or other tradeoffs.   I just wanted it since I boondock a lot.  Probably not really cost efficient, but its cool.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 12:50:26 PM »

Not all refrigerators can be insulated on the outside! Many of the new ones use the walls as the heat exchanger. When planning refrigerator space this must be kept in mind. There is a big difference in price and size between an RV type fridge and a house type. I spent the difference on an inverter.  I like to cook with gas, I am going to carry propane for the grill, so why not use it for the cooktop. My RV type water heater is LP, it also can use electric, best of both worlds. I carry 2 30lb LP tanks and they last forever. Unless I use the RV type funace.
 Doing another converson for fulltiming I would go with a Wabosto type heater with radiant floor heat.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »

To better answer your question you need to assess what type of "camping" you are planning.  I went all electric because I was not planning on being away from a power pole for long, and I use my genset to run my A/C's anyway, so it runs everything I need on the road.  I have a small inverter (500W) for some lights for the 'tween times.   My apartment size fridge was like 269 bucks and gets cold as heck.  I do not have a house battery bank.

The more you are away from the pole, or not willing to use the genny, they more complicated power becomes, and the more costly.  Big battery set, big inverter, three state charges, solar, etc all add up to big big bucks. 

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 02:05:33 PM »

have two all electric coaches in my family.....key is to but the proper compnents. and to build the system right.

my folks will go on a two week trip and never run the genset.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »

Tekebird,
  So what appliances and such would you reccomend? I don't think I can afford Jim's fridge.  Shocked   Smiley

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

Hey CHAZ!!!

You're single right?  Since it's just you on the road, take a look at this:

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=IGL+COOL+CHILL+40+BL&HDR=thermotravel

You could buy a couple of them and have plenty of room.  (The ad says each holds 52 cans Roll Eyes)

I have thought about doing this on my next coach.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

any RV/Marine duDuel electric model.

I have the one I am taking out of the 4104 providing it fits out the side window...but it is in PA.

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 05:49:48 PM »

Hey Brojcol,
  HA!! That is cool, but I think I would like a conventional fridge. Smiley  BUT!!!! As a back up for NASCAR trips and such, that might not be a bad idea. Ay least something to think about.
  But for now, I just think it's cool to go to a fridge and open it up to get something while riding down the road. Just something neat about that, ya know?!

I like my red wine at room temp, but my margurita's frozen,
      Chaz

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »

Hi Chaz,
I think Cris 85 RTS gave you the best advise as to whether an all electric coach will be best for you. Determine how you want to use your bus before making the decision to abandon the LP appliances you already have. It isn't just the initial cost of your components that determine the final decision of what is best for you. If you plan on boondocking, the electricity you take from your batteries has to be replaced from some source. If that source is a power pole after a short boondock it will be relatively cheap to replace, however if you have to use your generator it will be very expensive. With LP appliances your boondocking cost will be moderate unless you need A/C. If you need heat with an all electric coach you will be running your generator, with an LP furnace, or diesel heat, you will not, unless you boondock for days at a time. The same for water heating. I do think that the choice you made for your inverter is the best whether you go all electric or not. we all think that the way We all think that the way we have done our coach is the best way possible, but your or my way is not necessarly the best way for someone else's lifestyle. Chaz, please consider all the options before making your decision.
Thanks, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »

Chaz, while I was busy enclosing my windows and replacing some siding etc. I read a post on one of the boards by a couple of fulltimers, that they picked a destination and rented a trailer lot for a month.
   From there they used the toad to see everything they wanted to, then moved on to the next destination and repeated the process.
  I though to myself "that makes sense". Only  changing the procedure if I wanted to camp on a beach somewhere.

I'll rent a spot and see Yosemite by day, camping there and trying to get a bear out of the back of my toad at 3AM is not my style.

You just need to make up your mind what kind of travelling you're going to do.

I like the induction hot plates/rangetops also. And a combination convection oven microwave.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: