Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:39:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding down furniture while driving  (Read 3534 times)
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »

Since I'm getting close to ditching that jr.member status I'll post this question, then I'll be one closer.
What does everyone do with those pieces of furniture that are best not permanently mounted while driving?
I have 2 swivel recliners in my living room area each has a foot stool.  I don't want to fix their location as the room isn't large and where they are is highly dependent on how they are being used.  I'm thinking of using a ratchet strap to hold them along the wall while traveling.  Has anyone else done something like that?
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

Jerry, could you put them in the chairs and attach with a short bungie while driving?  Or maybe lie them down in your tub? 

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »

Hello Jerry.

We use an extensive number of ratchet tie downs to hold all sorts of temporary furniture as we close in on the final design.

The original seat track down the wall works great with short carriage bolts, with just enough of one side of the head ground off to allow them to be inserted and turned anywhere and the angle bracket of your choice bolted to it all to attach the hook end of the strap.

On arrival, undo and re-position everything from chairs to dressers to water cooler to refrigerators.... you get the idea!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

I have a free standing table and chairs on a tile floor.I don't tie them down and they stay in place while we travel.They only moved one time (panic stop). They only moved about 2 inches.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »

Bubbagal,
   While the tub is the ultimate child safety seat, with the closet above of course, it's reserved for holding all the open containers of adult beverage.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »

But with the stools there, you can sit and drink and don't have to worry about falling over.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »

Bubbagal,
   Hadn't thought of that, also spills are no problem either.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
cody

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »

I have a recliner and a chair, sitting on carpeting, they don't move at all on the road unless I have a panic stop then they may move a couple of inches, not a problem for me.  Have thought about installing a mother-in-law launcher tho at times lol.
captain ron

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »

My ratchet strap holds the door closed Grin
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »

How about legirons or handcuffs, they are probably avalilable with Harley Davidson embems on them at Adam and Eve's

When parked you could still put them to good use.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »

Hello.

Folks, you want to worry about how far they will move if you hit something, not how far they move when you put on full brakes.

Ask any experienced collision reconstructionist about the number of folks killed by stuff inside their vehicles whacking them from behind when involved in front end collisions. The forces are way higher than the brakes can generate.

I'm good, so are you, but we can't stop the drunk from crossing the line coming towards us.

Tie 'em off with something, anything, so they don't become missiles!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

Jerry, my similar chair doesn't move! It's the newer euro style with a round wooden base. I can barely move it manually!
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:35:12 AM »

The heavier the bit of furniture, the harder it will belt you on the back of the head when you hit something a bit harder than a drunk crossing the road.  The best your brakes can do is something well under half a gee. Hit something hard and it will produce several gee.

I have some angle brackets bolted at the original chair rail mounting points and all moveable furniture is tied with 5/8" diameter rope lanyards. A loop spliced onto one end allows the rope to be fixed around a convenient part of the item and a snap hook on the other end goes on to the angle bracket. Each of the ropes is just long enough to allow thae item to be used normally for short stops and is easily removable io allow more movement during extended stops. Obviously the ropes aren't going to hold in a head-on with a semi, but I figure a bit of flying furniture will be the least of my problems. The system was passed by the engineer as part of the conversion certification to get it registered.

I have seen a Winnebago here with a heavy recliner tied down loosely with a flimsy 1/4" bolt through the end of one of the timber feet down through the floor and that didn't look too sturdy.

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:31:21 AM »

I agree that furniture and other items will become projectiles with an Emerg. Stop. My swivel recliner has a 1" thick 30" dia base with a low center of gravity, It never moves. Tuff to move for me, Front recliner's base is securely attached to the floor however. All other furniture is built ins.
I think that any furniture with a higher center of mass will be a problem.
Good Luck
Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »

WOW, I can't believe the how some don't appreciate the damage that can be caused by moving things during a collision, be it with a truck or a ditch.

I'm not much on gambling, & when I do I hedge as much as possible & 'stack the deck' in my favor whenever possible.

I have NEVER planned on being in a collision, but I've been in a few. Amazing how much loose stuff moves around.

But whatever, do it your way, it may be your funeral.  Cry

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »

I can't believe how many of you seem to think that "a little" movement of major pieces of furniture is OK.  I don't even like having a loose coffee pot on the counter.  I don't care how little it moves in a panic stop - if it moves at all then it will kill you in a collision.  Its up to you.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »

The only loose furniture in mine are two rocker/recliners.  They are chained to the floor with about 18" of chain and a quick link.  That allows enough movement to arrange them as we wish when stopped but they won't fly around.  We have never had the need to unhook them but the capability is there.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »

Ok I guess i will just have to start this off the right way...

It must be the really soft and comfortable air ride of the Prevost H model that spoils me from having to strap, bolt, chain, rope, weld, tie wrap, bungee, cable, or whatever it is you use to hold furniture from moving.  Wink

I figure this way. If you have to stop THAT suddenly, you obviously need driving instructions AND if you DO hit someone or something, or if someone hits you, the front end crash is more likely to hurt you WAY worse than a piece of furniture will.

Maybe what some of you that are paranoid of flying "stuff" should do is "BACK OFF" just a little bit where you won"t HAVE to slam on the brakes!

Could it be that you didn't learn a valuable lesson from my friend Dan's unfortunate mishap?  Roll Eyes

Oh well... I will admit the only thing I DO bungee while traveling is my 2 top heavy Bar Stools and that is to keep them from falling over and doing damage to themselves. They weren't cheap but I AM!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »

Yet another test for Mythbusters to do....

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 12:17:29 PM »

A question to those that don't tie stuff down, Do you wear a seat belt?

Why, or why not?

To those that have not had the experience of the unavoidable collision, I hope your luck continues.

RE Dan's mishap, I shudder to think of how much worse it would have been if he had been hit by the likes of a loose table.

Stuff happens, I just don't want to be under it when it does.

Dr Dave, who is gonna donate a prevost for them to wad up? Would be fun to watch tho! Smiley

I saw crash films in high school driver's ed (that was eons ago). One showed what a tool box in the trunk can do to the occupants in the car in a collision. What a mess for someone else to clean up.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »

Speaking of mother-in-law launcher. That gives me an idea.  The planes I worked on during the Vietnam era were equipped with ejection seats.  Must be some of those still around at a surplus place...

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »

Kyle yea I wear a seatbelt but not to keep me IN the seat. It's the law, and I said I was cheap! Sure don't want to spend money on a ticket you know! Besides, a seatbelt is going to do exactly what, in a crash from the result of slamming on the brakes? Hold me in one place while they cut me out?

As for Dan and his bus? Would you believe he had a REAL piano in the living room? Hmm, to my knowledge, that wasn't the problem and you really can't BIGGER than that now can you? Did it move? Probably some, but it wasn't the piano that pinned him in the bus!

If I were you guys that are so worried about flying furniture, I would look more at what you could do to protect YOURSELF from the front more so than the rear! Only ONE person I know of that has done that and he rebuilt the whole front of his Eagle to do so, hence the space shuttle bus! Ask Bill WHY he did what he did!

I will say this again! If your furniture or "stuff" moves from hitting the brakes in a BUS, then you need to either slow DOWN, back OFF, or BOTH but hey what do I know? I don't drive a scenic!  Wink

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »

ace, just for the record, I'm not worried about stuff moving when I hit the brakes. I am concerned about what may happen if something renders my driving input useless - not so much because of my brain fart or mechanical failure on my bus - the actions of others can be so unpredictable.

I wear a seatbelt to keep me from being a projectile.

your bus, your way

btw, if you haven't ridden a scenic, you are missing the smoothest ride out there  Grin

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

Kyle that's all good but if YOU haven't ridden OR driven a Prevost H Model than I understand why you would feel the way you do!  Cheesy

I don't see many scenics being used for groups touring nor do I see many if ANY pro builders seeking them out for their comfort. What I DO see is well, need I say more other than if you haven't tried it then don't knock it! Oh and YES I have ridden in a scenic just for the record. It was just before I purchased my first 4107 mini buffalo which I thought at the time had to be the best thing since cold beer but times have changed and so has the ride! I will stake claim to that with anyone!  Grin

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Dallas

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »

OK, Guys, The arguing will stop. Now.

Just a reminder from your friendly moderators.

Dallas
cody

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

In my reply I downplayed the effect of flying furniture but in fact it is a very real possibility, a few years ago we had an elderly couple get killed in a RV accident up here before I retired, I was one of the responders.  It was pretty gruesome with both being projected thru the windshield (no seatbelt usage) what surprised me the most was a footstool in the woods approximately 75 feet beyond where they were found, in practice, I clean off the countertop, and put everything away including the toaster and coffee pot, the chair and recliner arn't secured to the floor but probably should be.  On a side note, I got the pleasure of a ride in a scenic cruiser and the ride was great, it was almost as smooth as my eagle, on this forum we have more than a bunch of bus nuts, we have a group of people preserving a very valuable part of our past, many of the great old buses would be lost to all of us if not for this dedication, and that not only goes for the cruisers but the flxibles, brills, etc.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »

OK, Guys, The arguing will stop. Now.

Just a reminder from your friendly moderators.

Dallas

Who was arguing? Me & ace haven't started yet, we wus just discussing things from different sides of the fence, no hard feelings at all. Heck, we weren't even close to name calling or yelling  Grin

Do you want us to start argueing so we can stop, I'm sure we can accomodate you  Grin  Grin  Grin

I'm glad he loves his bus, with the work he's done it shows. If everyone sought out a scenic, I wouldn't be able to afford one, much less 4!  Grin

btw, red bull is converting a scenic for promotional use at nascar events. Boy howdy, that sure pissed off some scenicruiser purist!

Cody is right on about saving old buses, If I won the lottery, I wouldn't know what to do with so many cool buses to choose from! It's the variety that makes us all great!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:45:58 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

Yea Dallas, who's arguing? Can't we even have a discussion on a discussion board anymore?  Huh

Guess this thread will soon be deleted huh Kyle?

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »

Hope not, Good food for thought here.

But I doubt that I'll suffer from lost sleep if it is deleted.  Grin

Dallas is just making sure we don't start another pissing contest - He knows how I can't resist a good one  Grin

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »

Hah... you think?  Roll Eyes

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »

OK, I gotta comment about the set belts. At our first Bussin' rally a great guy named Jim Stone attended in his beautiful Eagle. That following summer, he was heading to Bat Cave, NC.  From the reports of witnesses, it appears he blew a right front tire and the bus swerved off the road onto the shoulder. Although the bus did not hit an abutment or anything large enough to stop it completely, it hit something that caused a rapid deceleration, throwing Jim and a passenger through the windshields. Because the bus was still moving, it ran over both of them before rolling down an incline and coming to rest on its side. Both were killed. Had they had seat belts on, they probably would have stayed inside the bus riding it down the incline. Yes, they would have probably been injured, but not killed.
    Just a couple weeks ago the governor of NJ, was seriously injured in a rollover with no seat belts.  In my 28 years of riding an emergency rescue (ambulance). I saw so many fatalities and serious injuries that could have been lessened by the use of seat belts.
    2 weeks ago a friend's 16 year old granddaughter was hit head -on by a drunk driver. She had on her seatbelt.  She suffered an open fracture of her upper leg and a closed fracture of that same lower leg and will spend months in rehab. Without the belts, she would probably have been killed. A lot of intrusion into the passenger compartment.
    Yes, it is the law, but some people just do not get it!.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »

Mythbusters did do a similar test. they did one with a car and a bowling ball on the package tray along with other items to see what would happen in a quick stop. if I recall on slowing down there was not much activity but in a case of stopping the car like it had hit something I think the bowling ball went through the windshield. I dont know if there is a way of finding that episode but it may be on their website. as far as seatbelts, in years of running offshore race boats we always wore a 5 point harness in the canopy boats and I know that more than keeping you held down it allowed you to concentrate on driving the boat instead of trying to keep yourself in place. personally after that I dont go anywhere without a selt belt.
Dreamscape

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »

SAFETY SHOULD BE ON EVERYONES MIND.....ALL THE TIME....

It just make sense! I for one would like to be around a long time and enjoy all life has to offer! Premature death is just that, when you could have taken more walks holding hands, saying I Love You and giving your life more meaning, touching other loved ones lives.

For those that abuse the reason for being safe is just plain senseless.....It just saddens me....

Paul
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »

I am a little sad on my daily seatbelt use but getting better. Almost always wear one in the coach after the Jim Stone accident. Jim was one funny guy! I only met him once and was stunned the next year when Bill and Jack told us what had happened. It seems to be a common occurrence with buses. It happened just last week on Long Island when a charter bus driver somehow got on a Parkway (no trucks or commercial vehicles on parkways, low bridges!) hit a guardrail and got thrown thru the windshield and killed. There was a thread about the force on pedestal bolts in a wreck (measured in the thousand of pounds) just the other day. You cant have anything loose in your coach! If your cavalier about safety, think about how much it will cost to replace the windshields!!!!

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
captain ron

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 08:44:53 PM »

The only real furniture I have loose in my bus is my futon and file cabinet. There are a few other tings loose in the cabin but not furniture, hopefully all of that stuff will be used up or gotten rid of soon. The furniture will all be pretty permanent when I'm done with my bus. I have more movement from side to side than back to front.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:18 AM »

I have more movement from side to side than back to front.
The problem is not what happens during normal driving, but what will happen in a rapid deceleration.  Although no one plans to be in an accident, s&*t happens.
  Wearing a seatbelt everytime we get in a vehicle is probably more difficult for many of us because we grew up when there were no seat belts.  It took me many years, but when I sarted riding on the rescue and saw the results of un-restrained passengers in accidents, it certainly helped remind me to buckle up. Jack
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:37:59 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 06:14:33 AM »

After working as a RR engineer and seeing many accidents. I came to the conclusion that we clean up accidents too quickly in this country. Most people suffer from a false sense of invincibility,the superman syndrome.
 Then we are lulled into a false sense of security (denial) by the quick removal of the aftermath of the tragedy.
 If there were a pile of wrecked cars at RR Xings there might be less wrecks. The same would hold true of auto accidents.
 If you race a train to a crossing WE WIN ALL TIES!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 07:34:33 AM »

Train vs car = car vs soda can.   Shocked Shocked

Drive defesively, secure the loose stuff, wear your seat belt, and don't argue with trains. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:12 AM »

. . . we clean up accidents too quickly in this country. Most people suffer from a false sense of invincibility,the superman syndrome.
 Then we are lulled into a false sense of security (denial) by the quick removal of the aftermath of the tragedy.

You are on to something there! Some can't understand something until they see it - & some must experience it first.

Locally, the coroner started painting crosses on the road where fatalaties had occurred. Amazing to me how many were showing up!

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: