Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 07:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding down furniture while driving  (Read 3330 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »

I can't believe how many of you seem to think that "a little" movement of major pieces of furniture is OK.  I don't even like having a loose coffee pot on the counter.  I don't care how little it moves in a panic stop - if it moves at all then it will kill you in a collision.  Its up to you.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »

The only loose furniture in mine are two rocker/recliners.  They are chained to the floor with about 18" of chain and a quick link.  That allows enough movement to arrange them as we wish when stopped but they won't fly around.  We have never had the need to unhook them but the capability is there.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »

Ok I guess i will just have to start this off the right way...

It must be the really soft and comfortable air ride of the Prevost H model that spoils me from having to strap, bolt, chain, rope, weld, tie wrap, bungee, cable, or whatever it is you use to hold furniture from moving.  Wink

I figure this way. If you have to stop THAT suddenly, you obviously need driving instructions AND if you DO hit someone or something, or if someone hits you, the front end crash is more likely to hurt you WAY worse than a piece of furniture will.

Maybe what some of you that are paranoid of flying "stuff" should do is "BACK OFF" just a little bit where you won"t HAVE to slam on the brakes!

Could it be that you didn't learn a valuable lesson from my friend Dan's unfortunate mishap?  Roll Eyes

Oh well... I will admit the only thing I DO bungee while traveling is my 2 top heavy Bar Stools and that is to keep them from falling over and doing damage to themselves. They weren't cheap but I AM!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »

Yet another test for Mythbusters to do....

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 12:17:29 PM »

A question to those that don't tie stuff down, Do you wear a seat belt?

Why, or why not?

To those that have not had the experience of the unavoidable collision, I hope your luck continues.

RE Dan's mishap, I shudder to think of how much worse it would have been if he had been hit by the likes of a loose table.

Stuff happens, I just don't want to be under it when it does.

Dr Dave, who is gonna donate a prevost for them to wad up? Would be fun to watch tho! Smiley

I saw crash films in high school driver's ed (that was eons ago). One showed what a tool box in the trunk can do to the occupants in the car in a collision. What a mess for someone else to clean up.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »

Speaking of mother-in-law launcher. That gives me an idea.  The planes I worked on during the Vietnam era were equipped with ejection seats.  Must be some of those still around at a surplus place...

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »

Kyle yea I wear a seatbelt but not to keep me IN the seat. It's the law, and I said I was cheap! Sure don't want to spend money on a ticket you know! Besides, a seatbelt is going to do exactly what, in a crash from the result of slamming on the brakes? Hold me in one place while they cut me out?

As for Dan and his bus? Would you believe he had a REAL piano in the living room? Hmm, to my knowledge, that wasn't the problem and you really can't BIGGER than that now can you? Did it move? Probably some, but it wasn't the piano that pinned him in the bus!

If I were you guys that are so worried about flying furniture, I would look more at what you could do to protect YOURSELF from the front more so than the rear! Only ONE person I know of that has done that and he rebuilt the whole front of his Eagle to do so, hence the space shuttle bus! Ask Bill WHY he did what he did!

I will say this again! If your furniture or "stuff" moves from hitting the brakes in a BUS, then you need to either slow DOWN, back OFF, or BOTH but hey what do I know? I don't drive a scenic!  Wink

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »

ace, just for the record, I'm not worried about stuff moving when I hit the brakes. I am concerned about what may happen if something renders my driving input useless - not so much because of my brain fart or mechanical failure on my bus - the actions of others can be so unpredictable.

I wear a seatbelt to keep me from being a projectile.

your bus, your way

btw, if you haven't ridden a scenic, you are missing the smoothest ride out there  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

Kyle that's all good but if YOU haven't ridden OR driven a Prevost H Model than I understand why you would feel the way you do!  Cheesy

I don't see many scenics being used for groups touring nor do I see many if ANY pro builders seeking them out for their comfort. What I DO see is well, need I say more other than if you haven't tried it then don't knock it! Oh and YES I have ridden in a scenic just for the record. It was just before I purchased my first 4107 mini buffalo which I thought at the time had to be the best thing since cold beer but times have changed and so has the ride! I will stake claim to that with anyone!  Grin

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Dallas

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »

OK, Guys, The arguing will stop. Now.

Just a reminder from your friendly moderators.

Dallas
cody

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

In my reply I downplayed the effect of flying furniture but in fact it is a very real possibility, a few years ago we had an elderly couple get killed in a RV accident up here before I retired, I was one of the responders.  It was pretty gruesome with both being projected thru the windshield (no seatbelt usage) what surprised me the most was a footstool in the woods approximately 75 feet beyond where they were found, in practice, I clean off the countertop, and put everything away including the toaster and coffee pot, the chair and recliner arn't secured to the floor but probably should be.  On a side note, I got the pleasure of a ride in a scenic cruiser and the ride was great, it was almost as smooth as my eagle, on this forum we have more than a bunch of bus nuts, we have a group of people preserving a very valuable part of our past, many of the great old buses would be lost to all of us if not for this dedication, and that not only goes for the cruisers but the flxibles, brills, etc.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »

OK, Guys, The arguing will stop. Now.

Just a reminder from your friendly moderators.

Dallas

Who was arguing? Me & ace haven't started yet, we wus just discussing things from different sides of the fence, no hard feelings at all. Heck, we weren't even close to name calling or yelling  Grin

Do you want us to start argueing so we can stop, I'm sure we can accomodate you  Grin  Grin  Grin

I'm glad he loves his bus, with the work he's done it shows. If everyone sought out a scenic, I wouldn't be able to afford one, much less 4!  Grin

btw, red bull is converting a scenic for promotional use at nascar events. Boy howdy, that sure pissed off some scenicruiser purist!

Cody is right on about saving old buses, If I won the lottery, I wouldn't know what to do with so many cool buses to choose from! It's the variety that makes us all great!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:45:58 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

Yea Dallas, who's arguing? Can't we even have a discussion on a discussion board anymore?  Huh

Guess this thread will soon be deleted huh Kyle?

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »

Hope not, Good food for thought here.

But I doubt that I'll suffer from lost sleep if it is deleted.  Grin

Dallas is just making sure we don't start another pissing contest - He knows how I can't resist a good one  Grin

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »

Hah... you think?  Roll Eyes

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: