Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 12:47:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Up grading to bigger detroit  (Read 5682 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »

Don't know if anyony has thought about this but your Eagle has a drop box. It has a max hp rating. I just completely rebuilt mine. The three gears are no longer produced and the remaining new ones available are approching gold pricing!! LOL. I would sorta watch the hp I put on the box. I am looking at upgrading my Eagle from the 8-71 to the Cummins ISM with an overdrive transmission. It is a 425 hp engine, can't remember the tourqe. I think in the 1200-1400 range. The 8-71 in stock bus dress was 285 hp. and I think about 800-900 lbs. The new ford and Dodge pickups have more than that!!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

I'm with Brian. THIS IS AN OLD POST FROM THE ARCHIVES! 2

2007 vintage

The original poster does not read the boards anymore.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 06:44:10 AM »

I know it is a old post this for Eric, someone is blowing smoke about the drop box and the hp rating those are rated 2850 input torque I know Eagle owners that have 625 hp Cat,Cummins and Detroit engines in front of the drop box only draw back to one is the gearing for the differential and some have worked around that by cutting new gears,FWIW my 8v92 had 1580 lbs of torque going into it never a problem for me. 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »

Our new friend XE1UFO seems to have a penchant for digging up multi-year old threads and replying to them.  I find it irritating, personally. 

Brian

So sorry, Brian. I have no intention of irritating anybody. I am just trying to learn all I can.

Be blessed and enjoy life.

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »

Well, something that I think no one would ever object to is if you found a post or thread in the archives and linked to it with a fresh  question. Or even replied to it saying something like "Sorry for dragging this old thread out again, but I had these questions about what was discussed in it."  if you didn't know how to link.

I spent a fair bit of time crafting a considered reply to one of your resurrected posts and frankly felt a bit of  a chump for doing so, when I realized that the OP had the problem three or four year earlier and had no doubt figured it out by now.  Waste of my time.

On the other hand people seem to want to continue to discuss installing big engines in their bus, that may be a universal topic!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »

It IS an old post.  When I saw "Driving Miss Lazy" on here I thought maybe Richard came back to life.

Did the original poster every get the "big dog" engine?

David
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:46:48 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »

Even though it is an old thread I am learnin (as we say down south) a lot. I was worried about putting to much hp and tourqe on the drop box. I hear some say no problem and then some say I wouldn't do that. I was talking to Byron Pigg at Santee this year about that very issue. He has a 500hp 60 in his 15. He said he had no problems in 1ook  miles. He left there and lost the whole read end!! I hope I didn't jinx him!! I know the box is pretty heavy duty, cause I wreastled the beast out and and back unfer there!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

Eric, Bryon lost the ring gear and pinion nothing happen to the drop box Jim stills has the drop box behind his 60 s so does Ben they don't give problems just a little tlc from time to time.

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »

If you're worried about the drop box, always run an electronically controlled Allison automatic, and it will live the longest.  Running a manual transmission-no matter how good of a shifter you are, you're going to grind gears and jolt the bus-one of the worst things you can do to the driveline!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: