Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Way Off Topic  (Read 1225 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »

Life in the 1500's

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.  Here are some facts about the1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June.  However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor.  Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.  The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children.  Last of all the babies.  By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.  Hence the saying: Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water.

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath.  It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.  Hence the saying: It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.  This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed.  Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection.  That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt.  Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.  Hence the saying: Dirt poor.

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing.  As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside.  A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway.  Hence the term: thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.  Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot.  They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat.  They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.  Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.  Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.  When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off.  It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon.  They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat..

Those with money had plates made of pewter.  Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death.  This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status.  Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky.  The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.  Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.  They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.  Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people.  So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.  When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive.  So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell.  Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer..

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring !  !  !

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »

Ahhh, the good old days! Grin

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

I don't know if it is being reported over there or not, but the Cutty Sark caught fire this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

I went on a guided tour round it a few years ago, and the tour guide explained the 'ship-board' origins of many well known phrases. Three off the top of my head were:

'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' - sailors were made to flog each other when punishments were given out - hence they would agree amongst themselves to do it as gently as possible

'Square Meal' - food was served on flat squares of wood

'Flash in the Pan' - when a cannon was loaded badly the priming charge would go off without detonating the main gunpowder in the barrel

There were quite a few others I've forgotton

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »

I don't know if it is being reported over there or not, but the Cutty Sark caught fire this morning:

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

I went on a guided tour round it a few years ago, and the tour guide explained the 'ship-board' origins of many well known phrases. Three off the top of my head were:

'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' - sailors were made to flog each other when punishments were given out - hence they would agree amongst themselves to do it as gently as possible

'Square Meal' - food was served on flat squares of wood

'Flash in the Pan' - when a cannon was loaded badly the priming charge would go off without detonating the main gunpowder in the barrel

There were quite a few others I've forgotton

Jeremy

Yes, Jeremy, It was reported on at least 3 of our major media organizations. Pictures show it burned nearly to the water line as far as I could tell from the grainey picture I saw.

Sad, I've spent some of the best hours of my life with Cutty Sark. I wish I could remember some of them!  Wink

Seriously, She is a handsome vessel and I hope there are plans in the works to re-restore her.

Dallas
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »

Yes, Jeremy, It was reported on at least 3 of our major media organizations. Pictures show it burned nearly to the water line as far as I could tell from the grainey picture I saw.

Sad, I've spent some of the best hours of my life with Cutty Sark. I wish I could remember some of them!  Wink

Seriously, She is a handsome vessel and I hope there are plans in the works to re-restore her.

Dallas

Yes, it's a damn shame. Apparently the only saving grace is that they were already in the middle of a major restoration, and a large proportion of the ship had been removed for work elsewhere. They are already saying that it can be saved, but cost will be astronomic. (The work already underway was going to cost £25m ($50m)).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »

I heard this morning that the Cutty Sark fire was suspicious...

What do people in the UK say???

(just curious)

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 01:06:50 PM »

If you remember the original Hollywood Squares and its comics, this may bring a tear to your eyes.  These great questions and answers are from the days when “Hollywood Squares" game show responses were spontaneous and clever, not scripted and (often) dull, as they are now.  Peter Marshall was the host asking the questions, of course.

Q.  Do female frogs croak?

A.  Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

Q.  If you're going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be?

A.  Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

Q.  True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.

A.  George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

Q.  You've been having trouble going to sleep.  Are you probably a man or a woman?

A.  Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

Q.  According to Cosmopolitan, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he's married?

A.  Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.

Q.  Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?

A.  Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Q.  In Hawaiian, does it take more than three words to say "I Love You"?

A.  Vincent Price: No , you can say it with a pineapple and a twenty.

Q.  What are "Do It," "I Can Help," and "I Can't Get Enough"?

A.  George Gobel: I don't know, but it's coming from the next apartment.

Q.  As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?

A.  Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question Peter, and I'll give you a gesture you'll never forget

Q.  Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?

A.  Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.

Q.  Charley, you've just decided to grow strawberries.  Are you going to get any during the first year?

A.  Charley Weaver: Of course not, I'm too busy growing strawberries.

Q.  In bowling, what's a perfect score?

A.  Rose Marie: Ralph, the pin boy.

Q.  It is considered in bad taste to discuss two subjects at nudist camps.  One is politics, what is the other?

A.  Paul Lynde: Tape measures.

Q.  During a tornado, are you safer in the bedroom or in the closet?

A.  Rose Marie: Unfortunately Peter, I'm always safe in the bedroom.

Q.  Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?

A.  Marty Allen: Only after lights out.

Q.  When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail.

What will a goose do?

A.  Paul Lynde: Make him bark?

Q.  If you were pregnant for two years, what would you give birth to?

A.  Paul Lynde: Whatever it is, it would never be afraid of the dark.

Q.  According to Ann Landers, is there anything wrong with getting into the habit of kissing a lot of people?

A.  Charley Weaver: It got me out of the army.

Q.  It is the most abused and neglected part of your body, what is it?

A.  Paul Lynde: Mine may be abused, but it certainly isn't neglected.

Q.  Back in the old days, when Great Grandpa put horseradish on his head, what was he trying to do?

A.  George Gobel: Get it in his mouth.

Q.  Who stays pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?

A.  Paul Lynde: Who told you about my elephant?

Q.  When couples have a baby, who is responsible for its sex?

A.  Charley Weaver: I'll lend him the car, the rest is up to him.

Q.  Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions.  What are they?

A.  Charley Weaver: His feet.

Q.  According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?

A.  Paul Lynde: Point and laugh.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »

Thanks DML, those were great.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »

Probably most of the kids on here are too young to remember them though! LOL
Richard

Thanks DML, those were great.

Ed.

Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 07:30:50 PM »

That's too bad that the younger generation has no memory of that show, it was really funny. I still can see their faces, and hear the quick whit of the contestants. Those were the days! Wink Wink

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: