Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 12:32:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tankless Air Compressor Recommendations  (Read 2317 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: May 09, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »

Greetings all,

Just got my MC9 back from the shop and she holds air really well now.   Grin

I would like to add a tankless air compressor*  to occaisionally pump in a bit of air as necessary to the bus while parked. I want to eventually do the air-leveling system.

I saw this thread on the board

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=267.0

in which a 1/2 horse compressor was recommended.

Does any one have a specific link or suggestion for a QUIET, tankless unit that has performed well for them?  I'm picturing mounting it in the engine compartment, so would rather not wake up embedded in the ceiling whenever the compressor starts up.   Shocked

Thank you,

Phil

* It's a tankless job, but someone's got to do it.   Grin

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »

Phil,

I am going to put mine in the rear baggage bay near my main disconnect.

It will only have power when on shore cord and have a check valve to the air input.

I had it mounted  in the old a/c compressor compartment and I could see it would be ruined down the road.

I am going to put it in a box with sound protection, hopefully this will keep me and the camping neighbors happy.

I don't think your going to find a quiet 1/2 hp tankless, just going to have to make it that way.

I just completed replacing a few air bags and tightning up the leaks in my suspension, 11 days and hasn't dropped a inch Grin

Just gotta love when acts like new again Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

Greetings Cliff,

What is your soundproof box going to look like?  What kind of materials will you be using? 

Thanks again!  Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:16:43 PM »

Phil,
I bought a 2 HP 4 gallon oil sump compressor from Advance Auto Parts for $88. It's pretty quiet and has enough power to run my impact wrench.
I like it because it has a crankcase and should last longer than the oiless type.
My plan is to dismount it from the frame it's on and put it in the spare tire compartment. I can either leave the 2 little tanks on it or take them off and run it directly to the wet tank on the bus.
The Advance Auto Parts number is 9050069
Dallas
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:35:02 PM »

Phil, I bought a Sears 1/2hp piston pump,belt driven type compressor at a yard sale for $20 and torched off the tank. The compressor and motor are still on the original mount as I cut it off the tank. It has a check valve in the output line of the compressor head. I plumbed it in temporaly to make sure it worked. It did fine, but I need to buy a water seperator to plumb in before I mount it permanently.
 Its quiet. In the bay with the door closed, you wouldnt hear it from the next campsite.
Hope this helps, Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:43:36 PM »

Cliff,
   If you make a sound box, allow for air flow. Compressors can create a considerable amount of heat.
   We purchased the same compressor that Dallas uses. (Thanks Dallas for the info) We installed it in the fron bay on a piece of 1/2" high density foam to isolate it from the compartment floor. With the bay doors closed, it is not much louder than the water pump is with the bay doors open.   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:10:48 PM »

Phil,

I have not really planned a design yet. Tongue  But, I was thinking of a box wrapped in lead lined foam that I have left over.  Maybe a couple of round attic vents in the top so it could breath. More to muffle it than eliminate the sound.

I am going to put it on some HD foam as Jack suggested and close the door for a sound check.

I may not even need the box. 

I also have four vibration isolators left over from the generator slide project that I may try.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »

Try eBay #7618318154. It looks about like what we bought.

HTH

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
jatnip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »

Phil
Try using the 1 inch sound batting that they use in HVAC  heating ducts.  I think it has the highest sound deading rating.  Jim
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 04:36:16 AM »

Try eBay #7618318154. It looks about like what we bought.

Dang, they're proud of their shipping and handling! Must be wrapped in gold leaf paper.

These are oilless, and will not be super quiet, but probably could be improved if mounted properly. They'll have a limited life span if run for extended periods.

I bought a couple pumps that were used in the Brake Buddy system. They are 12 volts and put out a limited amount of air, but work well for my bay door locks. I'd never try to air up the bus suspension with them, but I think if I isolate my leveling system, I can probably use one to keep it aired up when parked.

For airing up the suspension, I have an oil type compressor from Harbor Freight. About $90. It works pretty well and is not as noisy as the oilless ones I've seen in comparable size. I may separate the tank and compressor and tie it all together with the leveling system pumps so I can use the tank for volume in the leveling system or use the 120 volt compressor for leveling, also.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: