Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 09:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Van Hool  (Read 1209 times)
JT4SC

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »

Is there a general reputation this manufacturer has??  I know most people say MCI is the best bus out there, and Eagle makes a great conversion, etc.  Is there that sort of broad-based opinion for Van Hool??
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:46:06 PM »

JT -

Lots of VanHools out there, primarily due to ABC Bus Company's creative financing, which is much more liberal than MCIs.  (ABC is the importer of these Belgian coaches.)

IIRC, they use a birdcage construction, similar to Eagle.

Not sure about their dependability, perhaps Busted Knuckle or Luke can provide some additional input from their perspective.

Plug-type front door could provide some very interesting challenges compared to the simple sedan doors on non-commuter MCIs and Prevosts.

Have a long rear overhang, lots are seen with crunched rear quarters.

Finally, IMHO, they're ugly.   Shocked

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:42:08 AM »

One of the good things about Van Hool is they almost always used four stroke engines.  MAN engines for the real old ones, Cummins L10 for the olders ones, and a combination of Cummins M11/ISM and Series 60 on the newer ones. 

Disadvantages for conversion include dropped aisle, low headroom, plug type door, and one source for parts.  Advantages for conversion are fairly inexpensive for four stroke motor and unique european styling.

Van Hool didn't use a stainless steel frame until 1995.  They rust badly when used in the rust belt!  I saw one at ABC Companies that was totally rusted out.  The engine door was held on with baling wire as the hinges were rusted through!  (Don't ask me how ABC thought they would ever sell that one.)  I don't recall if the body was steel or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: