Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 06:49:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Theives  (Read 4465 times)
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »

I was headed to the North West and stopped in Battle Mountain NV at the Flying J truck stop. I went inside to get a bite to eat.

As I came out to bus I noticed a pickup parked along side of bus and did my walk around and retighten hold down on straps on Toad Dolly. I notice the Pickup had a white and a blue plastic drum in back.

As I came up the passenger side of bus I notice fuel door was open on the side of bus and the fuel cap was open.

I closed both and not suspecting anything I started North to Jordan Valley I was about 2 miles from Jordan Valley and ran out of fuel &^%$*&^%$ I now realize what the two guys did was hit me for about 85 to 100 gallons of fuel plus a service call of 130 dollars plus 50 gal of fuel at 3.59 per gallon needless to say I will be putting a lock on fuel compartment door.

Larry H

in North Idaho to see 1st grandson graduate from High school.

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »

Larry, That stinks.....

Time to get a lock on the fuel door.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »

I though of that happing, so put locking fuel caps on.

Pete & Jean
        Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »

dang...

If you can't trust people at truck stops, who can you trust...

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »

I have a spiral spring in the filler neck on my coach, making it impossible to steal my fuel in that manner. I'm sure they'll think of another way to get it.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »

Hi larryh,
Thank you for alerting us to the problem of fuel theft at a truck stop. We have stopped at and stayed at truck stops on many of our trips and never felt at risk to ourselves or our bus. That has now changed. We will be adding a lock to our fuel compartment door too. I'm so sorry that you had this bad experience but thanks again for the warning.
Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »

I hope there is a front row seat in Hell for someone like that. Angry
belfert

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:21:39 AM »

I read over on another RV board of someone with an HDT pulling a fiver losing almost 270 gallons.  He had the HDT and fiver parked in a corner of his yard at home.

I need to get new locks for my fuel doors as I didn't get the keys and my local locksmith won't rekey them.  For some reason, Dina put great big doors on each side of the bus for the fuel tank, but they also put little doors that could be used for fueling.  The little doors are worthless and don't have locks so I am going to fasten them shut.
cody

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 05:45:06 AM »

We put locks on each of the fuel doors last year, had talked to a guy that had been hit for over 100 gallons and he was having them put on so we did too, it was a simple painless process, just fold over latchs with 2 master locks on them, wouldn't stop a set of bolt cutters but would discourage most of the would be thieves.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a semi-related question. Has anyone connected a recorder to their backup camera? I have not bought a camera yet but I was thinking about a 3 camera setup (rear & both sides) & wondering if I could send the signals to a recorder. It would be very handy for situations like this.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:33:54 PM »

We had this happen in a campground one night.  We filled before leaving home and drove about 100 miles.  When we got ready to leave, we checked the fuel.  Just because we always checked it.  Well, it was almost empty.  We had to use our five gallon can to get to a station.  They did it at night and we never heard a thing.  There is a chain and lock on the fill cap now. 

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 03:07:11 AM »

Maybe we should figure out a way to put the Black water tank where the fuel tank is.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Dreamscape

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 04:02:16 AM »

Now that is a novel idea  Grin

Paul
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 06:11:02 AM »

And a VEEEEEEEERY GOOD one!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »

Reminds me of the old story about the fuel thief that got a mouth full of black water after going to the WRONG tank. Don't know how that is possible but makes a good story. Today's courts would probably go after you for setting up the thief to hurt himself.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: