Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 09:35:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I want an all electric coach???  (Read 5036 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »

Solar panels is a great thing to have on any RV. They work great when the sun is high and bright. However in September say, parked in some big trees, in Northern US or Canada, they don't work worth a damn. You have to remember that.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 07:01:51 AM »

Jim, i know they work both ways but the amp hours double when it runs on 12v the 2 people i know that run on 12v have problems with them i have 3 other friends that have mcis 24v and have no problems and i have had no luck with lifeline batteries so i am buying Concorde this time, kyle has a good point but if i can't have the comfort of home i don't need the bus
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 07:13:24 AM »

I speculate that they did not use heavy enough wire gauge to run from 12 volts.  I used 10 gauge for a farily short run at 24 volts.  There would be significant  losses, heat build up and probably voltage drop that would be hard on the units.

Amen to having your bus like you like it.  I look forward to meeting you at Bus'N USA.

Kyle, you are right about the solar not being very effective if you are up north under trees. Although I do travel up north, and love the beauty of the area, and especially trees, since I live in the southern part of the US, most of my time is spent here and I seem to be getting  a big bang out my buck.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:29:34 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »

Hey Jim,
  Would you have any pix you could post of your panels? I, for one, would kinda like to see what you are doing. I also like the idea of parking my bus next to the house and utilizing them around here also.
   By the way, this has turned into a great thread!!!

Thanx guys!
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »

Errrr ...... LUVRBUS ...... Lifelines are made by Concorde ...... Maybe you would be interested in some 8D AGM's from Trojan for under $200 each? HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »

if i can't have the comfort of home i don't need the bus

To each their own, that's what makes this forum so usefull.

If you've got all the comforts of home at home, why would you want to leave?  Grin

I want as many comforts as I can get while traveling, that is why I suggested a total needs/ system approach. If you can reduce your needs, it is easier to satisfy them all & have an enjoyable time.

Solar has it's place, just as propane, diesel, agm batteries, trojan batteries, inverters etc.

Before deciding on the parts, choose a goal & desired method of attaining it. Then get the parts that fit your plan. That's where these open discussions have helped me plan the total system.

Bottom line - with what this hobby costs, you need to enjoy your time on it!  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »

Well said, Kyle, well said.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: