Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 07:28:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding down furniture while driving  (Read 3329 times)
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »

Since I'm getting close to ditching that jr.member status I'll post this question, then I'll be one closer.
What does everyone do with those pieces of furniture that are best not permanently mounted while driving?
I have 2 swivel recliners in my living room area each has a foot stool.  I don't want to fix their location as the room isn't large and where they are is highly dependent on how they are being used.  I'm thinking of using a ratchet strap to hold them along the wall while traveling.  Has anyone else done something like that?
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

Jerry, could you put them in the chairs and attach with a short bungie while driving?  Or maybe lie them down in your tub? 

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »

Hello Jerry.

We use an extensive number of ratchet tie downs to hold all sorts of temporary furniture as we close in on the final design.

The original seat track down the wall works great with short carriage bolts, with just enough of one side of the head ground off to allow them to be inserted and turned anywhere and the angle bracket of your choice bolted to it all to attach the hook end of the strap.

On arrival, undo and re-position everything from chairs to dressers to water cooler to refrigerators.... you get the idea!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

I have a free standing table and chairs on a tile floor.I don't tie them down and they stay in place while we travel.They only moved one time (panic stop). They only moved about 2 inches.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »

Bubbagal,
   While the tub is the ultimate child safety seat, with the closet above of course, it's reserved for holding all the open containers of adult beverage.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »

But with the stools there, you can sit and drink and don't have to worry about falling over.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »

Bubbagal,
   Hadn't thought of that, also spills are no problem either.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
cody

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »

I have a recliner and a chair, sitting on carpeting, they don't move at all on the road unless I have a panic stop then they may move a couple of inches, not a problem for me.  Have thought about installing a mother-in-law launcher tho at times lol.
captain ron

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »

My ratchet strap holds the door closed Grin
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »

How about legirons or handcuffs, they are probably avalilable with Harley Davidson embems on them at Adam and Eve's

When parked you could still put them to good use.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »

Hello.

Folks, you want to worry about how far they will move if you hit something, not how far they move when you put on full brakes.

Ask any experienced collision reconstructionist about the number of folks killed by stuff inside their vehicles whacking them from behind when involved in front end collisions. The forces are way higher than the brakes can generate.

I'm good, so are you, but we can't stop the drunk from crossing the line coming towards us.

Tie 'em off with something, anything, so they don't become missiles!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

Jerry, my similar chair doesn't move! It's the newer euro style with a round wooden base. I can barely move it manually!
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:35:12 AM »

The heavier the bit of furniture, the harder it will belt you on the back of the head when you hit something a bit harder than a drunk crossing the road.  The best your brakes can do is something well under half a gee. Hit something hard and it will produce several gee.

I have some angle brackets bolted at the original chair rail mounting points and all moveable furniture is tied with 5/8" diameter rope lanyards. A loop spliced onto one end allows the rope to be fixed around a convenient part of the item and a snap hook on the other end goes on to the angle bracket. Each of the ropes is just long enough to allow thae item to be used normally for short stops and is easily removable io allow more movement during extended stops. Obviously the ropes aren't going to hold in a head-on with a semi, but I figure a bit of flying furniture will be the least of my problems. The system was passed by the engineer as part of the conversion certification to get it registered.

I have seen a Winnebago here with a heavy recliner tied down loosely with a flimsy 1/4" bolt through the end of one of the timber feet down through the floor and that didn't look too sturdy.

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:31:21 AM »

I agree that furniture and other items will become projectiles with an Emerg. Stop. My swivel recliner has a 1" thick 30" dia base with a low center of gravity, It never moves. Tuff to move for me, Front recliner's base is securely attached to the floor however. All other furniture is built ins.
I think that any furniture with a higher center of mass will be a problem.
Good Luck
Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »

WOW, I can't believe the how some don't appreciate the damage that can be caused by moving things during a collision, be it with a truck or a ditch.

I'm not much on gambling, & when I do I hedge as much as possible & 'stack the deck' in my favor whenever possible.

I have NEVER planned on being in a collision, but I've been in a few. Amazing how much loose stuff moves around.

But whatever, do it your way, it may be your funeral.  Cry

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: