Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 12:13:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brake and VS2 Problem on a 8V71  (Read 1083 times)
Dallas

« on: May 11, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »

OK all you experts, I'll do my best to explain the problem. Maybe you can come up with some new ideas.
I have a friends 74 Flx transit here that has an 8V71, new rebuild, N70's, Jake, VS2-8.
When using the Jake to slow down, the slowing is minimal. It almost feels as if there is only one bank working, however, I can hear all the solenoids click with the engine not running.
I have followed the Jake troubleshooting manual and can find nothing wrong mechanically.
One thing I have noticed, the dash switch is only ON or OFF there is no stage selector.
Anyone have any ideas?
The next problem.
The gentleman who owns this coach says that it drops out of gear at times and then he has to get a crowbar to force the shifting rod back in. I don't know much about the VS-2, what could be causing this?
I thought that since this is an air operated transmission, the rod would stay in as long as there was air pressure.
I can't seem to figure out how it would lose air pressure only on that section and not on the rest of the system.

I suppose I didn't get this really clear, but maybe it's enough.
Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »

Dallas, I had trouble with my Jake not providing proper braking action similar to what you describe. As I recall, the Jake instructions were to set the Jake solenoid clearance at either .063 or .059, depending on the heads. Mine were to be set at .059. I decreased the clearance to .055 and they worked great then. I do not know if there is a possibility of damaging the engine with this change, so be very careful what you do.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:40:35 PM »

Thanks Richard,
I'll check that again tomorrow. I may have the wrong setting there.
Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: